Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014932

Subject: "What's the most underrated Prince song?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What's the most underrated Prince song?"

My vote is "Money Don't Matter 2 Nite". That joint should be in the Pantheon of Prince Prime material.

What you got?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Days of wild
Mar 29th 2019
I Hate You and Pink Cashmere
Mar 29th 2019
Dinner With Delores or Pink Cashmere
Mar 29th 2019
RE: What's the most underrated Prince song?
Mar 30th 2019
RE: What's the most underrated Prince song?
Apr 01st 2019
I never loved Baby I'm A Star
Apr 20th 2019
sooo...really good post...but...
Apr 01st 2019
Damn. All great tracks.
Apr 02nd 2019
co-sign on Joy in Repetition....
Apr 02nd 2019
unbelievable live versions out there too.
Apr 02nd 2019
      I. Was. There.
Apr 04th 2019
hell yeah to these.
Apr 03rd 2019
too many but i'll throw in power fantastic
Apr 02nd 2019
oh dang, that was on my list too!
Apr 03rd 2019
Hell. Yes.
Apr 04th 2019
thieves in the temple.
Apr 02nd 2019
damn, that's a good one.
Apr 03rd 2019
In Love
Apr 03rd 2019
This is sooooo loaded.
Apr 04th 2019
The Morning Papers is my shiiiiiiiiiiiit
Apr 22nd 2019
Live 4 Love
Apr 11th 2019
an unfukwitable playlist is being made from this thread
Apr 11th 2019
question of u
Apr 12th 2019
Annie Christian, Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) or It
Apr 12th 2019
if not for my self imposed 'post 88 only' rule...
Apr 12th 2019
And God Created Woman
Apr 12th 2019
I Love U in Me
Apr 15th 2019
Annie R U Ok
Apr 20th 2019
The Arms Of Orion
Apr 20th 2019

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13956 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 08:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Days of wild"
In response to Reply # 0

yep

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I Hate You and Pink Cashmere"
In response to Reply # 0

His classic albums top to bottom all coming in the 80s makes people forget some of his amazing songs in the 90s IMO.

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 10:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Dinner With Delores or Pink Cashmere"
In response to Reply # 0

Brownsugar
Charter member
9491 posts
Sat Mar-30-19 03:09 PM

4. "RE: What's the most underrated Prince song?"
In response to Reply # 0

>My vote is "Money Don't Matter 2 Nite". That joint should be
>in the Pantheon of Prince Prime material.
>
>What you got?

***I got, "Sexy MF" I didn't realize how good it was until I played it on my cd??? Is that weird??? I guess I didn't realize how good it was when I used to hear it on the radio !!!

I also got, "Get Off" + the MTV video version of this song = Total Fire !!!

Prince had quite a few under rated songs which folx didn't realize until after he left us...R.I.P. Prince !!!

I LUV U 2!!!

Eric B Is Prez
Member since Nov 08th 2005
4981 posts
Mon Apr-01-19 02:36 PM

5. "RE: What's the most underrated Prince song?"
In response to Reply # 0

I've heard people say Take Me With U is the weakest song on Purple Rain. I guess there technically has to be a relative weak point on every album, but that's a great fucking song.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 12:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "I never loved Baby I'm A Star"
In response to Reply # 5

I know the movie and album needed a potboiler song but I would say that's the weak spot..

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Apr-01-19 10:20 PM

6. "sooo...really good post...but..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-01-19 10:31 PM by Voodoochilde

great idea for a thread, but damn....there's a LOT of "underrated" "under-appreciated" cuts in the purple discography if you ask me...like TONS.

and, obviously it depends on what ones definition of "underrated" is too...cuz, I could say that "God: Love Theme From Purple Rain" (aka instrumental) is "underrated" even though I think it's one of his best tracks ever period....technically it could be called "underrated" cuz I'd say most of the general public/casual prince fan has never even heard the full track....

but...for the sake of not listing 100 songs like that here , I think I'm going to narrow my own scope to the era post 1988 (since MOST of what he put out prior to that year is 'generally' considered classic stuff, and many would say that after 88, his albums became 'uneven' for the most part, and 'forgettable' in some cases) and I'm only restricting my choices to 'officially' released stuff (Im NOT including any of the unreleased vault stuff or alt takes, cuz we could be here all night)....

so, with that context, here's a few to start with:

"Joy In Repetition"
(perfect track on a mostly weak album)

"Solo/LetitGo"
(I link these two together because I love the way the blend. I think of them as an intentional 'suite'. I don't know for sure, but I always felt like these two were more autobiographical in a more open/honest 'non-showey' way than he typically had been. again I could be wrong, I'm just guessing, but I felt they were honestly expressing where he was at that time)

"And God Created A Woman"
(this one snuck up on me. didn't appreciate it right away, as the album it was on was on wasn't one of my faves, but when I eventually DID notice this track, it grabbed and held on for good. its sneaky good especially on a good sound system)

those are a few that came to mind right away, prob try to come back with more....

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 12:54 PM

7. "Damn. All great tracks. "
In response to Reply # 6

Solo is the only one I really didn't know that well.

The others you mentioned are definitely after what people would recognize as his peak but I still think can stand up to anything from his peak period (though I think Joy In Repetition was made during his peak period).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 03:28 PM

8. "co-sign on Joy in Repetition...."
In response to Reply # 6

it is a perfect song...

easily to me his most underrated released song...

everything about it...lyrics...arrangement.... musicianship..

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 04:26 PM

9. "unbelievable live versions out there too."
In response to Reply # 8

thinking of the NYC aftershow party on the ONA tour and the solo piano version on the last tour.

