Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3009651

Subject: "The Unheard White Album (The Beatles) - RS swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13956 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 09:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Unheard White Album (The Beatles) - RS swipe"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beatles-unheard-white-album-exclusive-first-listen-727928/

HOME>MUSIC>MUSIC FEATURES

SEPTEMBER 24, 2018 9:01AM ET

The Unheard White Album: An Exclusive First Listen

The massive new box set of the Beatles’ 1968 masterpiece is full of unheard gems. Here are 15 of the most revelatory moments.

By ROB SHEFFIELD

Everything we know about the White Album is about to change. The Beatles’ 1968 masterpiece has always been been the deepest mystery in their story—their wildest, strangest, most experimental, most brilliant music. But as it turns out, the White Album is even weirder than anyone realized. Especially when you’re hearing it in Abbey Road, the fabled London studio where the band spent five long months making it. Over a couple of sunny days (and late nights) in Abbey Road, Rolling Stone got a one-on-one exclusive tour of the previously unheard gems from the new Super Deluxe Edition of The Beatles (due November 9), forever known as the White Album. Producer Giles Martin, son of George Martin, is a valiant guide, playing outtakes from deep in the vaults, often grabbing a guitar to demonstrate a chord change. “They were a band on fire,” he says. “It’s double or triple Sgt. Pepper—the four walls of this studio couldn’t hold them anymore.”

Part of the White Album mystique is all the drama that went into it—the arguments and bad vibes are the stuff of legend. So the big shock is all the humor, excitement, and camaraderie on display in the new set. Case in point: a previously unknown version of “Good Night” where John, Paul, George and Ringo all harmonize over folk guitar. As Martin admits, “You listen to them sing together and ask, ‘This is the White Album?”

Yes, this is the White Album—and the stunning box set goes deep into the creative frenzy the Beatles surged through in 1968. There’s a new mix from producer Giles Martin and engineer Sam Okell, plus four discs of outtakes. The bonus material is full of revelations, especially the crown jewel of buried Beatle treasures: the acoustic Esher demos.

It follows in the wake of last year’s acclaimed anniversary edition of Sgt Pepper. But this is a deeper dive, since the album covers so much ground. With their batteries recharged from their India retreat, all four were hitting new peaks as songwriters—even Ringo, who contributed “Don’t Pass Me By.” They couldn’t wait to get back into the studio. They had no idea how much trauma they were in for. George’s “Not Guilty” went through 102 takes—and still didn’t make the album. Their long-suffering producer bailed after a few months. Ringo not only quit the group for a couple of weeks, he fled the country.

They drove each other to the edge making it—but that’s how they came up with the most audacious music of their lives. What comes across all over the new material is the nerve, the spontaneity, the collective risk-taking, the team spirit. As the tapes roll, the lads sound surprisingly playful. At the end of one take, Paul quips, “Keep that one. Mark it fab.” They’re not afraid to indulge their craziest ideas. As Giles Martin diplomatically puts it, “The line between a final master and dicking around is narrowing down.”

The outtakes defies the conventional wisdom that this is where the band split into four solo artists. “Do you think the perception of the Beatles history has been tainted by their own commentary in the early Seventies?” Martin asks. “That’s what I get. I think post-Beatles, when the champagne cork has flown out of the bottle, and they’ve gone their separate ways, they reacted against it. ‘Oh, to be honest we didn’t work well as a group,’ and that sort of thing. Yet they never slowed down creatively. I quite like the idea of them throwing cups of tea at each other in the studio. I’m mildly disappointed not to find it. But what they’re doing is making a record.”

The Deluxe and Super Deluxe Editions finally unveil the Esher demos, which hardcore Beatle freaks have been clamoring to hear for years. In May 1968, just back from India, the group gathered at George’s bungalow in Esher (pronounced “Ee-sher”) to tape unplugged versions of the new songs they’d already stockpiled for the new album. Over the next days, working together or solo, they busked 27 songs. The tapes sat in a suitcase in George’s house for years. Seven tracks came out on Anthology 3; others have never been released in any Beatle version, including John’s “Child of Nature” and George’s “Sour Milk Sea.” The Esher tapes alone make this collection essential, with a fresh homemade intimacy that’s unique. Martin says, “They’re rough takes, but spiritually, the performances stand on their own.”

