Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3007422

Subject: "I listened to "and the Anonymous Nobody", this weekend..twice" Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I listened to "and the Anonymous Nobody", this weekend..twice"

It had been more than a few months since I played it last. Still good. The second time I listened to it, on Sunday, I was downstairs in the man cave. Had it bumpin through the surround sound with the sub-woofer. My wife, who isn't into rap at all happened to come down right as "Memory of..." came on. She sat quietly and vibed out to it...when it went off she was like "hmmm...play that one, again". I love when I go back to an album after a minute and it still hits me. What's the last joint you experienced that with?

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
that album is great.
Jul 17th 2018
That happens all of the time.
Jul 17th 2018
Had a similar feel with Warren G's 2nd album ...
Jul 17th 2018
Also - def overdue for a Anonymous Nobody revisit.
Jul 17th 2018
That’s what happens when cats actually build a body of work.
Jul 17th 2018
the Coup discography (most of it, some of the side stuff) again this wee...
Jul 17th 2018
what side stuff?
Jul 24th 2018
Happens all the time now that I'm writing these anniversary tributes
Jul 17th 2018
At this point it's borderline necessary to listen to old ...
Jul 17th 2018
Remember back in the day a new album would be in your rotation for month...
Jul 24th 2018
      Hell yea.
Jul 24th 2018
Damn, you said Threat's "Sicknahead"
Jul 21st 2018
This happened just the other week
Jul 18th 2018
That album was always seen as MoT lite so I’m surprised that
Jul 18th 2018
      Zonin is so good
Jul 18th 2018
A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Jul 18th 2018
Yasiin Bey (Mos Def) - Auditorium
Jul 20th 2018
The Ecstatic is so dope
Jul 20th 2018
Auditorium is one of my favorite Mos songs.
Jul 20th 2018
Listen to it all the time. Dave aka Plug 2 absolutely rips it on this LP...
Jul 20th 2018
Dave has surged ahead imo
Jul 22nd 2018
Yea Pos is in my top 5 but Dave got him on this album big time.
Jul 23rd 2018
And it's the best...
Jul 22nd 2018
Smh, nah man.
Jul 22nd 2018
RE: Smh, nah man.
Jul 24th 2018
^^^hot take fail
Jul 22nd 2018
no way jose
Jul 22nd 2018
I’ve listened more to Anonymous
Jul 22nd 2018
me, too
Jul 24th 2018
Nah that Tribe album is an all-timer
Jul 24th 2018
Anonymous is Extremely dope
Jul 22nd 2018
I like them
Jul 23rd 2018
don't be like that lol
Jul 24th 2018
I think its stuff he won't play on LNWJF
Jul 24th 2018
Are there any De La/Roots songs in the vault that you or Pos have?
Jul 25th 2018
the coup pick a bigger weapon
Jul 24th 2018

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "that album is great."
In response to Reply # 0

last time it hit me was when i revisited talking book by stevie.
not that i really sleep on that joint but i prob haven't listened to it in about a year and i got goosebumps when i put it on. that man is a songwriting genius.

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

maro
Charter member

2. "That happens all of the time."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jul-17-18 11:48 AM by maro

too many albums I was obsessed with over the years.

One from the other day. Jazzmatazz vol 1.

"watch the closing doors" - my shit right there.

whole album is goodness, guru doing his thing, sounds like it could come out now and feel new. I forget how smooth it was.

i'm listening to Green Day at the moment, out of nowhere. Bringing me back to Dookie. Might be the only GD album I ever listened to...... and it was in 1993. Really solid album, it's no wonder they remained popular.

werd.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 12:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Had a similar feel with Warren G's 2nd album ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... which I listened to after seeing the Warren G post in here last week. It's imperfect but has some really, really great songs. And brings back some dope memories from when I was listening to it non-stop when it dropped in 7th grade. Big dose of nostalgia. Classic g-funk feel which is my favorite.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 03:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Also - def overdue for a Anonymous Nobody revisit."
In response to Reply # 3

Haven't listened front to back in a long while but there's a lot to love on that album.

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 12:42 PM

4. "That’s what happens when cats actually build a body of work. "
In response to Reply # 0

I’m stands the test of time. ATCQ has the props but De La has the most consistent creativity from a rap group.

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 03:37 PM

5. "the Coup discography (most of it, some of the side stuff) again this wee..."
In response to Reply # 0

also "Memory of..." is a great song. It hasn't left my rotation for the commute since it was released.

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 12:45 PM

31. "what side stuff?"
In response to Reply # 5

is there more besides street sweeper?

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44716 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 06:07 PM

7. "Happens all the time now that I'm writing these anniversary tributes"
In response to Reply # 0

So I listen to older stuff these days more than newer stuff anyway.

First time in the last few years that it really happened was Wyclef's "The Carnival." That is a really great and really creative album.

Off the top, the most recent time it's happened is with "Follow the Leader" and Threat's "Sicknahead."

