Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3008153

Subject: "Death Cab for Cutie - Thank you for today (npr first listen stream)" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13927 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 09:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Death Cab for Cutie - Thank you for today (npr first listen stream)"

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/13/636053290/first-listen-death-cab-for-cutie-thank-you-for-today?t=1534164178601

First Listen: Death Cab For Cutie, 'Thank You For Today'
38:30

August 13, 20185:00 AM ET

Washington, DC - May 03, 2016: Stephen Thompson CREDIT: Matt Roth
STEPHEN THOMPSON

Death Cab for Cutie's new album, Thank You for Today, comes out August 17.

When Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard was in his 20s, his songs chronicled the awkward strivings of youth: finding yourself, falling in love, learning to navigate physical and emotional distances in relationships. In his 30s, the stories evolved to address that decade's destabilizing forces — failed marriages, derailed dreams, atrophied friendships — while still putting to good use the wisdom that comes with a young lifetime's worth of mistakes and triumphs.

death cab
Thank You For Today comes out August 17 via Atlantic Records.

Thank You for Today is Death Cab's ninth album, and at 42, Gibbard's point of view has shifted again. If 2015's Kintsugi documented the sullen aftermath of a painful divorce, this record is here to tunefully chronicle the wistful aftermath of the aftermath: an attempt to return to the life you once knew, only to find that it's changed shape while you weren't looking.

In the infectiously chugging single "Gold Rush," that means clinging to a hometown that's been radically reshaped by growth and gentrification: "Now that our haunts have taken flight / And been replaced with construction sites / Oh, how I feel like a stranger here / Searching for something that's disappeared." In the song's chorus, Gibbard uncorks a sentiment that could double as a mantra for early middle age: "Please don't change." (That plea only gets hammered home in the set-closing "60 & Punk," during which Gibbard warily surveys the life of a musician whose world has curdled with age: "It's nothing elegant in being a drunk / It's nothing righteous being 60 and punk / But when you're looking in the mirror do you see / The kid that you used to be?")

For a band in its third decade — not to mention one still adjusting to life without founding member Chris Walla, who's moved on to other projects — Death Cab hasn't lost its gift for pairing Gibbard's soft ruminations with propulsive arrangements that know just when to sparkle and sway. But even more importantly, Gibbard himself still sings with a sense of purpose, keenly articulating a distinct swirl of nostalgia, loss and hope for new beginnings.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So fired up for this.
Aug 17th 2018
man I think they've lost their touch
Aug 17th 2018
We Have The Facts, The Photo Album, and Transatlanticism
Aug 21st 2018
Ooooh you didn't like Plans??
Aug 21st 2018
      the guy who made it - the leader (whatever his name is) said "Plans"
Aug 21st 2018
           Ah, Ben Gibbard
Aug 22nd 2018
Really like everything through Codes and Keys
Aug 21st 2018

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So fired up for this."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm copping today when I get home. Prolly won't actually listen til Sunday. You can't listen to a DC album when you're on the go. Gotta focus.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Fri Aug-17-18 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "man I think they've lost their touch"
In response to Reply # 0

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 08:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "We Have The Facts, The Photo Album, and Transatlanticism "
In response to Reply # 0

are pretty special to me, but I lost interest with the group starting with Plans. I think it was partly my taste changing and them just kind of losing that touch they had. I tried listening to this recent one but kind of stopped halfway as nothing really resonated with me. I might give it another listen sometime as I'm sure there's probably a few decent tracks, but I'm not sure when that'll be as I just don't feel that excited about their music anymore.

adg87
5301 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 09:23 AM

4. "Ooooh you didn't like Plans??"
In response to Reply # 3

Man, I loved that piece. Not on the level of the 3 you mentioned, but it was solid. I've oddly never heard any real negative feedback from that album.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13927 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 09:29 AM

5. "the guy who made it - the leader (whatever his name is) said "Plans""
In response to Reply # 4

was a bit too cut and paste with the way it was put together.

That's why he had the following album recorded with the band playing live for the songs.

So, the leader wasn't satisfied with the feel (or something) of "Plans"

adg87
5301 posts
Wed Aug-22-18 09:14 AM

7. "Ah, Ben Gibbard"
In response to Reply # 5

Didn't know he felt that way. "I Will Follow You Into The Dark" is one of my favorite Death Cab songs, so I got a lotta love for the album itself.

Roadblock
Charter member
7870 posts
Tue Aug-21-18 08:59 PM

6. "Really like everything through Codes and Keys"
In response to Reply # 0

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Lobby The Lesson topic #3008153 Previous topic | Next topic