Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014605

Subject: "Think Dr. Dre got another massive hit album in him?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Think Dr. Dre got another massive hit album in him?"

I hear now that Andersen Paak is sub blaming Dr. Dre for the poor reception of Oxnard.

Even before that I was thinking that the Straight Out of Compton Soundtrack was pretty forgettable.

The Kendrick stuff is dope. I am not sure how much of it is Dre influenced (please school me).

It might be tempting to right him off giving his age and the sound that he is known for. But we've seen the error of forgetting about Dre before right?

What yall think?

Poll result (26 votes)
Hell Yeah (3 votes)Vote
Doubt it. (23 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Red, but he's not automatic anymore
Mar 14th 2019
I know he has at least a quincy jones "back on the block", Santana
Mar 14th 2019
Hit? No.
Mar 14th 2019
does he have the music in the vault? I believe so. will he release it?
Mar 14th 2019
Mansa Musa was dope so I'm not sure Dre's lost it
Mar 14th 2019
I don't even know what defines a "hit" album anymore
Mar 14th 2019
that blueface dude is terrible lol
Mar 15th 2019
      Respect my Cryp'n! (c) Blueface
Mar 17th 2019
      i just heard about him
Mar 18th 2019
I have to say no and that's fine.
Mar 14th 2019
not likely.
Mar 15th 2019
LOL @ blaming Dre for Oxnard
Mar 15th 2019
Sadly, that time has passed.
Mar 17th 2019
Yeah, but I don't think he wants to.
Mar 18th 2019
No, Not At All
Mar 18th 2019
i dont see why he cant make a dope LP for HIS era...
Mar 18th 2019
Depends on who he works with doesn’t it?
Mar 18th 2019
I think he's finished
Mar 23rd 2019
      I don’t know, I thought the production was good on Compton
Mar 26th 2019
           He didn't do any of the beats on Compton tho lol
Mar 26th 2019
                lol, damn
Mar 26th 2019
I don't wanan hear STREET TALES from 50 year olds lol
Mar 25th 2019
only if he keeps it 100% him and not try to catch the current sounds
Mar 26th 2019
Not one I'd care about, anyway...
Mar 27th 2019

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Red, but he's not automatic anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

I definitely think he's got it in him but I'm not blindly buying Dre-produced material expecting it to be dope.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 03:35 PM

4. "I know he has at least a quincy jones "back on the block", Santana"
In response to Reply # 1

all-star album in him.

I wonder if he has a streetbanger turn today's club up in him.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 02:54 PM

2. "Hit? No."
In response to Reply # 0

I think he can make a quality album.

But sounds change, and the listening public is judgemental as hell. Dre is ancient to the younger crowd. And I can’t see Dre making the type of bullshit that accounts for most of the hits now.

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "does he have the music in the vault? I believe so. will he release it? "
In response to Reply # 0

that's another story.

I'm waiting for his grown man instrumental album.

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 05:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Mansa Musa was dope so I'm not sure Dre's lost it"
In response to Reply # 0

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 06:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I don't even know what defines a "hit" album anymore"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-15-19 05:58 PM by mrhood75

I know that the Dre/Jimmy Iovine documentary series on HBO probably has had a most lasting impact on his legacy than the "Compton" album.

If he's going to have another bonafide "hit" or his Santana/Quincy Jones album, he's going to have to dig up some new young talent, and I don't know if he has that ability anymore. Anderson Paak was the only success story from "Compton." I don't even know what happened to Justus or King Mez. And, like you said, people are blaming Dre for "Oxnard" falling flat.

>The Kendrick stuff is dope. I am not sure how much of it is
>Dre influenced (please school me).

It's always been my understanding that Kendrick was more of Jimmy Iovine project that Dre's name got attached pretty far along the process. Sorta similar to how 50 Cent was an Eminem guy. Only other recent artist that you could say was a Dre "product" that made it big was Game. (who, of course, briefly got wedged into G-Unit)

>It might be tempting to right him off giving his age and the
>sound that he is known for. But we've seen the error of
>forgetting about Dre before right?

Again, I think the landscape has changed so much that I don't even know if a "Chronic" or a "2001" album would even work in today's market, much less "Back On the Block."

Now, a lot of that has to do with the almost complete elimination of artist development by labels. Artists are pretty much expected to do all the leg-work to blow themselves up on platforms like Soundcloud, and then get a label sign them and further increase their exposure.

So, there's very little of, "I'm Dr. Dre, and this is my new artist, Snoop Dogg. You've never heard of him but he's going to be all over my new album. Then I'm going to produce his debut album." It's more, "I'm Blueface, and this my song 'Thotiana.' Hey, Cash Money West, sign me so I can get my endorsement deals."