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jul-17-18 08:39 PM

8. "At this point it's borderline necessary to listen to old ..."
In response to Reply # 7

... shit more than new. And I don't mean that in an "old man yells at cloud" way. I just mean that time is going by so fast I'm almost forgetting a lot of the albums I used to love.

It's funny because for a long time I felt like I spent *too* much time listening to the my favorite albums over and over and over again, so I had to kind of force myself to stop doing that and branch out more.

Now it's the opposite. I find myself rediscovering albums I loved and listened to regularly for YEARS that I haven't heard in 5 years or more. Life, man.

>So I listen to older stuff these days more than newer stuff
>anyway.
>
>First time in the last few years that it really happened was
>Wyclef's "The Carnival." That is a really great and really
>creative album.
>
>Off the top, the most recent time it's happened is with
>"Follow the Leader" and Threat's "Sicknahead."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 07:40 AM

27. "Remember back in the day a new album would be in your rotation for month..."
In response to Reply # 8

Like your rotation was mostly determined by what fit in your CD case in the car. I BOB and LWFC was in rotation for YEARS because of this.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Brew
24419 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 08:19 AM

28. "Hell yea."
In response to Reply # 27

Last time that happened for me was 2011, Quik's "Book of David"

Now "staying in rotation" just means I play it on Spotify more than twice. Haha. Generally I listen to an album once or twice, cherry pick songs I like, then add them to my ever-growing Spotify playlist and default back to throwing that playlist on shuffle.

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Sat Jul-21-18 09:05 PM

17. "Damn, you said Threat's "Sicknahead""
In response to Reply # 7

I haven't heard that album since the mid 90's. Me and my boy were the only ones that knew about that album back in high school. Mad slept on.

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8748 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 12:30 AM

9. "This happened just the other week"
In response to Reply # 0

Spotify started listing songs from Gangstarr's The Ownerz in My Daily Mix. That album never stood out to me when it dropped. I was probably wanting something like Moment of Truth and was disappointed by the quality.

While The Ownerz isn't as good as MOT, it's really good and some of the beatmaking techniques that Premier used grabbed me just listening recently in a way they didn't when listening to the songs as it dropped.

It's a shame that we won't get another Gangstarr album because it would have been interesting to see how Premier would have continued to evolve, but The Ownerz is a good way to bow out.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 07:46 AM

10. "That album was always seen as MoT lite so I’m surprised that"
In response to Reply # 9

You say you didn’t like it because you wanted it to be more like MoT.

The Ownerz is a good album and imo rightfully takes a little heat for trying to replicate MoT while not being as good.

Capture wasn’t as good as Militia
Guns wasn’t as good as BI vs Friends
Skills wasn’t as good as Steez
Rite Where You Stand wasn’t as good as Above the Clouds
Krumb’s feature wasn’t as potent (how could it be?)
Eulogy was In Memory Of 03
In This Life wasn’t as strong as Scandelous

I say all this while really liking every song I just mentioned from Ownerz. But they did come off in 03 as an attempt to capture the same magic on MoT.

Ownerz also has some other high points like Zonin’ and Peace of Mind.

So I completely see why in 03 the album seemed like, maybe not a disappointment but more run of the mill and how it would sound very good listening now.

Definitely a good way to go out considering no one knew that would be the last.

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 01:28 PM

12. "Zonin is so good"
In response to Reply # 10

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Jul-18-18 01:03 PM

11. "A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back"
In response to Reply # 0

A few months ago someone posted Fear of a Black Planet was better than Nations...and my knee jerk was that I agreed.

I listened to Nations on the way home from work yesterday and my God..that album is just relentless. I honestly forgot just how...errrrrAAHHHHH that album is. It had slipped out of my top 10, but yeah...it's back now and I don't see it ever leaving.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

EAS
Charter member
1702 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 12:59 AM

13. "Yasiin Bey (Mos Def) - Auditorium"
In response to Reply # 0

I admit, after BOBS, Yasiin lost me. I checked for stuff here and there but never really purchased an album. My wife purchased 'The Ecstatic' for me when it first came out but I didn't really check for anything other than 'History'. Some years later, I think this hotel in Vegas called the Cosmopolitan, used a song off the album in one of their commercials. I checked that but still didn't listen to the whole album.

Fast forward to last year, my wife and I flew out to New York to check for Dave Chappelle during his Radio City residency. Black Star was one of the acts performing. During their performance, 'Auditorium' starts playing. I remember not being familiar with the song but thinking it was hella dope and vibing out to it. And I liked the call and response aspect of it. The next thing I know, Yasiin points to the side of the stage and says 'Rick the Ruler....' and then Slick Rick comes out and does his part. I lose my shit. If I was familiar with the song, I shoulda expected it, but I wasn't so it shocked the shit out of me. A memory for the books for sure.

Fast forward again to this past week and I went to see Black Star perform at the Taste of Chicago. I heard 'Auditorium' again and flash backed to the summer of 2017. The song has been on repeat ever since. Oh, I listened to the whole album and it is nice. I am glad Black Star is out performing again.

