Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3007826

Subject: "Artists you have to catch up to (the Ahead of Their Time post)" Previous topic | Next topic
fontgangsta
Member since Sep 04th 2005
5467 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Artists you have to catch up to (the Ahead of Their Time post)"

for me it's Mos
I can't front, I have hated every record hes done post-BOBS...for like 1-2 years.
then i give it anther chance and i just GET IT and i love it and I wear it out
Im currently at the spot where i just started loving Dec99, which is what made me think of this - but it was the same for me with Danger, Magic and Ecstatic (tho if im being real im still a little iffy on ecstatic)

this is also the reason why, on my harddrive archive, I have only discographies. If you've made one album I love, and 7 albums that are trash, they're ALL there because i think theres an outside chance your brilliance just went over my head at the time and I'll be glad to have all your records when i figure it out.

not the case more often than not, but thats my own personal neurosis.

at any rate - are there any artists who consistently put out shit you don't like, only to realize later that you or your ears just weren't ready for it yet?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Artists you have to catch up to (the Ahead of Their Time post)
Jul 30th 2018
I hated his stop and go flow on Wrath of the Math
Jul 31st 2018
Skip His 3rd Album, & Listen To His 4 & 5th Albums
Aug 02nd 2018
The Roots
Jul 30th 2018
those two records are incredible
Aug 01st 2018
      Bowie
Aug 01st 2018
      RE: Bowie-same
Aug 02nd 2018
      Undun just isn’t good regardless
Aug 01st 2018
      i agree abt Lighthouse
Aug 02nd 2018
      Questlove admits "and then you shoot your cousin" was ass
Aug 05th 2018
           link it
Aug 05th 2018
Jay-Z is one for me
Jul 30th 2018
I'm the same w/Jay to a certain extent.
Jul 31st 2018
I'll never love Dec99.
Aug 01st 2018
:(
Aug 01st 2018
its a creeper man
Aug 02nd 2018
Steel Pulse
Aug 01st 2018
im not sure theres any artists that fit the question for me
Aug 02nd 2018
with you on this
Aug 02nd 2018
kanye
Aug 02nd 2018
nope
Aug 02nd 2018
      Haha I'm pretty certain he's making fun of someone else.
Aug 02nd 2018
           you are correct, but it's not directed at him personally
Aug 02nd 2018
                Haha true, it does seem to be a general sentiment.
Aug 02nd 2018
RZA.
Aug 03rd 2018
Still can't get the Bobby Digital phase
Aug 03rd 2018
      Did a photo shoot w him once
Aug 04th 2018
Ecstatic is my favorite Mos record since the first one
Aug 04th 2018

spidey
Charter member
13124 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 03:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Artists you have to catch up to (the Ahead of Their Time post)"
In response to Reply # 0

This is taking it back, but when Jeru The Damaja dropped "The Sun Rises in The East" his off kilter rhyme style was ahead of the entire game, and very unique. Don't know what happened, but after the split up with Gangstarr/Primo beats, his flow fell off hard...Still those first two LP's were hard, and his flow type original/slick...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:58 AM

5. "I hated his stop and go flow on Wrath of the Math"
In response to Reply # 1

Especially on this track here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAWS7HqaGf0&index=5&list=PL04ED18ACD56E870F

At the time I was thinking "why does he sound like he's reading off a page? shit is trash"

I'm still not 100% convinced

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
22. "Skip His 3rd Album, & Listen To His 4 & 5th Albums"
In response to Reply # 1

I've always liked Jeru's flow, didn't notice the stop & go style too much cause there is ton of other artists who spit the same way that gets props for doing it all day, Jay-Z has been doing it ever since Blueprint and it annoys the hell of out of me.

Anyway, Jeru's 3rd album "Heroz For Hire" is garbage, I mean that in the best possible way to say it, it has only one good song on there and that's the last song "99.9 Per Cent", I want to say the production but it's his girlfriend or protege Miz Marvel that ruins the album too, she can't rap, shit Melachi The Nutcracker can rhyme better than her; all in all just skip that album and go straight to "Divine Design" & "Still Rising".

"Still Rising" is better than I thought it was when I first heard it, when I first listened I was hoping he got his hunger back which he did, but I think I was looking for that Primo-esqe sound, but once you get over the fact that's not ever happening again, you dig the album for what it is, a solid effort.

