Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3015182

Subject: "Best Concert You Attended (and ones you regret missing)" Previous topic | Next topic
Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 05:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Best Concert You Attended (and ones you regret missing)"

Notables:

1) Michael Jackson Bad Tour
2) Prince - "Love Symbol" Tour
3) Rock the Bells 2004 - Anaheim (Tribe Reunion, Xzibit, Jurassic 5 as headliners and there were liek 50k others)

(note: been to many others but most were only fair-to-middlin' experience wise)

The best was in 1994 at some hole-in-the-wall in ATL on Freaknic Weekend. The Lineup: Notorious BIG, Snoop, Wu-Tang. Seeing them all RIGHT when all their albums had first dropped (snoop, Wu) or about to Biggie was dope. I have never been in a place with that much weed smoke in the air. it was the livest crowd i've ever seen

as far as one's I regret missing I have 2:

1) Luther Vandross and Anita Baker joint tour
2) Prince when he did that 21-nights at the Forum in 2011
3) Anita Baker Farewell Tour

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Great shows
Apr 09th 2019
I’ve been to a lot of shows, so this is tough
Apr 09th 2019
It's tough to narrow down.
Apr 09th 2019
I'm still mad I missed that OutKast reunion show, too.
Apr 10th 2019
      at the release of SouthernPlayalistic..
Apr 10th 2019
           omg
Apr 10th 2019
           Why would you turn down a skirt chasing escapade tho?
Apr 12th 2019
                90s atlanta == the beauty of the ratio
Apr 13th 2019
We had a family dinner the night of Prince's last show.
Apr 10th 2019
two of my good friends went to that show
Apr 10th 2019
RE: Best Concert You Attended (and ones you regret missing)
Apr 10th 2019
I've got 5 shows that stand out above the rest to me.
Apr 10th 2019
Fantastic Negrito support that man. Amazing concert
Apr 10th 2019
The Roots @ Carnegie Mellon in '07
Apr 10th 2019
I missed meeting “In Search Of” Pharrell.
Apr 10th 2019
I saw Philip Glass play his greatest hits on the piano
Apr 11th 2019
The Fugees, The Roots & Goodie Mob
Apr 14th 2019
1 of my greatest live experiences was Common w/ A Black Girl Named Becky
Apr 14th 2019
I saw a leg of this tour as well - you're right, it was fucking excellen...
Apr 16th 2019
Meshell Ndegeocello...circa 1997-2000ish...
Apr 16th 2019
MeShell puts on a great show
Apr 16th 2019
so i'm gonna update: Meshell...circa 1997-2002ish...
Apr 18th 2019
I've seen tons, but uh...
Apr 16th 2019
i'm very jealous of this on here....
Apr 18th 2019
Best; Pearl Jam in philly 2013, Regret: Beasties/Rage
Apr 17th 2019
Saw Beasties three times
Apr 17th 2019
Those I remember
Apr 18th 2019
2002 Smokin' Grooves
Apr 18th 2019
Lollapalooza 96.
Apr 18th 2019
Damn! Yeah,,I shoulda included these two
Apr 19th 2019
Pink Floyd, December 8, 1987, Kingdome, Seattle
Apr 19th 2019
N.E.R.D in VA Beach
Apr 19th 2019
Well, shit !
Apr 19th 2019
Prodigy sometime in the 90s
Apr 20th 2019
from the opposite point of view
Apr 22nd 2019
Thank you for spelling it “biscuit” instead of Bizkit.
Apr 24th 2019
      Ahahahaha.
Apr 24th 2019
i skipped Isaac Hayes in Prospect Park
Apr 22nd 2019
handful from my NYC years
Apr 22nd 2019
My favorite was seeing BlackStar & Little Brother.
Apr 24th 2019
Cassandra Wilson Orchestra Hall Chicago winter 97
Apr 24th 2019

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 05:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Great shows"
In response to Reply # 0

Man, it would have been great to see those concerts you missed out on. Especially the Luther and Anita show.

I don't go to concerts much, but the best one was actually my first show, it was the Beastie Boys Hello Nasty arena tour in St. Louis. I almost flaked out and missed getting tickets. But I was finally able to score nosebleed seats. But the show was great. Money Mark was the opener but Tribe came out and KILLED it. It was great to rap along to all of their songs. Even my friends, who weren't into Tribe, really dug the show. And of course the Beasties were dope as well.