'Auditorium' is a dope song. Dope beat and the chemistry of the 2 rappers is on point.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 05:28 AM

14. "The Ecstatic is so dope"
In response to Reply # 13

Brew
24419 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 08:19 AM

15. "Auditorium is one of my favorite Mos songs."
In response to Reply # 13

kelvinmercerlookalike
Member since Jan 08th 2006
6025 posts
Fri Jul-20-18 09:45 AM

16. "Listen to it all the time. Dave aka Plug 2 absolutely rips it on this LP..."
In response to Reply # 0

more so than Posdnous and he's one of my favorites.
In true De La fashion, I heard something I never caught before recently. Can't remember what right now 'cause I'm zooted.

>It had been more than a few months since I played it last.
>Still good. The second time I listened to it, on Sunday, I
>was downstairs in the man cave. Had it bumpin through the
>surround sound with the sub-woofer. My wife, who isn't into
>rap at all happened to come down right as "Memory of..." came
>on. She sat quietly and vibed out to it...when it went off
>she was like "hmmm...play that one, again". I love when I go
>back to an album after a minute and it still hits me. What's
>the last joint you experienced that with?

*CROCKER*

word booty.

HSUBAKCITS

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 05:39 PM

23. "Dave has surged ahead imo"
In response to Reply # 16

@GetoutTheroom
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
https://twitter.com/Jayric

Brew
24419 posts
Mon Jul-23-18 02:34 PM

26. "Yea Pos is in my top 5 but Dave got him on this album big time."
In response to Reply # 16

>more so than Posdnous and he's one of my favorites.
>In true De La fashion, I heard something I never caught before
>recently. Can't remember what right now 'cause I'm zooted.
>
>
>>It had been more than a few months since I played it last.
>>Still good. The second time I listened to it, on Sunday, I
>>was downstairs in the man cave. Had it bumpin through the
>>surround sound with the sub-woofer. My wife, who isn't into
>>rap at all happened to come down right as "Memory of..."
>came
>>on. She sat quietly and vibed out to it...when it went off
>>she was like "hmmm...play that one, again". I love when I
>go
>>back to an album after a minute and it still hits me.
>What's
>>the last joint you experienced that with?
>
>
>
>*CROCKER*
>
>word booty.
>
>HSUBAKCITS
>
>
>
>
>http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 02:11 PM

18. "And it's the best..."
In response to Reply # 0

Native Tongues release of that year...Peace!

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 03:49 PM

19. "Smh, nah man. "
In response to Reply # 18

Tribe all day. De La joint was fine but quite uneven and even had a few straight up throwaways.

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 12:53 PM

32. "RE: Smh, nah man. "
In response to Reply # 19

I enjoyed it more...the chemistry of Tribe just wasn't there in my opinion. Liked the Tribe joint, didn't love it...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 04:13 PM

20. "^^^hot take fail"

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 05:05 PM

21. "no way jose"

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 05:37 PM

22. "I’ve listened more to Anonymous"

@GetoutTheroom

Dstl1
Charter member
56227 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 12:21 PM

29. "me, too"
In response to Reply # 22

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 06:16 PM

35. "Nah that Tribe album is an all-timer"

They're in the rare space of Hip Hop groups with 4 transcendent albums. Nobody was a breathtaking album and I'm not taking anything away from it at all.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Roadblock
Charter member
7871 posts
Sun Jul-22-18 05:41 PM

24. "Anonymous is Extremely dope"
In response to Reply # 0

Hard to stop listening

@GetoutTheroom

Member since Mar 01st 2005
9915 posts
Mon Jul-23-18 01:39 PM

25. "I like them"
In response to Reply # 0

NO! LIST
Tom Petty
M J
Zeppelin
Springsteen
Neil Young
Eagles
Ray Charles
Madonna
Chuck Berry
South Park TV Songs
Justin Timberlake
"Food Glorious Food"
"Twilight Zone" theme
"A Boy Named Sue"
"Night Moves"
"The Situation"
"Superbowl Shuffle"

rl9
Charter member
4494 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 01:42 PM

33. "don't be like that lol"
In response to Reply # 25

Btw what exactly is the No! list? (don't remember it ever being discussed).

''i went from bashful to asshole to international''- CdoubleO

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 02:02 PM

34. "I think its stuff he won't play on LNWJF"
In response to Reply # 33

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

kelvinmercerlookalike
Member since Jan 08th 2006
6025 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 09:17 AM

36. "Are there any De La/Roots songs in the vault that you or Pos have?"
In response to Reply # 25

and why haven't we heard them yet?!

*CROCKER*

word booty.

HSUBAKCITS

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/chowyunskinny/Gold%20Chef/iron_chef.jpg

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 12:42 PM

30. "the coup pick a bigger weapon"
In response to Reply # 0

really liked it when it came out but i picked out my favorite songs and hardly revisit it. after watching sorry to bother you i re-listened to their whole catalog and this album hit just as hard if not more than when i first heard it.

love anonymous somebody but havent listened to it in full in a while. need to do that soon.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3007422 Previous topic | Next topic