Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3013430

Subject: "Seeing Wu-Tang perform 36 " Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"Seeing Wu-Tang perform 36 "
Fri Jan-25-19 03:04 PM by maro

Saw Wu-Tang in Philly last night, opening night of their US tour.

Tickets were too steep for me at $100 but I got a last minute hook up to the list so of course I went...

After seeing the show, the price tag felt legit. Here is why. Watching WU-TANG now is like watching a super group of elite rappers. Each one of them got a ton of mic time. It was like 7 mini concerts at once. They quickly went through the record and then did popular cuts from each others solo albums, etc

And is SOUNDED great.

I was expecting this to be a chaotic mess circa any 90's Wu show 1/2 the crew shows up, late, and everyone is rapping over each other on the mic and the sound system set up for rock not hiphop so it sounds terrible. 180 on that.

Show was dope as sheeeeiit. They all came out one at a time and were spitting effortlessly. I'm not really ever star struck at concerts, but I was fairly close and once they were all on stage, I was kinda thrown back like whoa... that A LOT of rap royalty on stage at once. The original clan.... sans odb ( ydb takes his lines and cadence and sounds just like him, but you prob knew that already)

EVERYONE came off nice. AND you could hear every verse, more or less. It was like a mature watered down version of the concert I saw 20 years ago. Which means to me it was clean and with quality.

You forget how good these guys are at spittin and watching them each go in and seeing them having fun doing it.... phew..

Way better than JA-RULE / ASHANTI I took my girl too..... the last concert I saw at the Electric Factory (now Franklin music hall). lol.

werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Damn
Jan 25th 2019
I've never see the whole clan together.
Jan 25th 2019
RE: Seeing Wu-Tang perform 36
Jan 28th 2019
I saw them all back in '93...shit was as awesome as you think
Jan 28th 2019
Saw them in '94 in Philly. They were great for the limited time they...
Jan 28th 2019
They did these type of shows in like 2001/02.
Jan 28th 2019

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Damn"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought about flying out to go to that show. Seeing the whole Clan is one of the few concerts still on my bucket list and the chances of that happening is getting smaller and smaller. Glad to hear the show held up to expectations.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 11:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I've never see the whole clan together. "
In response to Reply # 0

It's on the bucket list.
I've seen them all in different clusters.
They've been making the rounds performing together and taking it seriously, doing rehearsals, all showing up and from what you and others have said, showing out.

It's wonderful to see and hear - that these brothers can come together
25 years later and still rock the fuck out...
testament to their genius as a group and solo.

my favorite group of all time including Ghost, my favorite emcee of all time.

I really hope they're using their time - with all of them in a good space - TOGETHER AGAIN, to give us one last supreme album.

Sure, it would be great for the fans to have, but it would be great for them - it would be one helluva bookend to an incredible career as a group.

WU TANG FOREVER!

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 09:04 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: Seeing Wu-Tang perform 36 "
In response to Reply # 0

I said i was done with shows a long time ago, but seeing the juice crew full reunion a few years ago at bbkings reminded me how dope hip hop shows can be.. seeing that show felt and was historic to me and really made me feel like a kid again..

That being said, i'd go to a Wu show if it's really how you described it.. i just remember some of their solo shows being a mess, but it sounds like they are taking their show serious and really planning everything out.

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:23 PM

4. "I saw them all back in '93...shit was as awesome as you think"
In response to Reply # 0

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44718 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Saw them in '94 in Philly. They were great for the limited time they..."
In response to Reply # 4

...were on stage. The problem was the promoter had waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many opening acts. Besides the signed artists like Doug E. Fresh, MOP, and Mad Lion, they had every local Philly act on the bill as well. So by the time the Wu went on, curfew was about to hit. They only got to do six songs. They were incredible while they were up there. ODB absolutely owned that shit.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44718 posts
Mon Jan-28-19 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "They did these type of shows in like 2001/02."
In response to Reply # 0

Saw two like it where they let each member of the crew shine before they all performed together. First one, only person missing was GZA (who had apparently been there the night before). Second one, in 2002, GZA was there but it in support of "Iron Flag," so all the group stuff was from that album. They closed it with a "Sunshowers" & "Cherez LeGhost" combo.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Lobby The Lesson topic #3013430 Previous topic | Next topic