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

soulpsychodelicyde
Member since Nov 18th 2003
12147 posts
Thu Apr-04-19 06:51 PM

16. "I. Was. There."
In response to Reply # 9

CRAZY

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Apr-03-19 10:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "hell yeah to these."
In response to Reply # 6

>"Joy In Repetition"
>(perfect track on a mostly weak album)

this one in particular, I know was conceived, maybe even recorded in the '80s... sounds like '90s R&B, before it even existed

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 04:27 PM

10. "too many but i'll throw in power fantastic"
In response to Reply # 0

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Wed Apr-03-19 06:12 AM

12. "oh dang, that was on my list too!"
In response to Reply # 10
Wed Apr-03-19 06:17 AM by Voodoochilde

I took it off because, as part of my self-imposed rules for this particular list (my rule saying that I wouldn't include unreleased 'boot' tracks, and that I'd only stick to post 88)...I first heard Power Fantastic on a boot wayyyy back when in the late 80s, so 'in my head' its a 'boot', but you're right, technically he DID 'officially' release it eventually in the 90's soooooo....

hell yeah thats DEFINITELY on my the list. Thats another under appreciated perfect gem

while we're 'in that mode' anyone know which (if any) version of "Crucial" was 'officially" released? (I have about 2-4 versions of it on boot with varying instrumentation treatments, and I dig them all but do have a favorite or two, so depending on which "Crucial" was released officially, that one might go in the list too..

soulpsychodelicyde
12147 posts
Thu Apr-04-19 06:52 PM

17. "Hell. Yes."
In response to Reply # 10

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Tue Apr-02-19 07:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "thieves in the temple."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-02-19 08:00 PM by tariqhu

dark.

when eye lay my eyes on you.

I hate you.

call my name.

man o' war

wherever you go, whatever you do

beautiful strange.

edit for 1 more: the dance.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Apr-03-19 10:54 AM

13. "damn, that's a good one."
In response to Reply # 0

Immediately I go to "My Love Is Forever".
people tend to forget P's first album as it was, but the first I ever heard that song it was REWIND, REWIND, REWIND...

but yeah, "Money Don't Matter 2 Nite" is one of Prince's GOAT. a NY Route 76 crusin' classic

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

aesop socks
Member since Sep 18th 2007
1223 posts
Wed Apr-03-19 02:27 PM

15. "In Love "
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure if I’ve ever heard it live but that could have been a tour staple

soulpsychodelicyde
12147 posts
Thu Apr-04-19 07:07 PM

18. "This is sooooo loaded."
In response to Reply # 0

Because as someone mentioned, so much of P's music never charted or was even released. So is it underrated or unheard? ANYHOOZ... my partial list includes:

Purple Music
The Line
Baby You're a Trip (This one had me bawling at the damn tow place soon after he died. Cop thought I needed to go to the hospital. SMH.)
Incense & Candles
Moonbeam Levels
Elephants & Flowers
Annie Christian
Ripopgodazippa
Black Muse
The Morning Papers (I cannot express how much I love this song)
Mountains
The Ballad of Dorothy Parker
U Make My Sun Shine
Sticky Like Glue
Lolita
La La La, Hee Hee Hee
200 Balloons

and...

Joy in Repetition. This is easily a top 5 P track for me. Easily. And there isn't a version of this that doesn't make me wanna weep. The house version?!?!?! It's almost too much... like... I can't even take how dope it is.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10981 posts
Mon Apr-22-19 09:54 PM

29. "The Morning Papers is my shiiiiiiiiiiiit"
In response to Reply # 18
Mon Apr-22-19 09:58 PM by spenzalii

I had the performance from Arsenio on tape so long it corroded. Fortunately, there's Youtube for the save:

https://youtu.be/ztBSfD17GoI

But that song is almost unfathomably beautiful

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 09:02 AM

19. "Live 4 Love"
In response to Reply # 0

CRIMINALLY underrated that song is.

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5465 posts
Thu Apr-11-19 03:25 PM

20. "an unfukwitable playlist is being made from this thread"
In response to Reply # 0

believe that

tariqhu
Charter member
17883 posts
Fri Apr-12-19 09:51 AM

21. "question of u"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZA-Rjt-_oo

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

chincheckin
Charter member
2481 posts
Fri Apr-12-19 10:43 AM

22. "Annie Christian, Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) or It"
In response to Reply # 0

http://soundcloud.com/deemack1

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Fri Apr-12-19 07:05 PM

24. "if not for my self imposed 'post 88 only' rule..."
In response to Reply # 22
Fri Apr-12-19 07:06 PM by Voodoochilde

"Something In the Water" would be on my list for sure...

NO one else could have made that amazing track, but you dont hear it come up in Prince convos much at all....

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Fri Apr-12-19 02:09 PM

23. "And God Created Woman"
In response to Reply # 0

If I could pick two more, I'd go with Eye Hate U & Money Don't Matter.

shutupneff
Member since Mar 28th 2007
332 posts
Mon Apr-15-19 02:27 AM

25. "I Love U in Me"
In response to Reply # 0

Lyrically, it’s pretty damn explicit, but you could almost sneak it onto a wedding playlist because aesthetically it’s just a super sweet, beautiful love song. It’s a juxtaposition that he was no stranger to, but I don’t think anything else in his catalog comes close to being as extreme as this one.

-----------

https://soundcloud.com/shutupneff/sets/planetary-invazion

fanks
Member since Apr 07th 2013
74 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 04:12 AM

26. "Annie R U Ok"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince lovers you will find a brief song entitled Friendship Stone on my soundcloud (in profile) which samples The Beautiful Ones. Don't know why I'm promoting it as have no desire for music career or popularity but there is a feeling of correctness that is to say why not

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 12:31 PM

27. "The Arms Of Orion"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014932 Previous topic | Next topic