I still think he could've gotten with 9th Wonder Fruity Loops production kats and done something to come close to the stuff he did with Primo but I think he's personally staying away from that sound and chooses to rhyme over D.R. Period / Dame Grease type beats most of the time.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 05:19 PM

2. "The Roots"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-30-18 05:20 PM by bentagain

Who knew the game would turn almost completely to 'hypnotic donkey rhythms'

Popped that album in not too long ago

Surprised how relevant it is today

Also

They changed the live performance game IMO

Haven't been to a show in awhile that was just a DAQ or DJ setup

there's usually at least some form of musical instrumentation

even if it's just a real drummer

I'm holding onto the hope that Undun and ATYSYC were ahead of their time as far as concept albums...and they'll hit me full force in a couple of more years.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 07:16 AM

6. "those two records are incredible"
In response to Reply # 2

>I'm holding onto the hope that Undun and ATYSYC were ahead of their time
> as far as concept albums...and they'll hit me full force in a couple of more years.

Folks here can't handle them because Thought doesnt rap enough on them. I think as Thought continues to release more straight up rap records, folks will eventually get over that and appreciate those Roots albums for what they are, which is goddamn masterpieces.
I get it, when a roots album is your only source of Thought raps, you can go into a panic and get crabby when they only deliver a fraction of the verses that they used to. But those folks are missing the forest for the trees.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 02:54 PM

7. "Bowie"
In response to Reply # 6

if we're talking about an artist that I had to go back and learn up on...

it's Bowie

My musical exposure to Bowie was around the China Girl phase

i.e. his incarnation as a teen idol type

I didn't follow his career after that

and posthumously began familiarizing myself with his entire catalog

it seemed like every handful of years...he was completely reinventing his image

the Ziggy character, combining the androg/glam rock with the concept album theme of aliens

almost feels like he was predicting the alienation of himself from society by the subsequent fame

but yeah, for an act that I didn't actually live through their entire career

it's Bowie

IRT the Roots, I do really like the last 2 albums...but I know they are incredible and it just hasn't hit me all the way way yet...

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 07:30 AM

12. "RE: Bowie-same"
In response to Reply # 7

"Modern Love" will forever be my shit...always
I found a slightly beat-up copy of his debut album in the dollar bin about 2 years ago, and have been obsessed ever since.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 06:56 PM

11. "Undun just isn’t good regardless"
In response to Reply # 6

Of the amount of BT verses.

I’ve tried. Several times- even recently.

The album does nothing that Game Theory doesn’t
do 100x better.

The hooks in particular are cringe worthy. That
lighthouse hook is parody bad.

It’s just not a good, or original, Roots album.

And the Roots are my all time favorite group.

I think they only have one truly bad album. It’s Undun.

I can’t really get with ATYSYC either, but at least
you can’t accuse it of being unoriginal.

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 08:25 AM

14. "i agree abt Lighthouse"
In response to Reply # 11

but thats track 8 and its my first skip if im listening thru

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sun Aug-05-18 02:23 PM

27. "Questlove admits "and then you shoot your cousin" was ass"
In response to Reply # 6

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Sun Aug-05-18 03:48 PM

28. "link it"
In response to Reply # 27

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 11:31 PM

3. "Jay-Z is one for me"
In response to Reply # 0

When he dropped Reasonable Doubt, my boy was really into it. But I just couldn't see what the big deal was. It wasn't so much Jay as it is that my tastes are usually behind whatever the new trend is.

I liked random songs of his over the years but it wasn't until the Black Album that his abilities really hit me. It didn't hurt that the production on that album was great too.

I've gone back over his catalog over the years and it's clear how much of a talented rapper he is and how he was ahead of the curve in many respects with his flows and ability to weave street talk with introspective themes. I can now see that RD is a masterpiece and that my tastes were underdeveloped at that time.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 08:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I'm the same w/Jay to a certain extent."
In response to Reply # 3

I was getting into hip-hop as early as 8 years old. In 96 when RD dropped I would've been 12, and was a full-on hip-hop fan by that point. So I watched a lot of BET to discover new songs/artists and I actually pretty vividly remember seeing the video for "Ain't No" and being like "jesus, this dude is wack" haha. Not too long after, I saw the video for "Feelin' It" and due to my distaste for Jay after "Ain't No" I was negatively biased toward "Feelin' It" and wouldn't even consider liking it ha. His next big single being "Sunshine" didn't help matters either.

So as the 90s went on I continued to kind of shun Jay's music for the most part because I considered him wack based on the above, but also because I was drawn more to Rawkus and their ilk at the time. It wasn't until Vol 3 and especially The Blueprint that I started to kinda jump on the bandwagon, Then I went back and revisited RD, Vol 1, etc. and have been on board ever since.

