Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3008687

Subject: "Rakim Reflects On His Life In Hip-Hop And What Happened With Eric B. " Previous topic | Next topic
kelvinmercerlookalike
Member since Jan 08th 2006
6024 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 06:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rakim Reflects On His Life In Hip-Hop And What Happened With Eric B. "

*swipe*

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/27/642400564/rakim-reflects-on-his-life-in-hip-hop-and-what-happened-with-eric-b

There's a good reason why legendary emcee Rakim is known as "The God" among hip-hop fans and disciples.

He was just a teenager when he first came to prominence as one half of the duo Eric B. & Rakim. Their 1987 debut album, Paid in Full, is often cited as a turning point in the golden age of hip-hop, thanks largely to Rakim's approach to lyricism. He raised the genre to new heights with his uniquely stoic flow and his use of a multi-syllabic rhyming structure that was complex, poetic and infused with meaning.

An example of the sheer density of his rhyming style (both structurally and metaphorically) is in the title track from Eric B. & Rakim's second album, Follow The Leader:
EricBAndRakimVEVO YouTube

"Everything was kind of organic, man, for me and Eric B. to do what we did," said Rakim on What's Good. "I was 17 ... I was so young it took me a while to figure out how I wanted to approach hip-hop and let the people know how I wanted to get down."

Rakim would complete four albums with Eric B. before their partnership dissolved amid a business disagreement in 1992 (he'll get into that in the interview). After a brief hiatus, he embarked on a solo career in 1997 that resulted in three albums, The 18th Letter, The Master and The Seventh Seal.

Eric B. and Rakim reunited this year for a series of live dates. Though Rakim hasn't released an album of new material in nearly a decade, his influence on hip-hop permeates the genre to this day.

Rakim joined What's Good hosts Stretch and Bobbito to look back on his iconic career, including reflections on his Islamic faith, the dissolution of his duo with Eric B., and the patience it takes to craft the perfect rhyme.
Interview Highlights:

On What Happened Between Him and Eric B:

I can't beat around the bush, because it would sound stupid. We had three more albums left on the contract and Eric B. came up with an idea. He said ... if he'd do a solo joint, I'd do a solo joint, then we get together and do the last joint. Then our contracts would be up, we could negotiate new contracts. Meanwhile, when he'd do the solo joint he'd take all the money for that, when I'd do my solo joint I take all the money for that, get back together new album, new deal. You know, it was money signs. Long story short, Eric B. did his, I signed off and when it was time for me to do mine, he didn't want to sign off. So that caused a lot of problems.

That caused the breakup of Eric B. and Rakim. Again, man, it was business. He felt that if he would have signed for some reason I wasn't going to sign back to the last album. He felt I was going to cut him out for some reason. That was the misunderstanding. I ain't gonna front, man, bitter taste in my mouth for a long time. But like I said, I finally matured on that situation and realized it was bigger than us, so we here right now.

On His Aunt, Singer and Actress Ruth Brown:

My aunt taught me through her actions, man, know what I mean? She let me know what to look out for and things of that nature, and I learned so much just from being her nephew, and watching and being around her, man... She heard my songs, man, and she was real proud of her nephew. She's real sharp with her craft so she was analyzing what I was doing. She'd tell me she heard a certain song and then she'll tell me I remind her of somebody from back in the days, a jazz artist or a certain way that I was rhyming, she'll tell me the time code, know what I mean? She just loved music, whenever she heard good music, she definitely appreciated it, and she was proud of her nephew.

On NFL Players Kneeling in Protest:

Deep down I am who I am, if it's rapping, if it's being a father... I still have the same ideologies on life. So I would've been not only kneeling down, I would have been encouraging my team to take a stand as well. Once I would've started seeing all the turmoil, then of course I would've tried to implement smart ways of bringing consciousness to the situation, man.

I think that's all it is, man. I think with all the craziness that's going on, nobody want to stir the pot, but we gotta make sure that everybody has their justice man, and athletes and musicians and actors, and things of that nature, we have a lot of power. So if we can influence the kids in the neighborhood to stand up, then we should be able to do that no matter what platform it is.

*CROCKER*

word booty.

HSUBAKCITS

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
thanks
Sep 03rd 2018
nobody has ever started out as good as he did and so young
Sep 03rd 2018
LL Cool J
Sep 03rd 2018
      Ra at 16 changed how everybody in rap approached rhymes
Sep 04th 2018
      Rakim was 17 when PIF came out
Sep 04th 2018
           I was 17 when PIF came out
Sep 05th 2018
           I feel you I was just saying there's nobody to really compare him to
Sep 06th 2018
                got you
Sep 07th 2018
                     The question was whether L was as good as Ra. He wasn’t.
Sep 08th 2018
           RE: Rakim was 17 when PIF came out
Sep 06th 2018
People really wanted an Eric B. solo album?
Sep 03rd 2018
Eric B. really wanted an Eric B. solo album
Sep 04th 2018
You're Right He Wanted To Go Solo But Nobody Else Did
Sep 05th 2018
      LOL!!!!!
Sep 05th 2018
nobody wanted an Eric B. album.
Sep 04th 2018
      He's even looking like "I know yall didnt ask for this, but please ...
Sep 04th 2018
           he's singing and rapping all over it
Sep 04th 2018
           I’m Just Here So I Don’t Get Fired: The Album
Sep 04th 2018
                HAHAHAHAHA
Sep 06th 2018
DOO DOO on MCs!!!!
Sep 06th 2018