This edition has new versions of other songs from the same period: “Hey Jude,” “Lady Madonna,” “The Inner Light,” “Across the Universe.” (But not the B-side “Hey Bulldog,” since there aren’t any outtakes—they tried it only once.) They also have a bash at oldies like “Blue Moon” and “You’re So Square (Baby I Don’t Care).” It shows what should have been evident all along from the original record—they sound like a true band, four guys who can’t stop showing off for each other, too passionate about their songs to consider backing down. (Or to notice everyone around them cracking under the strain, even the stoic Mr. Martin. His son explains, “There was no schedule, and he loved a schedule.”)

Of course, the essence of the White Album is that everyone hears it differently—including the Beatles themselves. They clashed over what to include, what to leave out, whether it should have been edited down to a single record. (Years later, in the Anthology documentary, they were still arguing over it.) This edition will fire up those arguments. But even for fans who know the original album inside out, it’s a whole new experience—one that will permanently change how we think and talk about the Beatles.

Here are 15 of the most revelatory moments:

1. “Revolution 1”

The legendary Take 18, a nearly 11-minute jam from the first day of the White Album sessions. The other Beatles were surprised to see someone new at John’s side: Yoko Ono, who became a constant presence in the studio. It begins as the version you know from the record: John’s flubbed guitar intro, engineer Geoff Emerick’s “take two,” John’s “okaaay.” But where the original fades out, this one is just getting started. The groove builds as John keeps chanting “all right, all right,” from a low moan to a high scream. Yoko joins the band to add distorted synth feedback, while Paul clangs on piano. She recites prose poetry, fragments of which that ended up in “Revolution 9”: “It’s like being naked…if you become naked.”

The story of this jam has been told many times, usually presented as a grim scene where Yoko barges in, sowing the seeds of discord—the beginning of the end. So it’s a surprise to hear how much fun they’re all having. It ends in a fit of laughter—she nervously asks, “That’s too much?” John tells her it sounds great and Paul agrees: “Yeah, it’s wild!”

2. “Sexy Sadie”

As the band warms up, George playfully sings a hook from Sgt. Pepper: “It’s getting better all the tiiiime!” John snorts. “Is it, right?” Take 3 is an acerbic version of “Sexy Sadie,” with Paul doodling on the organ. Yet despite the nasty wit, the band sounds totally in sync. When George asks, “How fast, John?,” he responds, “However you feel it.”

3. “Long, Long, Long”

George’s hushed hymn has always been underrated—partly because it’s mastered way too quiet. In the fantastic Take 44, “Long, Long, Long” comes alive as a duet between George and Ringo, with the drums crashing in dialogue with the whispery vocals. Giles Martin explains, “I suppose, as is documented here, George was Ringo’s best friend, as he says. That song is kind of the two of them.” George starts freestyling at the end: “Gathering, gesturing, glimmering, glittering, happening, hovering, humoring, hammering, laquering, lecturing, laboring, lumbering, mirroring…” It closes with the spooky death-rattle chord, originally the sound of a wine bottle vibrating on Paul’s amp. “It still gives you the fear when it comes.”

4. “Good Night”

Of all the alternate takes, “Good Night” is the one that will leave most listeners baffled why this wasn’t the version that made the album. Instead of lush strings, it has John’s finger-picking guitar and the whole group harmonizing on the “good night, sleep tight” chorus. It’s rare to hear all four singing together at this stage, and it’s breathtaking in its warmth. “I do prefer this version to the record,” Martin admits. (He won’t be the last to say this.)

John plays the same guitar pattern as “Dear Prudence” and “Julia.” That’s one of the distinctive sonic features of the White Album—the Beatles had their acoustic chops in peak condition, since there had been nothing else to do for kicks in Rishikesh. In India, their fellow pilgrim Donovan taught them the finger-picking style of London folkies like Davey Graham. “Donovan taught him this guitar part. John was like ‘great!,’ and then in classic Beatle style, went and wrote three songs using the same guitar part.”
The other “Good Night” takes are closer to the original’s cornball lullaby spirit. In one, Ringo croons over George Martin’s spare piano; in another, he does a spoken-word introduction. “Come on now, put all those toys away—it’s time to jump into bed. Go off into dreamland. Yes, Daddy will sing a song for you.” By the end, he quips, “Ringo’s gone a bit crazy.”