I've seen RAGE and Gangstarr back in 2000 which was dope. And RHCP and Foo Fighters around the same time. I was a fairly big Foo Fighters fan at that time but didn't really like RHCP. But both acts were really good live. Glad I went.

Saw The Roots three times. Once at the Okayplayer tour back in '99. The another random time at U of Texas a few years later and then at ACL in like 2006(?). Not that their studio releases aren't dope but man, they are just a legendary live act.

*side note*

I wished someone had convinced them to put out concert performances back in the Aughties. I know 15 was iffy on the idea because he felt it would tamp down on people paying for the shows. He could have been right, but they also could have served as loss leaders to advertise their concerts. I had a few bootleg ones and they were all anywhere from great to amazing. I know we get to see the band every weeknight on Jimmy's show but I miss seeing them perform for 2 or 3 hours in a set.

</plea>

The shows I wish I hadn't seen were Raekwon during the Immobilarity release and The Chemical Brothers, Underworld, and DJ Shadow.

The Raekwon show was just a bad show. No energy. Poor performance. And the songs from the new album weren't very good.

The Big Beat show wasn't bad in terms of music. I really liked all of the artists on the bill but it was my first electronic music show and it was stunning to see how boring it was, even with the light effects. I guess I'm used to musicians and rappers moving around on stage which gives off an energy. Seeing one or two people bobbing their head as they turn knobs just isn't interesting to me to see on stage. I probably just needed to be high.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 08:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I’ve been to a lot of shows, so this is tough"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m gonna stick to rap shows. Otherwise I’ll never be able to narrow this down. You will see a common denominator very quickly. Forgive the typos, I’m typing this on my phone.

The Roots/Public Enemy/and....Crucial Conflict in Atlanta. They were all great and surprisingly Crucial Conflict had the best show of the night. Those guys rap like they’re possessed. Scary high level of energy. I only knew one of their songs and still only know one of their songs but they killed it.

Goodie Mob opening slot for The Roots

Pharcyde/Roots show - Thought did all the Wu voices on Protect Ya Neck during HipHop 101. I think he impersonated Lyte for Cha Cha Cha that night too. Pharcyde has a great show, but I’m a big fan of seeing people get past mistakes. Unless I mixed this up with a different Pharcyde show (totally possible) they had some sound issue with the beats and seamlessly switched to Bootie Brown beatboxing for the show to continue. DJ dropped the beat back in and they kept going without missing a beat. This may have been the show where Quest broke a drumstick and kept playing with one stick until he pulled a replacement stick out of his Afro, but my memory is weird and that might have been a different show.

The Roots/Public Enemy/Living Colour - Thought caught the Holy Ghost

Tribe/De La in 93. I missed Souls because my friend Kamau was late. I’m still salty lmao

KRS in a small club in DC called the Ritz in 93. So packed when the crowd jumped, they lifted you off your feet without you even jumping. He was a special guest but wound up on stage longer than the guy on the bill. Who was Jeru. I only remember him doing Come Clean and his verse on I’m The Man. Maybe something else but KRS wiped his performance from my memory.

ODB lip syncing Brooklyn Zoo, stopping mid song when he saw me staring dead at him in disbelief that he was lip synching (he had actually stopped, holding the mic near his waist as he watched the crowd wilding out), then telling the DJ to rewind the track, and doing the whole song live from the top again with an insane level of energy. You can’t make shit like this up.

Main terrible show I remember is seeing Nature when he was so drunk he could barely stand. Jeru came through with opening act DJ Shadow and I remember Jeru being awful. His chant was getting the crowd to say “Jeru the Damaja, he’s no amateur” I walked to the bar and stayed in the back the rest of his set. Got in free

I forgot loads of shit.

Shout out to Gary Clark Jr and Maceo Parker for another one of my favorite shows but I wanted to keep this HipHop

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Apr-09-19 09:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "It's tough to narrow down."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-09-19 09:36 PM by Brew

Like spirit in his post above mine, I've been to so many it's just near impossible to name just one favorite, but I've got a few I'll start with at least.

Most Memorable:
- Spitkicker 2000 at the Palladium in Worcester (MA) ... I was still young enough to be totally blown away and star struck by the artistry of these newfound heroes of mine. Biz, Reflection Eternal, Common, De La Soul ... I mean damn. And it was just such a perfectly executed show. I still have the bubbles they threw out into the crowd, I got "Maseo's Spit" LOL

Most Notable:
- Rock the Bells 2008 on Randall's Island NY ... RATM reunion, plus WuTang, BlackStar, Nas, PE, Rakim, Badu, Monch, Murs, Cypress Hill. I mean, what a fucking lineup. Lot of great memories and stories from that show.

