Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3013983

Subject: "AZ & Primo or Redman & Pete Rock?" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: AZ & Primo or Redman & Pete Rock?"

These were two of the best MC/Producer collaborations in the 00s from 90s artist that we really didn’t get in the 90s

Which two joints do you prefer and which MC/Producer would you rather get a full album from?

(Yes I know PR did How To Roll but I don’t see that as one of those undeniable PR bangers for whatever reason)

Poll result (12 votes)
The Come Up & The Format (8 votes)Vote
Gimme One & Best Believe (4 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Are these singles? Or from albums?
Feb 15th 2019
I believe 3 of them were singles...
Feb 15th 2019
AZ & Preem off the strength of The Format alone.
Feb 15th 2019
These are the joints that make me think...
Feb 15th 2019
      lol honestly.
Feb 16th 2019
           Agreed but...
Feb 16th 2019
                Word word. I didn't mind them personally but ...
Feb 17th 2019
                     Did you not like PRhyme 2?
Feb 17th 2019
                          Hated it. Sadly.
Feb 17th 2019
AZ and Primo, no question to me
Feb 15th 2019
Red & Pete Cause Primo Hasn't Been The Same In A Long Time
Feb 15th 2019
Couldn't disagree more vehemently re: Preem.
Feb 16th 2019
      Agreed...
Feb 16th 2019
I voted PR and Red just on the strength of Gimme One
Feb 18th 2019

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 07:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Are these singles? Or from albums?"
In response to Reply # 0

Could you name the projects?

No need for links, but I haven't heard any of the tracks and the titles would help me out.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 08:18 PM

2. "I believe 3 of them were singles..."
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Feb-15-19 08:19 PM by Anonymous

The Come Up is from AWOL

The Format is from The Format

Gimme One is from Red Gone Wild

Best Beleive is from Pete’s NYs Finest

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 08:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "AZ & Preem off the strength of The Format alone."
In response to Reply # 0

But I am def a fan of all 4 songs.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 10:48 PM

5. "These are the joints that make me think..."
In response to Reply # 3

“Why can’t yall just do joints like this ALL the damn time!”

Lol

Brew
24419 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 07:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "lol honestly."
In response to Reply # 5

This is why the first PRhyme album is my favorite of the last few years. That shit was just straight FIRE beats, FIRE rhymes, short and to the point ... no need for filler.

Why can't all our MCs/producers just do this, even if it's only every once in a while ?

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 09:31 PM

9. "Agreed but..."
In response to Reply # 7

I’m one who didn’t like all the guests on PRyhme 1

Brew
24419 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 12:22 PM

11. "Word word. I didn't mind them personally but ..."
In response to Reply # 9

... considering how short the album was I'd have preferred if it was 90% Preem/Royce rather than all the guests.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 12:25 PM

12. "Did you not like PRhyme 2?"
In response to Reply # 11

Brew
24419 posts
Sun Feb-17-19 08:25 PM

13. "Hated it. Sadly."
In response to Reply # 12

I wanted/expected them to come back w/the same formula from PRhyme 1 so I was let down big time.

I need to go back to it. Cause I feel like my expectations set it up for failure. I'll probably like it a little more with lowered expectations.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 10:20 PM

4. "AZ and Primo, no question to me"
In response to Reply # 0

And I slightly prefer Pete over Primo as a producer and Redman over AZ as a rapper. While the Red and Pete joints were solid, The Come Up and The Format are incredible IMO.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Feb-15-19 11:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Red & Pete Cause Primo Hasn't Been The Same In A Long Time"
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like Premier has been in stuck in a rut ever since he started doing his XMRadio show "Live At HeadQcourterz", it's like he has focused on doing more quantity than quality since 2012.

I've seen him change up his style, his routine production methods, and tries to sample less & less, he's been getting comfortable, before he would switch up his drums every few years but now it's been like one long run of the same, not sure if he changed up engineers or what but his music doesn't have that same luster as before.

Pete Rock hasn't been the same in years either but he still has gems where every fourth of fifth beat will be that jawn we all know from him.

Maybe I'm just tired of hearing AZ rhyme, he doesn't say anything special for me, infact he never did, yeah I liked his first album, but to me it sounds like he's just recycling the same subject matter & words around song after song; that's the reason why I stopped listening to M.O.P. they done threatened & murdered everyone they can think of in their rhymes.

Method Man, is a weird one, cause for a while I was starting to get bored of him too, but in the past few years, his new rhymes got some hidden thought in them, his flow got new energy in them, he knows how to ride any beat given to him, not too many emcees or rappers can do that and keep your interested in hearing more.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Brew
24419 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 07:45 PM

8. "Couldn't disagree more vehemently re: Preem."
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Feb-16-19 07:45 PM by Brew

I feel like his rut was PRE-2012, like maybe 2003ish through 2012. He was doing that same sort of stop and go beat, with empty space. Everything was the same formula.

Since 2012 ? Hell no. He's dropped a TON of gems. PRhyme. The beat for Documentary 2 for Game. Etc. He was on fire in like 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Since then I think it's been more hit and miss again. But in that early aughts time period he was dropping banger after banger. PRhyme (the first one) alone deads any "Preem lost it" argument, IMO.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Feb-16-19 09:32 PM

10. "Agreed..."
In response to Reply # 8

But DJ Joey is usually a tad off from my opinion so I didn’t respond lol

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Mon Feb-18-19 10:23 PM

14. "I voted PR and Red just on the strength of Gimme One"
In response to Reply # 0

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Lobby The Lesson topic #3013983 Previous topic | Next topic