5. “Helter Skelter”

This Paul song inspired endless studio jams, lurching into proto-headbang noise—they started it the day after the Yellow Submarine premiere, so maybe they just craved the opposite extreme. This take is 13 minutes of primal thud—remarkably close to Black Sabbath, around the time Sabbath were still in Birmingham inventing their sound.

6. “Blackbird”

Paul plays around with the song—“Dark black, dark black, dark black night”—trying to nail the vibe. It isn’t there yet. He tells George Martin, “See, if we’re ever to reach it, I’ll be able to tell you when I’ve just done it. It just needs forgetting about it. It’s a decision which voice to use.” He thinks his way through the song, his then-girlfriend Francie audible in the background. “It’s all in his timing,” Martin says. “There’s two separate things, a great guitarist and a great singer—he’s managed to disconnect and put them back together. He’s trying to work out where they meet.”

7. “Dear Prudence”

Of all the Esher demos, “Dear Prudence” might be the one that best shows off their rowdy humor. John ends his childlike reverie by cracking up his bandmates, narrating the tale of Prudence Farrow that inspired the song. “A meditation course in Rishikesh, India,” he declares. “She was to go completely berserk under the care of the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Everybody around was very worried about the girl, because she was going insaaaane. So we sang to her.”

8. “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”

There’s an early acoustic demo, but Take 27, recorded over a month later, rocks harder than the album version—John on organ, Paul on piano, lead guitar from special guest Eric Clapton. (George invited his friend to come play, partly because he knew the others would behave themselves around Clapton.) The groove only falls part when George tries to hit a Smokey Robinson-style high note and totally flubs it. “It’s okay,” George says. “I tried to do a Smokey, and I just aren’t Smokey.”

9. “Hey Jude”

Recorded in the midst of the sessions, but planned for a one-off single, Paul’s ballad is still in raw shape, but even in this first take, it’s already designed as a 7-minute epic, with Paul singing the na-na-na outro himself. Another gem on this box: an early attempt at “Let It Be,” with Paul’s original lyric showing his explicit link to American R&B: “When I find myself in times of trouble / Brother Malcolm comes to me.”

10. “Child of Nature”

Another treasure from Esher. “Child of Nature” is a gentle ballad John wrote about the retreat to India: “On the road to Rishikesh / I was dreaming more or less.” He scrapped it for the album, but dug it back out a few years later, wrote new words, and turned it into one of his most famous solo tunes: “Jealous Guy.”

11. “JULIA”

One of John’s most intimate confessions—the only Beatle track where he’s performing all by himself. You can hear his nerves as he sits with his guitar and asks George Martin, in a jokey Scouse accent, “Is it better standing up, do you think? It’s very hard to sing this, you know.” The producer reassures him. “It’s a very hard song, John.” “‘Julia’ was one of my dad’s favorites,” Giles says. “When I began playing guitar in my teens, he told me to learn that one.”

12. “Can You Take Me Back?”

The snippet on Side Four that serves as an eerie transition into the abstract sound-collage chaos of “Revolution 9.” Paul toys with it for a couple of minutes, trying to flesh it out into a bit of country blues—“I ain’t happy here, my honey, are you happy here?”

13. “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da”

Paul spent a week driving the band through this ditty, until John finally stormed out of the studio. He returned a few hours later, stoned out of his mind, then banged on the piano in a rage, coming up with the jingle-jangle intro that gets the riff going. This early version is pleasant but overly smooth—it shows why the song really did need that nasty edge. A perfect example of the Beatle collaborative spirit: John might loathe the song, Paul might resent John’s sabotage, but both care too deeply about the music not to get it right.

14. “Sour Milk Sea”

A great George highlight from the Esher tapes—“Sour Milk Sea” didn’t make the cut for the album, but he gave it to Liverpool pal Jackie Lomax who scored a one-shot hit with it. (It definitely deserved to rank ahead of “Piggies,” which remains the weakest track on any version of this album.) “Not Guilty” and “Circles” are other George demos that fell into limbo—“Not Guilty” sounds ready to go at Esher, yet in the studio, it was doomed to over a hundred fruitless takes.

