Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014398

Subject: "Weezer - The Black Album" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Tue Mar-05-19 06:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Weezer - The Black Album"

Just realized this dropped Friday. Anyone listen yet? Kinda excited to play it, but I'm gonna wait til tomorrow morning at the gym.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Now Admitedly I'm a giant Stan for this band
Mar 05th 2019
Cool, thanks...I’m hyped for this...
Mar 06th 2019
I was so underwhelmed at first
Mar 06th 2019

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Mar-05-19 08:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Now Admitedly I'm a giant Stan for this band"
In response to Reply # 0

but I enjoyed the fuck out of this.

If you're looking for crunchy guitars/ Mid 90s sounding Alt Rock you'll be diapointed.

This is mostly synths/drum machines. But it's a pretty good Pop Rock Album

Rivers Lyrics are pretty damned sharp (and he swears a good deal now for some reason)

Stand out tracks: Can't Knock the Hustle, The Prince Who Wanted Everything, Living in LA

It's not Touching Blue, Pinkerton, White or EWBAITE But's one of their better albums.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 08:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Cool, thanks...I’m hyped for this..."
In response to Reply # 1

if it’s even a couple of notches below Blue, Pinkerton and White, it should be great.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 12:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I was so underwhelmed at first"
In response to Reply # 0

I mean, at this point you can't be shocked if the man writes a really great album or a really bad album. You're spinning the wheel. And you can generally get a taste of what's coming by the lead single.

Wasn't super into any of the lead songs for this one, let alone the cash-grab that was the 'Teal Album' covers thing, let alone the abrupt left turn of 'Pacific Daydream' from their previous two excellent, more-traditional-sounding albums. So I kind of knew what I was getting here. And upon listening/skimming 'Black' the first time, I felt like it confirmed what I already thought about it.

But I'll tell you what, I threw it on driving around last night, and it's damn catchy. It's hard for me to really consider it part of Weezer canon because of how much it doesn't sound like the band (would almost be more receptive to this if it was a Rivers Cuomo solo project), but it's good fun.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014398 Previous topic | Next topic