Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3014300

Subject: "Solange – When I Get Home (Columbia, 2019)" Previous topic | Next topic
aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Fri Mar-01-19 02:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Solange – When I Get Home (Columbia, 2019)"

http://www.solangemusic.com/
http://blackplanet.com/solange/

Tracklist:
1. Things I Imagined
2. S McGregor (interlude)
3. Down With the Clique
4. Way to the Show
5. Can I Hold the Mic (interlude)
6. Stay Flo
7. Dreams
8. Nothing Without Intention (interlude)
9. Almeda
10 Time (is)
11. My Skin My Logo
12. We Deal With the Freak’n (intermission)
13. Jerrod
14. Binz
15. Beltway
16. Exit Scott (interlude)
17. Sound Of Rain
18. Not Screwed! (interlude)
19. I’m a Witness

Still ain't had a chance to listen. What say The Lesson?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
People are referencing Hancock and Talking Book Stevie
Mar 01st 2019
love this album
Mar 01st 2019
that last sentence!!! ^^^
Mar 01st 2019
Stevie's songwriting...
Mar 02nd 2019
      It’s disrespectful to compare this to Stevie.
Mar 02nd 2019
      RE: Stevie's songwriting...
Mar 02nd 2019
           Right, the intro is damn near a straight ahead homage to Stevie
Mar 02nd 2019
Love it
Mar 02nd 2019
This album is phenomenal
Mar 06th 2019
Cut it off after the first three tracks
Mar 07th 2019
^^^^Agreed.
Mar 07th 2019
shits dope
Mar 09th 2019
Quality
Mar 10th 2019
RE: Solange – When I Get Home (Columbia, 2019)
Mar 10th 2019
I’m your 2nd homie
Mar 10th 2019
Dude, we're the same.
Mar 11th 2019

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Fri Mar-01-19 02:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "People are referencing Hancock and Talking Book Stevie"
In response to Reply # 0

...as influences on this album.

That's good to hear.

https://digife.com

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Mar-01-19 03:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "love this album"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-01-19 03:36 PM by Kosa12

Been listening to it all day. Very different from her last record (which I also loved). It's so well produced and sequenced. Love the interludes. She kinda doubled down on the mellow jazzy-ish neo-soul that was present in some of A Seat At The Table and did away with that album's more traditional (read: longer songs) and more lyrically focused structure. I'm guessing some people won't dig some of the brevity here but I love it (I also loved Earl's latest and Tierra Whack's debut which also have extremely short songs - Solange has talked about how much she likes earl and tierra whack). I can't chose a favorite track, but I've listened to "Things I Imagined" a lot of times - it reminds me of Stevie Wonder. Also "Way to the Show" is another contender to be my favorite. Topically, it seems much more light-hearted and free in comparison to her last album too. How well the rap features work here is also extremely surprising considering who they are. Taking her recent work as a whole, Solange is kind of like a mix between badu and aaliyah with a dash of Stevie as ridiculous as that may sound.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Fri Mar-01-19 07:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "that last sentence!!! ^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,
I don't have time to be a wife"

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul
https://instagram.com/soul.con.fusion/

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Sat Mar-02-19 03:52 AM

4. "Stevie's songwriting..."
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Mar-02-19 03:55 AM by BSharp

...was more than a vibe or a series of instruments. It was melody and structure that could be reinterpreted using any instrumentation or any tempo or full vocals or no vocals at all.

I'm digging the vibes of the album, but the songs aren't sticking with me as much as the last album. Hopefully after a few more listens I'll change my mind.

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79554 posts
Sat Mar-02-19 09:15 AM

5. "It’s disrespectful to compare this to Stevie. "
In response to Reply # 4

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Sat Mar-02-19 02:33 PM

6. "RE: Stevie's songwriting..."
In response to Reply # 4

Everything you said about Stevie is correct. I'm not out here saying she's on his level‚ he's just an blatant influence - at least on the first song. obviously his songwriting is leagues above what's on display on this album in every way possible lol. That said‚ "Things I Imagined" still reminds me of him.

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

ramaj1
Member since May 20th 2008
1393 posts
Sat Mar-02-19 05:20 PM

7. "Right, the intro is damn near a straight ahead homage to Stevie"
In response to Reply # 6

In fact, his Talking Book period is referenced countless times on Home. While the bass was central on nearly every song on Seat at the Table, the keyboard is the focal point of each and every track on this one.

Soulroe
Member since Dec 25th 2009
1518 posts
Sat Mar-02-19 11:45 PM

8. "Love it"
In response to Reply # 0

201cue
Member since Jan 04th 2007
2204 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 02:49 PM

9. "This album is phenomenal"
In response to Reply # 0

...puzzling at first, but mindblowing on repeat listens.

--------------------------------------
I ain't NEVER seen a hungry, happy muthaf*cka!

Heavy Ro'
Jay Rock - Redemption
Roc Marci - RR2
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Taz Arnold - rAd americA

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Thu Mar-07-19 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Cut it off after the first three tracks"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounded like a bunch of unfinished demos.

Never was a fan of her singing voice either.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Airbreed
Charter member
29433 posts
Thu Mar-07-19 08:55 AM

11. "^^^^Agreed."
In response to Reply # 10
Thu Mar-07-19 08:56 AM by Airbreed

The album sounds more experimental than a finished project that was experimented with.