15. “Happiness Is a Warm Gun”

A tricky experiment they learned together in the studio, with John toying with the structure and his mock doo-wop falsetto. “Is anybody finding it easier?” he asks. “It seems a little easier—it’s just no fun, but it’s easier.” George pipes in. “Easier and fun.” John replies, “Oh, all right, if you insist.” It’s a moment that sums up all the surprising discoveries on this White Album edition: a moment where the Beatles find themselves at the edge of the unknown, with no one to count on except each other. But that’s when they inspire each other to charge ahead and greet the brand new day.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Beatles fans have got to be the most gullible consumers of music
Sep 24th 2018
The Blu-ray surround mix is what I'd like to hear
Sep 24th 2018
Ehh...
Sep 24th 2018
      1987 to 2008, seems like.....every .......two.......years......?
Sep 24th 2018
      I was exaggerating but I totally feel this is what hardcore fans do
Sep 24th 2018
      I thought Let It Be...Naked was great
Sep 25th 2018
      you should check out the pet sounds outtakes if you haven't already
Sep 25th 2018
           Heard some, and man, that shit is fantastic
Sep 26th 2018
trailer for the release
Sep 25th 2018
Very excited about this
Sep 26th 2018
It took me years to realize it's their best album
Sep 28th 2018
The 5.1 blu-ray mix is DOPE
Nov 13th 2018
that "dear prudence" baseline
Nov 14th 2018
I don't know why anyone would care about The Beatles in 2018
Nov 14th 2018
I'm on disc 6 now on spotify
Nov 14th 2018
RE: The Unheard White Album (The Beatles) - RS swipe
Dec 11th 2018

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 10:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Beatles fans have got to be the most gullible consumers of music"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-24-18 10:37 AM by adg87

I get it. It's always good to hear unearthed gems and alternate renditions of one of the most iconic catologs in music history, but damn. It seems like every two years or so, the remastering of the last remastering of the last remastering of Magical Mystery Tour comes out, and Beatles fans are only too willing to shell out hundreds of bucks for the same damm songs just because Paul breathed different on Penny Lane. I'm only a middle of the pack fan anyway so maybe I just don't get it.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The Blu-ray surround mix is what I'd like to hear"
In response to Reply # 1

But I agree - I don't want to spend $100 on it.

I did buy the 30th Anniversary edition - I think that cost $30 back then.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 02:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Ehh..."
In response to Reply # 1

The CD remasters from about 10 years ago were a HUGE step up from the original 1987 CD masters that had been the only previous versions. Those original CD masters were widely considered to be ass, so the significant upgrade was well overdo and extremely well-received by fans and critics.

The only subsequent remaster that I'm aware of was last year's Sgt. Pepper remaster, which was less a remaster than a complete and fairly drastic re-imagining of the stereo mix, going well beyond just tinkering with some levels here and there. The stereo mix was an afterthought when they made it, as the format was still fairly new at the time. The rationale for the new mix was that they were able to do things with the music mix that the band wanted to do in '67 but were technologically unable to do. A very interesting listen for people who know the album inside and out but not worth buying unless you're a hardcore fan. (I am, if you couldn't tell.)

The draw here for the white album, though, is the unreleased stuff. For those who have heard the Anthology material from the mid 90s, a lot of it really is a revelation. These aren't, like, mildly different alternate takes, but a huge window into the creative process, hearing acoustic demos morph into early arrangements, and continue to be changed - often significantly - until they made it to the final state that made the albums.

I don't care too much about demos and outtakes from most bands/artists, but for the Beatles it's usually really interesting and enjoyable to listen to.

----

c71
13956 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 03:46 PM

4. "1987 to 2008, seems like.....every .......two.......years......?"
In response to Reply # 3

yeah, I thought so.

Don't forget "Let it be...naked" was released in 2003. But that was a really essential project because Paul so famously hated the Phil Spector production on the 1970 "Let it Be" release (plus they added "Don't let me down" on it - which was a good thing to do).