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13953 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 06:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "thanks"
In response to Reply # 0

yes

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 07:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "nobody has ever started out as good as he did and so young"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 11:12 PM

4. "LL Cool J"
In response to Reply # 2

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 11:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Ra at 16 changed how everybody in rap approached rhymes"
In response to Reply # 4

So nah.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 08:57 PM

9. "Rakim was 17 when PIF came out"
In response to Reply # 4

and some of those rhymes, by his own admission, were a few years old by the time the album came out.

If you can show me a middle schooler writing rhyme dismounts like that, I'd love to see it. And in no way am I shitting on LL because he's always been a monster.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 10:37 PM

14. "I was 17 when PIF came out"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm 47 now and Rakim is 50. he may have wrote the rhymes when he was 17, still impressive though

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 07:23 PM

18. "I feel you I was just saying there's nobody to really compare him to"
In response to Reply # 14

in regards to being that good, that early. Guy literally changed the course of emceeing forever, in a positive way, as a mid-teenager.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Fri Sep-07-18 12:24 AM

19. "got you"
In response to Reply # 18

but I wasn't talking about changing the game or impact. I was just saying that LL Cool J came out the gate really good, really young

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Sep-08-18 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "The question was whether L was as good as Ra. He wasn’t. "
In response to Reply # 19
Sat Sep-08-18 04:34 PM by spirit

Nobody has been as good as young as Ra = the claim

Your rebuttal = L

Except L wasn’t as good as Ra when they were 16 or 17. Or any given year up to the present, frankly.

So that’s that.

>but I wasn't talking about changing the game or impact. I was
>just saying that LL Cool J came out the gate really good,
>really young
>
><=========================================
>https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

spidey
Charter member
13118 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 04:05 PM

17. "RE: Rakim was 17 when PIF came out"
In response to Reply # 9

...I will shit on dude...after this it was a rap for him...corny sell out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSurzeGvPrQ

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Sep-03-18 09:56 PM

3. "People really wanted an Eric B. solo album?"
In response to Reply # 0

I just can't see it

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44709 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 01:27 PM

6. "Eric B. really wanted an Eric B. solo album"
In response to Reply # 3

I guess he thought it was make some money? Though I don't know how.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 03:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "You're Right He Wanted To Go Solo But Nobody Else Did"
In response to Reply # 6

What's real funny about that solo album, I heard that a young Freddie Foxxx ghostwrote the raps on it, which wouldn't surprise me since he was suppose to be the rapper Eric B. was working with before Rakim; but I know Freddie Foxxx didn't always tell people that cause that's like the kat from Brainsick Mobb who claimed he ghostwrote some of Melachi the Nutcracker's verses on "Livin' Proof", that's nothing to be proud of homie, LOL.

When I first heard about the solo album I thought it was going to be a compilation of other rappers over Eric B.'s production not him rappin' and singing, when I heard the single "I Can't Let You" I thought maybe somebody should've said that to him, so I never listened to the album and I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Wed Sep-05-18 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "LOL!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 12

>not him rappin' and singing, when I heard the single "I Can't
>Let You" I thought maybe somebody should've said that to him,
>so I never listened to the album and I'm glad I dodged that
>bullet.
>
>
>

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

tariqhu
Charter member
17878 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 01:40 PM

7. "nobody wanted an Eric B. album."
In response to Reply # 3

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 03:20 PM

8. "He's even looking like &quot;I know yall didnt ask for this, but please ..."
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Sep-04-18 03:23 PM by tully_blanchard

https://goo.gl/images/bRkyGc

I've never heard not one thing off this record ever in life.

After forcing myself to listen "Chinese Arithemetic", and "Eric B Never Scared", I couldnt do it to myself

**I just skimmed through it and, it's about as bad as you thought.
Just him (is that him?) rapping over a bunch of common samples. (Cameo-Candy, Misdemeanor...etc)

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 08:59 PM

10. "he's singing and rapping all over it"
In response to Reply # 8

most of the beats are basically loops that had made big records already

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Tue Sep-04-18 09:37 PM

11. "I’m Just Here So I Don’t Get Fired: The Album"
In response to Reply # 8

Face lookin hella apologetic.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 12:45 PM

15. "HAHAHAHAHA"
In response to Reply # 11

I remember seeing the cassette somewhere and just shaking my head.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Thu Sep-06-18 04:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "DOO DOO on MCs!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

this was the best stretch & bob episode yet.. they finally had a pretty relaxed conversation that didnt feel totally rushed.. this was a nice improvement.

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lobby The Lesson topic #3008687 Previous topic | Next topic