Not impressed.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Mar-09-19 06:52 PM

12. "shits dope"
In response to Reply # 0

starts slow... by by track 7 (dreams)... its rolling

almeda worth the price of admission alone...

she shoulda started with track 3

i hope they press vinyls

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 05:55 AM

13. "Quality"
In response to Reply # 0

jimaveli
Charter member
6606 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 10:43 AM

14. "RE: Solange – When I Get Home (Columbia, 2019)"
In response to Reply # 0

>http://www.solangemusic.com/
>http://blackplanet.com/solange/
>
>Tracklist:
>1. Things I Imagined
>2. S McGregor (interlude)
>3. Down With the Clique
>4. Way to the Show
>5. Can I Hold the Mic (interlude)
>6. Stay Flo
>7. Dreams
>8. Nothing Without Intention (interlude)
>9. Almeda
>10 Time (is)
>11. My Skin My Logo
>12. We Deal With the Freak’n (intermission)
>13. Jerrod
>14. Binz
>15. Beltway
>16. Exit Scott (interlude)
>17. Sound Of Rain
>18. Not Screwed! (interlude)
>19. I’m a Witness
>
>Still ain't had a chance to listen. What say The Lesson?

This goes and it grew on me quite a bit. It's certainly a Stevie tribute even if it is Secret Life of Plants. I wish she had more overtly grand individual songs within this, but she pretty clearly wasn't going for that. She kinda Jodeci'd this. Lovesexy one-track shit. And the strongest full songs are towards the end. She did her thing with the vamps, adlibs, and overall mood of this thing.

Side:

I'm silly to be surprised that I still read the 'I didn't finish it at all but I know this album sucks' posts that I was arguing with folks about almost 20 years ago on here and since CDs came out IRL before that. At least now, it doesn't seem like folks will go into a post-hijacking argument over something they haven't listened to, so I guess I should finally accept that some folks are like that and STFU? Yeah..that's probably the right call!

BUT

I worry about folks missing out on the potential enjoyment of good music. Like some of my homeboys...

I have a homeboy who had hella CDs in the 90s but couldn't hold a convo about most of em. He wouldn't take the time to listen to the albums! He certainly had the time! He'd buy CDs and listen to the songs he knew beforehand repeatedly. Maybe he'd try the songs with guests he liked. And that would be about it unless he had it in his head to listen to the rest for some reason..maybe some girl or magazine told him to. I mean forreal..we'd be riding with dude, he'd be skipping around on pretty much classic albums, and everyone else in the car would be like 'hey mane! Let that motherfuckin shit play, dog!'. Not surprisingly, he's the 'don't like nuthin' guy who claims to love music.

Fast forward to 2019, he's the dude with a bunch of loose, badly labelled songs in random folders on his computer. With that, he's got little to no playlists. And sure, he has Apple music, but he can't easily get his hands on anything. If I go to his house, he's fumbling around trying to find something to listen to. He's got a generally weak handle on old shit, new shit, and everything in between. It's a sad existence in this world where you can jam like crazy if you just put a little time into having your shit together. I gave up on trying to rescue him from himself years ago.

One of my other long-time homies is still riding around with CDs on the reg. It's the same thing in a different way. He'll listen to some shit thoroughly and you can hold hella convos about artists and music. It's good times. But he's struggling with having the discipline to manage a streaming app, create some playlists for himself to take control when he wants, and go from there. So he gets swept up in the wave of new releases. So when he misses something, he may never make it back to it.

Meanwhile, I'm a psycho over here with my shit reasonably together. I have a mountain of playlists. I have my squirrelly stuff uploaded to Google Play. I'll do artist studies where I run through someone's whole discography. I just did this with Teddy P. Yeah, the Showtime show got me too. I'll listen to some new stuff. I'll miss stuff, be aware of it, and go back for it some other time.

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Sun Mar-10-19 05:06 PM

15. "I’m your 2nd homie"
In response to Reply # 14

When I was younger, tho, I did what the first one did - only listen to the songs I knew and loved. That usually meant me only knowing 2 songs on an album, smh

Now, I have my CDs and digital album downloads and listen to entire projects, but I’m stuck because I’ve been meaning to create playlists for YEARS now and can’t seem to get a handle on it. I also don’t comprehend streaming apps lol

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Mon Mar-11-19 03:02 PM

16. "Dude, we're the same."
In response to Reply # 14

The only difference, I stopped trying to save my boys years ago. In fact I think it was squeeg on the boards that said he stopped giving people suggestions and recs because people had no desire to listen, but would complain about the state of music. So now that I've stopped trying to save folks (as if I was the person to do it anyway, but that's another post), I just make sure I'm on top of my stuff.

I don't stream because, honestly, the sheer volume of music on Spotify, Pandora, etc I'm afraid will TURN me into your boy. I'm afraid I won't spend time with anything to really appreciate it. Where as with my iTunes/mp3s that I buy, I'm invested, and I have a system that keeps things in rotation so i continuously play it. I find new music by talking to people, visiting blogs, reading liner notes and repeating. I visit my soundcloud timeline pretty regularly, and there are a few hip hop music shows I play in the background.

Ultimately, if you really like music, you'll find what you like.

https://digife.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #3014300 Previous topic | Next topic