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 03:05 PM

8. "that blueface dude is terrible lol"
In response to Reply # 6

I don't even think he cares about rhyming well. I'm an old head, but not a young people hater, but he just doesn't know how to flow on beat.

he was on the breakfast club and they mentioned it. paraphrasing, but his response was something like "I'm off beat?". lol

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:40 PM

11. "Respect my Cryp'n! (c) Blueface"
In response to Reply # 8

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 03:21 PM

16. "i just heard about him"
In response to Reply # 8

and only because i follow MMA and apparently conor mcg got into some shit leaving his miami concert
googled him...woooooow.
i generally make it a point not to shit on what the kids are listening to - it aint for me. thats fine. But i can still identify talent, skill, artistry, etc.
this cat has NADA

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Thu Mar-14-19 08:21 PM

7. "I have to say no and that's fine."
In response to Reply # 0

Like the other posters have mentioned, the music landscape is at least two generations removed from Dre's heyday (Chronic 2001, Get Rich or Die Trying). Music, especially the sounds and ways artists blow is completely different from when Dre broke in. He'd have to really re-invent himself and I wouldn't see why he would want to do that except to prove something that doesn't need proving, that he's one of the greatest producers of the last forty years.

But it's not a knock on Dre's musical abilities or imagination that he isn't the best producer this far into his career. All producers or creatives have their prime and Dre, like most musicians his age, is settling into a new phase of his life. He's got money, he seems to have a stable family life now. Good for him.

If he wants to keep putting out music that's fine. I'd at least give it a listen.

It would be strange to hear a Dre album that wasn't an event though. He was like MJ in a sense. Both artists released relatively few albums over their career and so when they did, it was an event to pay attention to.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 03:06 PM

9. "not likely."
In response to Reply # 0

I just think he has the motivation to do music like that.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Fri Mar-15-19 10:39 PM

10. "LOL @ blaming Dre for Oxnard"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-15-19 10:43 PM by spirit

What label does he think would have gotten that album to pop? Artists have to start being realistic. He would have been better off being indie. There is no real chart success in making the kind of music he makes. The best label for him might have been TDE but even they mainly only succeed with rappers (named Kendrick or Schoolboy Q).

Edit: how many black artists not named Drake or (to a lesser degree) Kendrick make “massive hit albums” any more? All that shit is dead. The question is, can Dre make a good album? I don’t think Dre has made a full length I’ve cared about since 2001 and I liked that less than The Chronic (I rank Streetz Iz A Mutha over 2001, personally).

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Mar-17-19 07:46 PM

12. "Sadly, that time has passed. "
In response to Reply # 0

He should have embarked on it around 2013 when Kendrick first caught on. But then again, he all but completely stopped making beats as he lost his edge.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:23 AM

13. "Yeah, but I don't think he wants to."
In response to Reply # 0

If he wanted another hit he'd make another record (like most of the album) with Snoop or Game or Nipsey or Busta or just about any non-swag/soundcloud rapper in the West.

That said, he hasn't even attempted. He's had artists he could've tried with...and still does (I'm never getting a real Jon Connor album, I've accepted it) but I just don't think he's interested.

I just wish he'd release anything he's actually done lately. Dre (and help) beats don't happen often enough. Fuck making a hit record, just put out stuff he is actually interested.

Dre mixed Oxnard, and sonically it sounds great....so I don't think Dre has lost a step, he just doesn't want to come off the bench.

It's interesting looking at the path of the former "super-producers". Most of them aren't even trying besides Swizz & Pharrell these days.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 01:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "No, Not At All"
In response to Reply # 0

If people didn't think "Compton" was a big hit return then he will never make another "Chronic" or a "2001", unless he just release all his vaulted material that hasn't leaked already.

He's not the only producer I use to think could do no wrong and took years to release another album and when it dropped it wasn't close to their legendary status but was decent at most.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 03:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "i dont see why he cant make a dope LP for HIS era..."
In response to Reply # 0

...i know that seems crazy ...but if other legacy artists can do it, why can't he?

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

FunkyBoss
Member since Aug 31st 2002
1198 posts
Mon Mar-18-19 09:31 PM

17. "Depends on who he works with doesn’t it? "
In response to Reply # 0

His massive albums have been collabos more than solo work

Gumbo
Charter member
936 posts
Sat Mar-23-19 06:15 PM

18. "I think he's finished"
In response to Reply # 17

This is why i always say that DJ Premiere is the GOAT producer. He hasn't ever made anything wack.

DJR
18637 posts
Tue Mar-26-19 05:29 PM

21. "I don’t know, I thought the production was good on Compton"
In response to Reply # 18

The problem with that album was the delivery and vocals of the majority of the rapping.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Mar-26-19 07:51 PM

22. "He didn't do any of the beats on Compton tho lol"
In response to Reply # 21

>RE: I don’t know, I thought the production was good on Compton
>The problem with that album was the delivery and vocals of
>the majority of the rapping.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

DJR
18637 posts
Tue Mar-26-19 08:06 PM

23. "lol, damn"
In response to Reply # 22

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Mon Mar-25-19 04:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "I don't wanan hear STREET TALES from 50 year olds lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

double negative
Member since Dec 14th 2007
22151 posts
Tue Mar-26-19 11:57 AM

20. "only if he keeps it 100% him and not try to catch the current sounds"
In response to Reply # 0

Snoop been relevant for years, Dre could possibly make the same magic happen again but it would only work if he pushed his sound while also not trying to make g-funk trap

https://soundcloud.com/swageyph/yph-die-with-me

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Wed Mar-27-19 11:02 AM

24. "Not one I'd care about, anyway..."
In response to Reply # 0

It will likely do numbers because it's Dre. May have a a few bangers (no more than 3 is my guess). But I doubt it ages well and likely won't be my cup of tea.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014605 Previous topic | Next topic