Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3016209

Subject: "jamila woods - legacy! legacy!" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Tue May-14-19 11:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"jamila woods - legacy! legacy!"

Came out Friday. Can't stop playing it. This is giving me real Res vibes circa "How I Do". Maybe a few of the same flaws, too - the guitar on "Muddy" should be louder, maybe even a bit harsher, lean into the rock edge more where it's right; Saba's feature is unnecessary on what is otherwise a stellar track (that second beat that comes in half-way? jeezy creezy). Eager to get the physical so I can see some production credits.

But overall this is a great second release from Woods(loved HEAVN): beautiful concept, beautiful execution, and let's be honest it had me at the mfing TRACKLIST. This year has been *stellar* musically so far but I would not be surprised if this nears the top of my year-end list (or at least gets most spins --- it just seems perfect for mood right now).

1 BETTY
2 ZORA
3 GIOVANNI
4 SONIA (Ft. Nitty Scott)
5 FRIDA
6 EARTHA
7 MILES
8 MUDDY
9 BASQUIAT (Ft. Saba)
10 SUN RA (Ft. Jasminfire & ​theMIND)
11 OCTAVIA
12 BALDWIN (Ft. Nico Segal)
13 BETTY (for Boogie)

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm digging it a lot too
May 14th 2019
great album
May 14th 2019
RE: great album
May 15th 2019
      RE: great album
May 15th 2019
she breaks down each song here
May 15th 2019
Great album
May 15th 2019
Amazing album
May 16th 2019

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Tue May-14-19 11:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm digging it a lot too"
In response to Reply # 0

Frida
Eartha
Sun Ra

Are probably my favorite tracks right now.
I'll be copping the vinyl at the end of the month.
I thought HEAVN was such a timely album when it came out. And so damn good, and so damn overlooked. I feel this will probably the same. But Jamila does an incredible job of makes songs dealing with the progressive issues of the day without making them feel cliché or like she's just using the current crop of buzzwords. She makes it personal and it's fantastic.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue May-14-19 05:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "great album"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-14-19 05:29 PM by Kosa12

I really liked HEAVN and this album completely delivers on the promise that was on display there. Everything has taken a step up and I love her writing. Bought this yesterday and can't stop playing and yes - it had me at the track list as well. The only track I am lukewarm about at the moment is "MUDDY" - though I do get what she was going for it seems a bit shoddily executed in comparison to the rest of the tracklist. The reprise of Betty is a bit unnecessary as well, but it's a fun track. I think my favorite track right now is "GIOVANNI". The best part of this album IMO is how she manages to tie in the narratives/questions of the icons referenced into her personal life - this is much more than just a dedication piece. I also agree with you on the Saba feature, it just seems unnecessary (even though I am a fan of Saba)

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed May-15-19 02:11 PM

3. "RE: great album"
In response to Reply # 2

>The reprise of Betty is a bit unnecessary as well,
>but it's a fun track. I think my favorite track right now is
>"GIOVANNI".

Ditto on both counts - I like the reprise but it would have served just fine as a remix single - ending the album on BALDWIN would have been a classy move.

And GIOVANNI is exceptional - it's definitely been a "let me listen to that one more time" track, hitting rewind again and again...

>The best part of this album IMO is how she
>manages to tie in the narratives/questions of the icons
>referenced into her personal life - this is much more than
>just a dedication piece.

Yeah - her execution of the larger concept/idea was really on point here - the album isn't overly determined by their presence/stories but the references are unmistakable and quite meaningful in their new context. MILES: shut up motherfucker I don't take requests. SUN RA: since a little one I knew I was a martian. FRIDA: I like you better when you see me less/we could do it like Frida, we could build a bridge then I could come see ya. Everything sort of takes on a double-meaning but again without being too obvious or too on-the-nose...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed May-15-19 10:22 PM

6. "RE: great album"
In response to Reply # 3

>Yeah - her execution of the larger concept/idea was really on
>point here - the album isn't overly determined by their
>presence/stories but the references are unmistakable and quite
>meaningful in their new context. MILES: shut up motherfucker I
>don't take requests. SUN RA: since a little one I knew I was a
>martian. FRIDA: I like you better when you see me less/we
>could do it like Frida, we could build a bridge then I could
>come see ya. Everything sort of takes on a double-meaning but
>again without being too obvious or too on-the-nose...

Definitely agree. I've listened to the album in full a good amount of times today, after more listens, I actually really dig that Saba verse, at first I thought it was a bit too dense (wordy/speedy) for the setting, but now I just think it's dope. Weirdly enough, my two favorite tracks are "BASQUIAT" and "BALDWIN" now - "BALDWIN" probably is my favorite track lyrically.

----------

Kosa12
4988 posts
Wed May-15-19 03:16 PM

4. "she breaks down each song here"
In response to Reply # 0

https://pitchfork.com/features/song-by-song/jamila-woods-legacy-legacy-interview/

also reveals that the album was produced by Slot-A

----------

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed May-15-19 06:37 PM

5. "Great album"
In response to Reply # 0

Played it several times already

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Thu May-16-19 11:07 PM

7. "Amazing album"
In response to Reply # 0

That stretch with MILES, MUDDY and BASQUIAT...absolutely phenomenal

Lobby The Lesson topic #3016209 Previous topic | Next topic