Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3013424

Subject: "Wax Poetics final back issue sale" Previous topic | Next topic
trane_fanatic
Member since May 08th 2003
2642 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 12:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wax Poetics final back issue sale"

Just got this email below. Of course, in typical WP fashion, the link doesn’t work. Had to find it on my own and when I clicked on it, all the early issues were gone. Did anybody know how much they were selling them for? They go for an arm and a leg.
———————————————————————————————————————
Final sale on all back issues

We're moving out of our current warehouse and we're dumping all mags we can't sell off. Most recent issues are going for $1.99.

We've also found a small number of early issues, including Issue 3 (Weldon Irvine), 4 (Tracy 168), 5 (Style Wars), 12 (Phase 2), 13 (The Meters), and 14 (Axelrod).

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Looks Like All The Good Ones Are Gone
Jan 25th 2019
Yep
May 22nd 2019
An ex of mine threw out that Dilla issue in 06
May 23rd 2019
      RE: An ex of mine threw out that Dilla issue in 06
May 23rd 2019
Forgot to add
May 22nd 2019
RE: Wax Poetics final back issue sale
May 23rd 2019

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Fri Jan-25-19 01:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Looks Like All The Good Ones Are Gone"
In response to Reply # 0

Lank: https://store.waxpoetics.com/collections/back-issues

I think I'll pass on the sale, wait for someone who has the old ones for sale cheap or want to throw them out, I have the first ten issues anyway.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Wed May-22-19 10:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Yep"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't see this post when it first went live but I had the same problem when this email dropped in January.

Not long after the fire sale, I filled the small holes in my collection and I now have every issue except No. 5, though I admit my copy of No. 1 is the doggone reissue and not the original printing. I wish I didn't care about that kind of stuff, but I do. LOL.

I will get No. 5 from eBay, eventually. It's not that rare that it's cost prohibitive to purchase. I've seen it for $15-35.

I filled most of the holes in my collection thanks to Etsy. Some seller was offering a few of the single digit issues as a bundled "lot." I got a great deal. WP dropped in 2001 when I was a teen but I didn't really get into until maybe 2003?

Anywho, WP just announced the reissue of No. 17 (Dilla issue) today via the email newsletter. Here ya go:
https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/wax-poetics-issue-17-paperback-reissue

It's $30 bucks.

As I just shared in another WP-related post, two original printings of the Dilla issue recently sold for $42 and $51, respectively, plus S&H, based on my eBay search of recently sold listings. (You can filter results for sold items).

Now, two sellers, as of today, May 22, 2019, have original printings listed for $49.99 and $165.99.

In recent years, I've seen the Dilla issue listed for under $30...

In addition to the Dilla issue, WP is selling yet another version of the No. 1 reissue. It's available as a hardcover copy now, plus they have "completely redesigned" the reissue.

From the email: "We've added many more photos and record covers in this 142-page edition!"

Sigh.

This is nice, but I just want a new issue with new content, not reissues of already-published content. I know the publishing industry is hard but gotdamn!

Music journalism makes me sad sometimes.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Thu May-23-19 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "An ex of mine threw out that Dilla issue in 06"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-23-19 11:48 AM by dustin

Fuck you Amanda. She never admitted it either.

I got 2 replacements though.

I copped an incomplete collection of WP issues on Ebay, I believe I have #1 but I can't say if it's the original or not.

Random aside, I met the creative director of WP at his gallery in San Francisco this year. Cool cat. Wouldn't be surprised if he was lurking around here lol

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Thu May-23-19 12:14 PM

5. "RE: An ex of mine threw out that Dilla issue in 06"
In response to Reply # 4

Damn her!

B+?

He’s going to be in Detroit tomorrow for this event centered on the hip-hop photography book, Contact High.

--

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed May-22-19 10:23 PM

3. "Forgot to add"
In response to Reply # 0

WP also added some deadstock back issues (66, 64, 57, 55, 51, 44, and 25) to the web store—with only a few copies remaining of most.

Those issues aren't that rare, though...

--

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu May-23-19 03:30 PM

6. "RE: Wax Poetics final back issue sale"
In response to Reply # 0

i'd LOVE to get Prince cover story from 2012 with the Madhouse archives but I'm not buying it from them directly.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3013424 Previous topic | Next topic