Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3009765

Subject: "Battle of 2006 (Hip-Hop)" Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Sep-26-18 08:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Battle of 2006 (Hip-Hop)"

Rank them 1-6 for bonus points!

Poll result (18 votes)
Donuts (3 votes)Vote
Game Theory (10 votes)Vote
Food & Liquor (1 votes)Vote
Hell Hath No Fury (1 votes)Vote
A Piece Of Strange (1 votes)Vote
Fishscale (2 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I felt like I had answered this recently and I was right
Sep 26th 2018
I thought I asked this before!!
Sep 27th 2018
RE: Battle of 2006 (Hip-Hop)
Sep 27th 2018
In order:
Sep 27th 2018
Voted for Game Theory
Sep 27th 2018
HELLLL yes.
Sep 27th 2018
Donuts six times. n/m
Sep 27th 2018

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13192 posts
Wed Sep-26-18 09:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I felt like I had answered this recently and I was right "
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2997634&mesg_id=2997634&listing_type=search

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 05:19 AM

2. "I thought I asked this before!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Damn.

I just broke these albums out again lol.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18637 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 11:05 AM

3. "RE: Battle of 2006 (Hip-Hop)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-27-18 11:12 AM by DJR

1. Game Theory
2. Hell Hath No Fury
3. Fishscale
4. Food and Liquor

* I played the hell out of all 4 of those back in 2006.

*Hard for me to rate A Piece of Strange because while I was aware of it at the time, I didn’t have the album in ‘06. Didn’t listen to it until probably 2-3 years later. I don’t know....just makes it hard to place it when I was listening to those other 4 at the same time because the others were basically the soundtrack of my life and tied to the memories of what I was doing at the time(along with others like Little Brother - Separate But Equal and Snoop - Blue Carpet Treatment.

*I also played the hell out of Donuts. That, Game Theory, and Food and Liquor were all day 1 CD purchases, I believe. But it’s hard for me to compare instrumentals to those others.

* The leaked Food and Liquor would be number 1. I assume we’re talking official version though. While it was still a good album, I was and still am a little sour in particular that they removed Ghetto Story which would’ve been the best song on the album IMO as well as basically all the other changes. Theme Music to a Driveby!!?? Cmon! How do you cut those? IMO, none of the changes they made were for the better. This goes up there with Nas - I Am....as one of the all time “what could’ve been” albums.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "In order:"
In response to Reply # 0

1. A Piece of Strange
2. Hell Hath No Fury
3. Game Theory (just barely behind "Hell Hath...")
4. Fishscale
5. Donuts
6. Food & Liquor

Of those, APOS through Game Theory are all really close. Same with Fishscale and Donuts. F&L is quite a bit behind all of those. That album never really clicked with me.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 07:22 PM

5. "Voted for Game Theory"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't hear Donuts and Food & Liquor in '06.

But Game Theory was not not only the sign that The Roots were BACK after the disappointing Tipping Point. (Still some heat on there but it was neither pop enough for them to blow or connected to their fans, although it was a good career step for them.)

It also set the template for all of the albums released afterwards. Dark, angry, a little more political.

I just thought of this now, but in a way it struck the balance The Tipping Point couldn't hit.

Don't Feel Right isn't as good of a single as Can't Say Nuttin', which is fine since it's a better song which meant GT didn't have that potential for commercial appeal.

But False Media / Game Theory / Don't Feel Right / In the Music / Baby / Here I Come / Long Time is among the best stretch of songs in their catalog. And In The Music and Here I Come are really catchy and might have given them some run on radio, if the songs were released in years past.

Donuts I caught on later and while I see the conceptual genius and the master level of craft needed to pull it off, I just couldn't connect with the beats. I'm not just into Dilla's style although I can appreciate his technical skill.

Food & Liquor was a good album I thought. Played Kick, Push and Daydreamer a lot along with the rest of the album. Maybe I ought to go back and listen to this again but it is a good album but it didn't connect enough for me to revere it.

Didn't listen to the other two.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 07:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "HELLLL yes."
In response to Reply # 5

>But False Media / Game Theory / Don't Feel Right / In the
>Music / Baby / Here I Come / Long Time is among the best
>stretch of songs in their catalog. And In The Music and Here I
>Come are really catchy and might have given them some run on
>radio, if the songs were released in years past.

I was psyched that Here I Come got play on TV and in movies, etc. Felt like that shit broke through to the mainstream without even really trying. Which was perfect.

One of the many reasons I think this is The Roots' best album.

And the run you speak of - hell yea. I remember the first time I popped this album in I was just continuously blown away every track up until Long Time. It didn't get any worse from there (I love every song on this joint) but after Long Time it just kind of leveled off, which was fine.

What a great album.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Thu Sep-27-18 07:45 PM

6. "Donuts six times. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3009765 Previous topic | Next topic