Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014790

Subject: "Why Madlib Left Stones Throw + His Disdain for Multi-Tracks + Rawkus" Search result list | First match | Last match
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Mar-22-19 08:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Why Madlib Left Stones Throw + His Disdain for Multi-Tracks + Rawkus"
Fri Mar-22-19 08:52 PM by BlakStaar

Finally! PB Wolf addresses this on the latest episode of Questlove Supreme:

Mad props to Ambrosia For Heads for the thorough recap of highlights:

“At 1:32:00, Phonte asks Peanut Butter Wolf about parting ways with Madlib and Stones Throw’s former label manager, Eothen “Egon” Alapatt. Throughout his career, Madlib has done projects outside of Stones Throw, including Blue Note and BBE. However, in the early 2010s, he began to release much of his material outside the Los Angeles, California-based label. “It’s kind of a long story,” begins Wolf. “With Madlib and Egon, who used to run , things weren’t creatively working out between Egon and I, and I had to let Egon go. He basically took Madlib with him. He gave Madlib his own deal, his own label. Madlib’s stuff theoretically comes out on . He still does some stuff for us. He scored the movie and did the soundtrack for that. It’s a loving relationship, but you know. Egon’s more involved in that.”

And then there’s this:
“Wolf, who is an accomplished artist, DJ, and producer says that Madlib’s subsequent control of the mix grew challenging as Stones Throw tried to shop him to artists. “After that, he would never give multi-tracks. I was trying to get Madlib beats to Nas and Q-Tip and people at the time, and it couldn’t happen ’cause he wouldn’t multi-track it.” One placement was in 2004, on De La Soul’s The Grind Date. “I remember with De La , when they did the ‘Shopping Bags’ , they wrote to it after I gave them just the two-track of it. They’re like, ‘Alright, we for the multi’s.’ There are no multi’s. They were upset with me; I was kind of caught in the middle ’cause it was miscommunication where they assumed I was gonna give them multi’s on it.” Phonte says that in his experience with Madlib, he has witnessed this to be true. He says that as a longtime fan, he appreciates the aesthetic.”

Wolf said he traveled to New York to talk to Rawkus—they wanted to acquire Stones Throw.

https://ambrosiaforheads.com/2019/03/peanut-butter-wolf-madlib-mfdoom-j-dilla-lootpack-questlove/

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Why Madlib Left Stones Throw + His Disdain for Multi-Tracks
Mar 22nd 2019
I'd heard about the multi-track thing back in the day
Mar 23rd 2019
Just recently with Dr. Dre as well
Mar 23rd 2019

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Mar-22-19 08:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Why Madlib Left Stones Throw + His Disdain for Multi-Tracks"
In response to Reply # 0

The Ambrosia piece mentions that the mixing on the Lootpack album was the beginning of Madlib not fucking with multis.

And just so y’all know, this PB Wolf interview with QS nearly culminates my questioning about Madlib’s departure, which I weighed on heavily in this thread:
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3012168&mesg_id=3012168&listing_type=search

I was practically talking to myself thoughrout the topic, but someone suggested Madlib’s use of sampling was a big issue.

PB Wolf doesn’t answer all the questions but this is the most I’ve heard him talk about the issues at the label, Madlib leaving.

And I can’t believe Rawkus was interested in buying Stones Throw. Glad that didn’t happen!

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Sat Mar-23-19 03:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'd heard about the multi-track thing back in the day"
In response to Reply # 0

And how it used to drive artists nuts that he'd just send them two-tracks.

Also, not really surprised about Egon leaving and taking Madlib with him. At least there's no bad blood between PBW and 'Lib.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Sat Mar-23-19 10:09 AM

3. "Just recently with Dr. Dre as well"
In response to Reply # 2

Apparently Madlib hit 'em with the multis in the last minute, but the song never made the album. Hoping it'll be on Ventura.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014790Search result list | First match | Last match