Favorites:
- Naughty by Nature, 2004 at the horseshoe in Southwest at UMass Amherst ... it was my sophomore year in college and this was seemingly just kind of a halfassed, random show they'd be putting on a week before the main event spring concert which featured a newly-famous 50 Cent (he fucking sucked, I can elaborate if anyone cares). Anyway obviously me and my friends were all Naughty fans (who isn't) but we didn't expect much cause by then they had kinda been forgotten and we figured they may kind of mail it in. But holy fuuuuuck did they put on an absolutely incredible show. My boys and I got right near the stage and they just blew us away. They played all the hits and were absolutely hype, so we were hype (and high) and it was dope as hell.

- Common & Talib Kweli, 2004 at Amherst College (MA) ... same time period, same crew, same type of small(er), more intimate crowd. This show was cool and unique cause they had like half the show planned; Comm did his relatively short set, Kweli did his own semi-short set ... then they came out together and literally just asked the crowd what songs we wanted to hear. I'd never experienced that before nor since. And it worked flawlessly. The crowd didn't disappoint, we covered all the classics and they did both songs they were on together and solo songs. For the solo songs, the other artist would play hype man and just interject when needed. It was soooo so dope. Glad I got to experience a unique show like that.

- PRhyme, 2015 at Paradise Rock Club in Boston ... again, a smaller, more intimate crowd (noticing a theme here ?) and in this case it was dope cause everyone in that place knew every word to every song so the whole fucking joint and the whole fucking show was HYPE. The first PRhyme album is probably in my top 3 of the last 5 years so at that point it was all I'd been listening to for the 4 or 5 months leading up to the show so we were all just jumping and rhyming along and it was awesome.

Show I regret missing:
- It's a bunch of artists I wish I'd seen over the years but the only one I actively *regret* (because I had the opportunity to go and waffled about it and didn't end up pulling the trigger) was the OutKast reunion a few years back. I kick the fucking sheets pretty much every night and beat myself up over not biting the bullet and making a trip to one of those shows. Ugh I'm cringing just typing this now. Probably the last chance I'll ever have to see one of my two favorite hip-hop groups and I waffled cause I would've had to travel for it. And I travel all the fucking time.

Ugh. Make it stop. Fuck me.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 07:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm still mad I missed that OutKast reunion show, too."
In response to Reply # 3

That had to be one of the worst years of my life, in all aspects.

BUT, I did get to see them and everyone else at the Dungeon Family reunion a few years ago, and I'm going to the show here in ATL next weekend.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 08:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "at the release of SouthernPlayalistic.. "
In response to Reply # 4

there was a barbeque/party/concert over *somebody's* house in Lithonia to celebrate the album coming out

my best friend (who was doing all kinda street-team stuff and had mad connects) offered me a chance to go, but I declined thinking it was gonna be another one of his skirt-chasing escapades

i was sick i didn't go when he told me how it turned out

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 09:08 AM

8. "omg"
In response to Reply # 6

>there was a barbeque/party/concert over *somebody's* house in
>Lithonia to celebrate the album coming out
>
>my best friend (who was doing all kinda street-team stuff and
>had mad connects) offered me a chance to go, but I declined
>thinking it was gonna be another one of his skirt-chasing
>escapades
>
>i was sick i didn't go when he told me how it turned out

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Apr-12-19 09:41 PM

15. "Why would you turn down a skirt chasing escapade tho?"
In response to Reply # 6

LOL

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Selah
16484 posts
Sat Apr-13-19 09:15 PM

16. "90s atlanta == the beauty of the ratio"
In response to Reply # 15

why chase something thats everywhere being GIVEN away

plus, by that point I was on some "I gotta graduate"

still shoulda went

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 07:37 AM

5. "We had a family dinner the night of Prince's last show."
In response to Reply # 0

My auntie, who could've easily gotten tickets, pulled her usual aloof fuckshit of "Oh, I didn't know you would've wanted to go *Kanye shrug*"

Selah
16484 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 08:50 AM

7. "two of my good friends went to that show"
In response to Reply # 5

both took phone pics and one actually recorded the part where the crowd was singing "how come you don't call me anymore" with him

had I been back in atl I *DEFINITELY* would have been there for that one

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 10:06 AM

9. "RE: Best Concert You Attended (and ones you regret missing)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-10-19 10:08 AM by upUPNorth

My list could go all over the place, from overall experiences to just quality.

