Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014516

Subject: "It's been nearly 5 years since &TYSYC" Previous topic | Next topic
ericsaywhat
Member since Sep 12th 2006
151 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 08:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"It's been nearly 5 years since &TYSYC"

I think this is the longest they've gone between albums.

Other than the title Endgame, and the rumors of 9th & Salaam contributing. it's pretty much been radio silent.

Wondering if bringing on Stro shook things up enough (in a good way) and if that delayed things?

Please, 15....an update...
...somthing...
...anything!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
With Black Thought His Process Is A Mystery To Me
Mar 11th 2019
I don't have a definitive sense on how their songs are created
Mar 12th 2019
Looks like an album announcement tomorrow at 8am
Mar 11th 2019
they announced the Roots Picnic lineup today
Mar 12th 2019
      Yeah...I had hopes based off of ?uest’s gram...
Mar 12th 2019

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 09:57 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "With Black Thought His Process Is A Mystery To Me"
In response to Reply # 0

By listening to both of his freebie EPs, all the content has been personal stuff but he's kind of been doing that for years anyways; so I'm not sure how he goes about making verses, rhymes, and songs; does he actually write down shit or is he one of those Jay-Z kats who keeps it all at the top of his head; does he hold back verses before letting the Roots crew hear them or does he just spit them when they want to hear what he has; or is he one of those who only makes up verses on the spot when needed?

I know Questo/Mr.15 has said every Roots album has a theme, and that I get but I'm wondering how many have of the members have say so or a vote to what Black Thought brings to the table or do they let him do his own thing and try to work around what he rhymes about and ideas he has since he's the main emcee of the crew.

I'm just glad Black Thought has had the chance to go outside the camp to make projects but over the years I've forgotten so much of what Questo has said on these boards, in mags, and stories he's told over the years to remember if he's answered all these questions before to the process of & who has more clout in their job in the process, cause it's been a long time indeed, and I've been wondering with Knuckles gone and the newest affiliated member Stro E. there is he sitting back and speaking up when called or is he lending his expertise as much as so of the other long standing members?

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 08:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "I don't have a definitive sense on how their songs are created"
In response to Reply # 1

I know for the Tipping Point sessions the band jammed, I think without Thought rapping, and then kept replaying the songs until they fine-tuned them. I think that's their normal routine for creating music.

I don't think Thought rhymes and then comes to the group with the lyrics, asking the band to create around his lyrics. Although I'm sure with the length of time they've recorded that they may have tried this other approach. I just haven't heard of that.

My sense is that Richard Nichols, rather the lack of his presence, is something the band is navigating. I think Rich was the one who would pull the albums away from the group in order to keep them on deadline. So, maybe there are enough quality songs but just not a voice to dead the creative process and just put out the best 14 tracks for an album.

And like you said, with Stro being a new addition to the lineup, maybe the group has had to change its process to accommodate his presence.

I almost upped the Endgame info post to get a sense if there's any new news but judging from this post, I guess there isn't.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 11:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Looks like an album announcement tomorrow at 8am"
In response to Reply # 0

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 08:52 AM

3. "they announced the Roots Picnic lineup today"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Mar-12-19 09:08 AM by makaveli

Playing all of Things Fall Apart.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Mar-12-19 03:57 PM

4. "Yeah...I had hopes based off of ?uest’s gram..."
In response to Reply # 3

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014516 Previous topic | Next topic