Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3013459

Subject: "How to be a Responsible Music Fan in the Age of Spotify (video link)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Jan-26-19 11:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How to be a Responsible Music Fan in the Age of Spotify (video link)"

https://thescene.com/watch/pitchfork/pitchfork-docs-how-to-be-a-responsible-music-fan-in-the-age-of-spotify

It breaks down how little money the vast majority of artists make from Spotify but also ways to better support more obscure, underground artists.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
streaming shouldn't be seen as an alternative for buying music
Jan 27th 2019
agreed
Jan 28th 2019
      RE: agreed
Jan 28th 2019
I don't get it
Jan 27th 2019
Here's an article that breaks down streaming revenue for artists
Jan 27th 2019

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Sun Jan-27-19 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "streaming shouldn't be seen as an alternative for buying music"
In response to Reply # 0

I stream all sorts of albums that I already own, so if anything you can continue to support an artist whose discography you already own by doing it. And it is useful for checking things out you're not sure about and still giving them some revenue for doing so. But copping music and merchandise should be seen as an eventuality if you want the artist to keep going.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 1

I also feel a way about anyone being like "I know what you've been listening to" on GP

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 08:43 PM

5. "RE: agreed"
In response to Reply # 4

>I also feel a way about anyone being like "I know what you've
>been listening to" on GP

If you mean, by 'anyone', music / social media companies, I wholeheartedly agree.

The depth of intrusion these companies have into sometimes intimate spaces in our collective lives is troubling.

Like for instance after reviewing some of my Google privacy settings, it became clear that the Google Assistant had been monitoring the audio in my area for queries. I guess this isn't so surprising since the app only functions if it parses out your voice and commands. But my advertising data also included the queries of my family members. Most of them taken when NOT using my phone.

I'm not really a paranoid type person but I went ahead and deleted a lot of apps on my tablet and phone which have permission to use the microphone.

I'm less concerned about Spotify having my information. But my account is linked to Facebook and that company is proving less and less trustworthy with each story of aggressive deals involving marketing data.

Crazy times.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1815 posts
Sun Jan-27-19 01:44 PM

2. "I don't get it"
In response to Reply # 0

It says that 99% of what people stream is from the top 10% of artists. But is seems the advice is to not listen to more obscure artists? I thought more streams=more money regardless.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Sun Jan-27-19 10:49 PM

3. "Here's an article that breaks down streaming revenue for artists"
In response to Reply # 2

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/26/how-spotify-apple-music-can-pay-musicians-more-commentary.html

And this is a less flattering description of how artists make money from Spotify

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/05/26/band-1-million-spotify-streams-royalties/

TL;DR - Unless the artist is immensely popular, musicians don't make a lot of money from streaming. It's a numbers game.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3013459 Previous topic | Next topic