The Root's Game Theory tour can't be left out, even if it's a given here.

Feist at the end of The Reminder's tour, finishing in Toronto, when everything about that whole set and performance had been perfected, was amazing.

Getting to see Souad Massi at an Onex Music Festival of Women (outside Geneva) when I was there for less than a week and not even planning for that still seems like a once in a lifetime thing. Didn't comprehend a word sung or spoken but the talent and quality of her and the band was evident.

The Rock the Bells tour that one year that came to Toronto, with the full Pharcyde reunion along with ATCQ as well, was up there, particularly because of the Pharcyde though, the other shows I got to see of them later only had 2 or 3 of them.

Blu's first show in Toronto following Below the Heavens, even though it was with Mainframe as his DJ, was pretty epic. Particularly the moment the entire crowd rapped his verse on 'Show me the Good Life' back to him and he just watched us. Amusingly, Drake showed up to see the opening act which was a local group that used to be part of his old ATF (All Things Fresh) crew that he was pushing, back in the Comeback Season days, wearing all black.

I wish I could've gotten to see a Michael Jackson show, but that was mostly 'before my time' of concert going. This reminds me of some classic acts I tried to see, like getting to see The Main Ingredient at this show that was totally for an older crowd and had us seated at tables, and where the Stylistics were the headliner but didn't show up. Getting to see a Smokey Robinson/Martha Reeves lineup for free at a Toronto TD Jazz Fest was pretty special, actually witnessing that style of Motown entertainment.

Never getting to see Franz Ferdinand back when I was big on them, and only ever seeing Arctic Monkeys open up once, always bothered me. It's hard for me to think of concerts I regret missing lately since I'm not going to concerts that often lately. That first LB show in Toronto, when I was still 18, that changed from being 19+, to all ages, back to 19+, that I got downtown only to not be allowed into, always bothered me, but I did get to see them and Foreign Exchange here eventually later on.

---------------------
Obviously White

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 11:00 AM

10. "I've got 5 shows that stand out above the rest to me."
In response to Reply # 0

Maxwell (Columbus, 1996) – “Urban Hang Suite” had dropped a couple months before but “Ascension” hadn’t hit its peak yet.. This show was only $6 and he performed the entire album. Killed it.

Prince (Detroit, 1999 or 2000) – Prince is an undeniable legend but I know mostly just the hits. Still, I was floored at the number of songs he had that I did recognize. I think this cat was on stage for nearly 3 hours.

Sade (Cleveland, 2001) – This show was just fire in every way shape & form. This was a flawless performance.

Kanye (Tampa, 2008) – I hate what this cat has become. But at this show, he rocked the spot. There were no lulls at all. The crowd was on it the entire time.

Damien Rice (Tampa, 2015) – This one may seem out of place. But if you listen to Damien Rice, you expect his show to be just him on stage, sitting on a stool with his acoustic guitar, singing his sad, melancholy songs. WRONG. © Charlie Murphy. Damien added an unexpected rock edge to several of his songs. And imagine the crowd successfully singing in a round to “Volcano.”

As far as missing out...

Bell Biv Devoe, Hammer and I think TLC – I got grounded so I couldn’t go. My brother was able to go though. My old man dropped him & some friends off. Several hours later, my Dad went to get him. I didn’t wanna go because I was salty. However, they didn’t get home a couple hours after Dad left. Apparently, the whole show started late so when my Dad got there, it was wasn’t even halfway over. They let my Dad in for free and he got to watch the rest of the show.

This one isn’t about me but it’s a good example of missing out. Sometime around 2008 or 2009, Lady Gaga came to a small venue near us. The tickets were about $15-$20. My girl liked her but wasn’t pressed. “She’ll be back in town.” Of course, Gaga blows up and my girl is a huge fan now. Last time Gaga was here, I think tickets started at something like $125 for nose bleed seats. We did not go.

aesop socks
Member since Sep 18th 2007
1223 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 02:56 PM

11. "Fantastic Negrito support that man. Amazing concert"
In response to Reply # 0

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 05:16 PM

12. "The Roots @ Carnegie Mellon in '07"
In response to Reply # 0

I've been on these boards since 04 (lurking longer) so getting to see the Roots for free in my freshman year was incredible. And they killed it as expected. Got the poster hanging up in my house.