Many fans said the Glyn Johns mixes should have been released and they panned "let it be... naked" but I was not that obsessive to not have really liked "let it be...Naked"

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Mon Sep-24-18 04:05 PM

5. "I was exaggerating but I totally feel this is what hardcore fans do "
In response to Reply # 4

I just never understood the need to jump on EVERYTHING that wasn't previously available, and to do it at any cost. And again I get the fanaticism of it all. I have several Coltrane reissues and remasters, as I love him and the quartet ioth all my being, but I'm prudent in what I find the need to go after where I feel as though Beatles fans are overly fanatic. I'm not trashing y'all C. At the end of the day it's all about the music. Too each his own.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Sep-25-18 08:11 AM

7. "I thought Let It Be...Naked was great"
In response to Reply # 4

organix
Member since Jul 10th 2002
855 posts
Tue Sep-25-18 08:47 PM

8. "you should check out the pet sounds outtakes if you haven't already "
In response to Reply # 3

brilliant stuff right here: https://www.youtube.com/user/BehindTheSounds

-----------------------------

my music: www.soundcloud.com/jessewarren
my mixes: www.mixcloud.com/jessewarren
my label: www.fb.com/mettamuzik

The Analyst
Member since Sep 22nd 2007
4621 posts
Wed Sep-26-18 04:19 PM

9. "Heard some, and man, that shit is fantastic"
In response to Reply # 8

Also, some of the stuff from their SMiLE sessions is a great listen as well.

----

c71
13956 posts
Tue Sep-25-18 06:18 AM

6. "trailer for the release"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhy26KIOEI

maro
Charter member

10. "Very excited about this"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-26-18 05:20 PM by maro

I loved the Sgt Peppers re-do, and it had me fall back into their entire catalog last year in a more obsessive way then ever before. The older I get, the more I enjoy hearing the nuances of the demos, outtakes, etc. And come on, it's the white album, the damn holy grail of beatles albums, at least for me.

werd.

OKdamn
Member since Dec 04th 2010
1314 posts
Fri Sep-28-18 12:33 AM

11. "It took me years to realize it's their best album"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-28-18 12:49 AM by OKdamn

Imo..
All of their songs are great to me except for Maxwell's Silver Hammer and All Together Now ("Paul's granny music"- John) but I've always loved watching that apple spin around while listening to this weird LP. It's got more gut and is a little more dirty than anything else they made.

handle
Charter member
18942 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 11:37 PM

12. "The 5.1 blu-ray mix is DOPE"
In response to Reply # 0

I've hear 24/96 5.1 flacs made from it and it sound really - really - good.

Way better than the 5.1 of Sgt. Peppers.

If you can listen to it in surround I suggest that you do so.

It's GOOD.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

maro
Charter member

13. "that "dear prudence" baseline"
In response to Reply # 0

is one of my favorite baselines ever.

and the new mix has it sooooo clear.

the new release is on Spotify.

werd.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed Nov-14-18 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I don't know why anyone would care about The Beatles in 2018"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-14-18 09:48 AM by Nodima

but if you do, listening to the 2018 mixes of The White Album is like waking up from a long nap and suddenly you're 13 again, trying on a good pair of headphones for the first time.

Sometimes it's a bit of a Star Wars Special Edition experience, since these songs clearly weren't designed to be fully tracked out and then mixed for Apple AirPods, but it's neat to hear new things in these songs for the first time in twenty years.

Glass Onion might be the best example of what's going on there (though, as said above, hearing "Dear Prudence" on this thing is a revelation), since it used to sound like it was swimming in mud and now it sounds like a modern James Bond title sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQIAWh3YBs

Runner-up: when that piano finally twinkles into existence on "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" and you feel like you have new ammo in the argument for how fun and good that song is.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

maro
Charter member

15. "I'm on disc 6 now on spotify"
In response to Reply # 14

and this whole things is amazing treat. hearing all the takes, the conversations. so many new bits of songs and them having fun freestyling lyrics and music to see how it sounds.

werd.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 06:51 PM

16. "RE: The Unheard White Album (The Beatles) - RS swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

I just picked up this tape at the goodwill over a year and a half ago.....

Lobby The Lesson topic #3009651 Previous topic | Next topic