Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3011817

Subject: "Name artists you slept on for no good reason" Previous topic | Next topic
darrylclark
Charter member
16201 posts
Sat Nov-24-18 04:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Name artists you slept on for no good reason"

I slept on Royce for damn ever! I knew he was nice but I was busy chasing elsewhere. But, damn it, he is one of the greatest.

<---------------Naima and Nia Simone

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Same with Royce. But my shame is I slept on Dr. Dre.
Nov 26th 2018
Wait wait wait, Death Row released a live instrument album? huh
Nov 28th 2018
      Instrumental maybe? I know my homie had that
Dec 05th 2018
Budden.
Nov 26th 2018
he had a broken wings freestyle that sold me
Nov 28th 2018
MOP, at first
Nov 27th 2018
Jay-Z is the biggest one
Dec 03rd 2018
RE: Jay-Z is the biggest one
Dec 04th 2018
I just got into Sleater-Kinney like last week
Dec 03rd 2018

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49417 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Same with Royce. But my shame is I slept on Dr. Dre. "
In response to Reply # 0

Wait let me explain!!!

I was generally underwhelmed at the time with the G Funk era. Namely because my dad was heavy into funk and I thought it was just easy recycling of music I knew really well. I felt like he was doing what Puffy was doing sampling super recognizable beats.

It wasn't until the Chronic 2001 did I start to recognize the production value of what he was doing. Actually Death Row released a live instrument album before that and I started appreciating the musicianship of Dre.

That's all.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Nov-28-18 10:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Wait wait wait, Death Row released a live instrument album? huh"
In response to Reply # 1

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Dec-05-18 09:58 AM

9. "Instrumental maybe? I know my homie had that"
In response to Reply # 5

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

murderbear
Member since Feb 26th 2012
2087 posts
Mon Nov-26-18 07:12 PM

2. "Budden."
In response to Reply # 0

Besides being aware of Pump It Up, I've never actually heard anything else he's ever made. It wasn't until I started listening to the podcast and was in the gym one day that I decided to give his playlist some run. Can't believe it took me this long

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Wed Nov-28-18 06:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "he had a broken wings freestyle that sold me"
In response to Reply # 2

before that i just knew him as the pump it up guy. haven't checked much for him since either but man he killed that shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekG1Ci_RSbE

--sig--
n/a

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Tue Nov-27-18 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "MOP, at first"
In response to Reply # 0

How About Some Hardcore came out on the House Party 3 soundtrack. I figured 'how hard can these guys really be?'. Then I heard 'Worlds Famous' on DJ Clue's Spring Break mixtape.

I've been doing penance ever since

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Dec-03-18 07:36 PM

6. "Jay-Z is the biggest one"
In response to Reply # 0

My boy had Reasonable Doubt back in '96. He loved Jay but I just couldn't get into it. I'm usually behind the curve on shifts in music and Jay's style and East Coast specific beats were too much for a St. Louisan to swallow in high school.

I kind of went back and listened to Reasonable Doubt at some point in my mid to late twenties and really liked it. His energy on the mic was undeniable.

Because I was a backpacker, looking back, I didn't really get into Jay-Z until The Black Album. At that point, ?uest and The Roots gave him some cred that I didn't he deserved but on the strength of their record, I bought the album.

It was really dope to me. I think I respected Jay's lyricism but his production always seemed lackluster to me, at least the more pop songs, I listened to which he released to that point.

I still didn't like Change Clothes but by then I bought the album and dug Dirt off Ya Shoulder and 99 Problems.

I've bought songs off of every Jay album since. Kingdom Come was a bit of a step back but there were songs on there that I really liked and the same with The Blueprint III. 4:44 was dope too.

I also dug a lot of his features from Kanye and Freeway and Beanie Segal from the mid 2000's.

Charles Mingus was another great artist I slept on. My dad is really into jazz but he didn't play Mingus at all. I didn't learn about him until I was doing some digging into the influences for Kid A where Thom Yorke mentioned a song of Mingus' was an influence for The National Anthem.

Later in my early 30's I think, Ken Burns released his Jazz doc and Mingus had a collection of songs sold as a CD. I picked it up and was awed by the versatility and artistry of the songs. One of the virtuosos of the 20th Century.

I kinda slept on Biggie as well.

I was big into Death Row, which looking back was kinda odd since I was a teetotaler as a kid when Death Row was hittin. Anyway, while I respected Big's talents, I never really listened to him like I did the Death Row artists.

But later on in my 20's I got into Ready to Die. It would be some time until I got into Life After Death. (Truth be told, being a backpacker prevented me from listening to some dope music when it dropped.)

That album is too long, but there are some dope cuts there.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Dec-04-18 05:34 PM

8. "RE: Jay-Z is the biggest one"
In response to Reply # 6

This sounds like me..

Backpacker who came around circa the Black Album.

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Mon Dec-03-18 09:10 PM

7. "I just got into Sleater-Kinney like last week"
In response to Reply # 0

and I'm a big Sonic Youth fan (one of their main influences). How much I like the music...almost makes me feel stupid (if that makes any sense)

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Lobby The Lesson topic #3011817 Previous topic | Next topic