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Wed Apr-10-19 11:19 PM

13. "I missed meeting “In Search Of” Pharrell."
In response to Reply # 0

NERD did a free show in Centennial Park and were just walking around afterwards, but some hood rat stole my sister’s 2-way so we missed the entire thing questioning niggas about it.

mind_grapes
Member since Nov 13th 2007
957 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 01:27 PM

14. "I saw Philip Glass play his greatest hits on the piano"
In response to Reply # 0

literally ten feet away from me. I was sitting right behind his sister and all his family who came out to see him. This was at the National Gallery of Art in DC.

I also saw Ms. Lauryn Hill play a stripped down set of her unplugged + some Bob Marley, Sade, and Roberta Flack covers back in...i wanna say 2015, during her Small Ax tour

I recently saw Jay Electronica play a show at Howard Theatre. Great venue and great crowd. It took me back.

Manuels Burrito
Member since Nov 25th 2009
113 posts
Sun Apr-14-19 01:15 AM

17. "The Fugees, The Roots & Goodie Mob"
In response to Reply # 0

At the Catalyst in Santa Cruz In 1996.

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sun Apr-14-19 07:30 PM

18. "1 of my greatest live experiences was Common w/ A Black Girl Named Becky"
In response to Reply # 0

in New Orleans for the Electric Circus tour.
Now I was a fan of the album, so hearing those songs live with the band kicked ass.

Then he did the classics (I Used to Love Her, Sun God, 1999, Respiration, TekZilla, Invocation.)
Also did LW4C stuff and freestyles over classic beats

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 09:34 AM

19. "I saw a leg of this tour as well - you're right, it was fucking excellen..."
In response to Reply # 18

I'm biased as he's my favorite artist but I've seen him no less than 20 times live and he *never* ceases to put on an incredible show. He knows how to rock a crowd. And yea - I think the EC show was among the best I've seen from him.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 05:12 PM

20. "Meshell Ndegeocello...circa 1997-2000ish..."
In response to Reply # 0

...saw many many of Meshell gigs during that era and I swear, those were some of the most satisfying live musical experiences I've ever had, from anyone, hands down period. If I remember I'll try to come back and narrow it down to 1 or two of em (if I can).

Shows I missed but wished I'd seen? Probably Ray Charles ...the great Ray was on my bucket list but unfortunately he passed before I ever got a chance to see him do his thang live n in person.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 05:59 PM

21. "MeShell puts on a great show"
In response to Reply # 20

I saw her in SF back on the Bitter tour. I can't remember if she had a band or if she was alone on stage just on guitar.

A really good show.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 07:08 AM

26. "so i'm gonna update: Meshell...circa 1997-2002ish..."
In response to Reply # 20

gonna update the year range to meshell cuz i THINK the MOST favorite show of hers that i attended in person MAY actually have been in 2001ish ?......im going back through my info now to try to confirm when it was, and will come back with the specifically reasons WHY i loved it, (and so many of her other live performances over the years)... why the ones that were my faves were my faves....

also, MUST give mentions to Dangelo & Jill Scott shows that i've attended. I've gone to several from each and they TOO had me leaving thoroughly satisfied in all cases.

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Apr-16-19 07:08 PM

22. "I've seen tons, but uh..."
In response to Reply # 0

The best?

1-Prince "Controversy" Tour
2-The Jacksons "Triumph" Tour
3-Parliafunkadelicment "The Return of the Mothership" Tour (4 hour non stop show with Bootsy!!)
4-A Tribe Called Quest at The Tabernacle
5-Prince "Welcome 2 America"

Shows I hate I missed?

1-The last Prince shows at the Fox. I didnt wanna see him again unless I took The Kid. Knowing it wouldnt be full show, I passed. SMMFH

2-Luther
3-This last Anita Baker tour

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 06:58 AM

25. "i'm very jealous of this on here...."
In response to Reply # 22

>3-Parliafunkadelicment "The Return of the Mothership" Tour (4 hour non stop show with Bootsy!!)>

...VERY jealous...