>When he dropped Reasonable Doubt, my boy was really into it.
>But I just couldn't see what the big deal was. It wasn't so
>much Jay as it is that my tastes are usually behind whatever
>the new trend is.
>
>I liked random songs of his over the years but it wasn't until
>the Black Album that his abilities really hit me. It didn't
>hurt that the production on that album was great too.
>
>I've gone back over his catalog over the years and it's clear
>how much of a talented rapper he is and how he was ahead of
>the curve in many respects with his flows and ability to weave
>street talk with introspective themes. I can now see that RD
>is a masterpiece and that my tastes were underdeveloped at
>that time.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 03:43 PM

8. "I'll never love Dec99."
In response to Reply # 0

I tried. I really did. It's just an irritating listen for me with very little redeemable value. (liked somewhat 2 songs) Now that you've brought it up, I'm bout ready to purge it from the iTunes.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 03:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. ":("
In response to Reply # 8

:(

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 08:21 AM

13. "its a creeper man"
In response to Reply # 8

dont give up!
check back in on it in a year

adg87
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
5301 posts
Wed Aug-01-18 03:43 PM

9. "Steel Pulse"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Aug-01-18 03:48 PM by adg87

Used to hate on them for some reason. Heard a few songs on Sirius, and have now needed to dive in. Very expansive catalog.

Nigga, if the shoe fits, then buy the matching purse!" Rass Kass

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:29 AM

15. "im not sure theres any artists that fit the question for me"
In response to Reply # 0

i cant think of any that consistently have a new sound that takes me a while to appreciate.

its been more so that a new artist comes out and it takes me a while to get it. it didnt click for me with dilla instantly. there were songs he produced that i enjoyed but i didnt necessarily love the beats at first. i dont remember what song it was that made it click. then i could go back and appreciate his sound.

same for the neptunes. when they first came out i was very against the sound until i heard a specific sound. dont remember what it was.

the only example i can think of for the question is the coup with sorry to bother you. when the album came out in 2012 i was kind of meh on it. ive kept some songs in rotation and i keep liking them more. i re-listened to their discography a couple of weeks ago and now i really like that album. im kind of meh on the soundtrack album right now. ive liked it more on repeat listens but i think i will find songs i do really like quickly and the rest are just not going to be my thing.

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 09:51 AM

16. "with you on this"
In response to Reply # 15

for me there are sometimes artists or albums i dont like - but when one song finally hits me, im able to use that song as a prism thru which to view the rest of the work, and then i "get it"

i didnt like Kendrick until I heard "Growing Apart {To Get Closer}", then i could easily dig most of his tracks up til then

i didn't fuck with 808s until I came around on "Street Lights", then the whole record clicked for me

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 12:42 PM

17. "kanye"
In response to Reply # 0

we won't be able to understand his genius for thousands of years. his album might sound like crap now, but the beings of planet earth will realize how amazing it is in the future.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 12:44 PM

18. "nope"
In response to Reply # 17

no

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 01:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "Haha I'm pretty certain he's making fun of someone else."
In response to Reply # 18

Someone actually said something similar to this in another post. This is a (only slightly) hyperbolic version of what the other dude said. I think. Hope.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 01:59 PM

20. "you are correct, but it's not directed at him personally"
In response to Reply # 19

he's not the only one I've seen say stuff like this when it comes to kanye.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Brew
24419 posts
Thu Aug-02-18 02:36 PM

21. "Haha true, it does seem to be a general sentiment."
In response to Reply # 20

theeraser
Member since Feb 11th 2007
7218 posts
Fri Aug-03-18 12:08 AM

23. "RZA."
In response to Reply # 0

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Fri Aug-03-18 02:49 PM

24. "Still can't get the Bobby Digital phase"
In response to Reply # 23

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

fontgangsta
5467 posts
Sat Aug-04-18 09:40 AM

25. "Did a photo shoot w him once"
In response to Reply # 24

The crew was me, a bunch of dudes, and one lady
When he gets there he goes down the line making introductions
Whatup I’m rza
Yo rza good to meet you
Whatup I’m rza
Yo I’m rza
*gets to lady*
Hey I’m Baaawbby 😉

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Aug-04-18 11:19 AM

26. "Ecstatic is my favorite Mos record since the first one "
In response to Reply # 0

>for me it's Mos
>I can't front, I have hated every record hes done
>post-BOBS...for like 1-2 years.
>then i give it anther chance and i just GET IT and i love it
>and I wear it out
>Im currently at the spot where i just started loving Dec99,
>which is what made me think of this - but it was the same for
>me with Danger, Magic and Ecstatic (tho if im being real im
>still a little iffy on ecstatic)
>