FunkyBoss
Member since Aug 31st 2002
1198 posts
Wed Apr-17-19 04:55 AM

23. "Best; Pearl Jam in philly 2013, Regret: Beasties/Rage"
In response to Reply # 0

I’m not even a typical obsessed Pearl Jam fan but the show was so good.

I am a typical obsessed beastie fan and love Rage. Technically I did not not attend. The tour was cancelled after Mike D forgot how to ride a bike and got busted up.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Apr-17-19 07:31 AM

24. "Saw Beasties three times"
In response to Reply # 23

1-Right before "...Ill" came out and nobody knew who they were

2-Right after "Ill Communication" came out and they were ding the live instrument thing

3-In '08 on the campaign trail amd MIx Master Mike was screwing up all their songs.

Saw Rage with Wu-Tang

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

IslaSoul
Member since Aug 01st 2003
5947 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 11:02 AM

27. "Those I remember"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-18-19 11:04 AM by IslaSoul

Jurassic 5 (around 1998, when they dropped their EP)
The Mars Volta (2005)
Digable Planets
Foreign Exchange
Kanye (when he just dropped Late Registration in a rather small venue)
Kamasi Washington
Prince (3 hour concert)
Shabazz Palaces
De La Soul
Q-Tip
Erykah Badu
The Roots (3 times)
Hiatus Kaiyote

Greatest disappointments

Nas (2002)
Mos Def
Action Bronson (HE left after 15 minutes lol)

http://islasoul.bandcamp.com

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 01:11 PM

28. "2002 Smokin' Grooves"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-18-19 01:11 PM by bentagain

Cee-lo opened, I think his first solo album had just dropped
Jurassic 5, great live show
The Roots, brought out Kelis for young, fresh and new
Lauryn, before the issues, an acoustic set
OutKast

I still think about this concert from time to time

Lifelong concert goer, but something about this show will always be the pinnacle

LCD Soundsystem at the Palladium last year
FYF 2012, my first festival experience, and I have been back almost every year

Missed;
Chappelle's block party
Mike
and Prince

I knocked off most of my concert bucket list
I think the only act left to see if the Gorillaz

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Thu Apr-18-19 10:17 PM

29. "Lollapalooza 96."
In response to Reply # 0

Rancid, RATM, Soundgarden, Metallica.
Main stage back to back to back to back.
An incredible late afternoon into night/
still think about that show.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 06:06 AM

30. "Damn! Yeah,,I shoulda included these two"
In response to Reply # 29

Lolla 92

Jesus and Mary Chain
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Ice Cube
Ministry
RHCP

and the Rage/Wu-Tang tour

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 01:09 PM

31. "Pink Floyd, December 8, 1987, Kingdome, Seattle"
In response to Reply # 0

It's hard to say which was a good mainstream show and which was a good underground/independent show. I saw a lot of great indie bands, some with an attendance of only five people and it was often far better than anything. I saw jazz musician Michael Brecker at a local high school and what blew me away was drummer Ben Perowsky.

As for shows I regret missing, Prince during the Lovesexy tour on November 15, 1988. I had the means but was not able to make the drive up the I-90.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 03:14 PM

32. "N.E.R.D in VA Beach"
In response to Reply # 0

Actually I'd give Lupe in 2013 the slight edge cause I met him after the show and he gave me the mic and let me rap part of the first verse of "Kick, Push" during the show. Honorable mention goes to Mos Def's "final" show before retiring at Kennedy Center

Regret missing Hiatus Kaiyote in Baltimore in 2016 and will NEVER forgive myself for missing Kendrick on his Kunta's Groove Sessions tour at U St Music Hall

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 11:20 PM

33. "Well, shit !"
In response to Reply # 32

>Actually I'd give Lupe in 2013 the slight edge cause I met
>him after the show and he gave me the mic and let me rap part
>of the first verse of "Kick, Push" during the show.

You tell this story as if it's an everyday event lol. That's dope man. Sounds like a blast; once in a lifetime type shit.

>Honorable
>mention goes to Mos Def's "final" show before retiring at
>Kennedy Center

Speaking of Mos' retirement, wasn't he supposed to drop like 2 albums 3 years ago then retire or something ? He just straight up skipped the first part huh. What's he up to ?

fanks
Member since Apr 07th 2013
74 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 05:21 AM

34. "Prodigy sometime in the 90s"
In response to Reply # 0

Jilted Generation era. Pop Will Eat Itself touring an album with German title and a song called Home, forget. Also 90s, also heavily medicated.

No regrets baybay

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 12:11 AM

35. "from the opposite point of view"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Voodoo Tour was a religious experience for me.
2. my Fav Roots tour?
a) the Fugees/Roots/Goodie Mob run of 96: the fun, the watergun fights w Lauryn, knowing we was finna kick ass when the world got whiff of Illadelph coming in Sept.
b) Game Theory- such a fun tour. having a new section of horns w us gave us newfound freedom and it was just.....fun (we did a Soul Train line right? I think for the period we were ending with Newbirth's "I Can Understand It"
c) the Ill Communication Tour of 95. more for us than yall as audience but everything I learned in life was on that tour
1) volume matters so the soundman has to be the 5th beatle.
2) lights and backdrop matter
3) a private chef can travel with you
4) the walk in music is just as important as the concert either make a kick ass mix or dj it yourself (mike d)
5) you MUST visit EVERY used wrecka stow in town and clean it out! (ad rock)
6) videogames is a must when traveling (hurricane)
7) use your free time on the bus to watch and educate yourself on films and docs (yauch)
8) always be kind and supportive your opening act for you NEVER know if they might surpass you in stature down the line (former Roots opening acts: Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Macy Gray, Amy Winhouse, Limp Biscuit, Foxy Brown, Mos Def, Nelly Furtado, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, BEP and so much more when they were in their infancy stage)

shit I missed:

1. tried to manipulate parents into letting me see Purple Rain Thanksgiving Philly Show 84. instead all I got was put on punishment
2. went to Vanity's funeral that morning. Prince also had a piano concert that night in Oakland. I think I opted to go to dinner with the 6 ladies (Apples, Susan, Brenda, Jamie Shoop) figuring id see this Prince show over and over again but the chance to have dinner and trade stories w the 6Mrs was an even rareer thing. of course I had no clue he was in the last 2 months of his life (his rendition of the Beautiful Ones for "Denise!!!!!!!!!!!!! I Want CHUUUUU" was one for the record books.
3. I slept on see the NE Heartbreak tour 88 w New Edition/Al B/Bobby Brown coulda went.

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

JFrost1117
23882 posts
Wed Apr-24-19 07:50 PM

39. "Thank you for spelling it “biscuit” instead of Bizkit."
In response to Reply # 35

Brew
24419 posts
Wed Apr-24-19 08:24 PM

40. "Ahahahaha."
In response to Reply # 39

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 12:35 PM

36. "i skipped Isaac Hayes in Prospect Park"
In response to Reply # 0

which turned out to be one of his last 5 shows ever
and i remember distinctly, i just didnt feel like going. I didnt have a conflict, it wasn't gross outside. No good excuse whatsoever. I just didn't feel like it. How LAME??

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 12:40 PM

37. "handful from my NYC years"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-22-19 12:40 PM by fontgangsta

jay-z reasonable doubt anniversary (radio city)
amy winehouse first n.american performance (joe's pub)
mayer hawthorne TUX and JADED shows
joshua redman for THIS alone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3TfH4bZyRY (jazz standard)
homeboy sandman unreleased music show (bluenote)
stevie SITKOL (msg)
elton NYE (barclays)
Gogo penguin and Junip (LPR (sep,shows))

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Wed Apr-24-19 02:06 PM

38. "My favorite was seeing BlackStar & Little Brother."
In response to Reply # 0

DJ Flash warmed up the crowd playing nothing but classic hip-hop bangers...and both groups played almost every song I wanted to hear.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Wed Apr-24-19 10:42 PM

41. "Cassandra Wilson Orchestra Hall Chicago winter 97"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-24-19 10:52 PM by Roadblock

Front row center stage seat. College graduation present to myself...capped off a trying period in life. Band was amazing, Cassandra was a major crush.

Bill was Jungle Brothers w/ Dug Infint No I.d and All Natural Double Door Chicago 96 /97
Basically Chi town hip hop party And Jungle Bros headlining. Common was in attendance just chill8ng with the rest of us. It was just fun

De La Soul / Busta Rhymes Tramps NYC. Stakes album was pumping so They featured it. Mos Def (first time seeing him outside the TV) did Brother Beat Common helped out with The Business. Busta and Q tip Did I’ll Vibe. Everyone did Buddy.

Regret missing KRS for years. Bucket list concert

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Lobby The Lesson topic #3015182 Previous topic | Next topic