Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3006363

Subject: "best place to find FULL (dilla) discography lists? " Previous topic | Next topic
SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Thu Jun-14-18 06:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"best place to find FULL (dilla) discography lists? "

was doing some hard drive cleaning & in my dilla folder there were tons of random albums i've bought, beat tapes i've downloaded, etc., but in my many nights of 2am donut eating, I've been all over the web reading about secret beat tapes, batches from different years, different aliases, etc.

but has there ever been a definitive list or timeline of dilla releases?

with all these "official"/retail posthumous releases (the diary, etc.), were those beats originally organized as a single batch or combined after the fact?

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
good question. i think if we all pulled together
Jun 18th 2018
I would definitely join in on the fight to unify it
Jun 18th 2018
Back in the day it was a chore just to get all the beat tapes...
Jun 18th 2018
Dilla/Madlib's online fanbase in downright toxic
Jun 18th 2018
RE: Back in the day it was a chore just to get all the beat tapes...
Jun 20th 2018
Yeah That's A Hard Task
Jun 21st 2018
it's so scattered now... prob be impossible to figure it all out...
Jun 21st 2018

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 01:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "good question. i think if we all pulled together"
In response to Reply # 0

we could figure one out
especially with questlove's (15) help
alas, it'll probably never happen
niggas wanna be secret squirrel and hold the exclusives dear, whether through selfishness, or legal reasons

and it would probably be such a daunting task, only the true fan or one who has enough time would attempt

i think all those people are gone from this board that could and would help

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 06:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I would definitely join in on the fight to unify it"
In response to Reply # 1

I tried hard to do so back in the 2010-2012 timeframe, but was always fighting an uphill battle against those who guarded their rare tapes and those who just couldn't keep the organization together.

I have a decent amount of knowledge about his work and would be willing to help fill any gaps that I can, but in the last few years I've just given up trying to have everything because it was so little reward for the work required.

ob1 kenobi
Member since Sep 11th 2003
4306 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 11:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Back in the day it was a chore just to get all the beat tapes..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jun-18-18 11:40 AM by ob1 kenobi

... people renaming them, making their own. Then there were a few that people had but held tight. A great task indeed.

"...You didn't do the knowledge what the God was manifestin'..."

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Mon Jun-18-18 06:10 PM

3. "Dilla/Madlib's online fanbase in downright toxic"
In response to Reply # 2

To the point of almost having spoiled the artists themselves.

When I got new shit, I was handing it out to ANYBODY who asked for them. They don't belong to me, why should I be in charge of who gets to hear them?

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Wed Jun-20-18 04:40 PM

5. "RE: Back in the day it was a chore just to get all the beat tapes..."
In response to Reply # 2

yea, that's the biggest problem for me - just figuring out what actually exists.

so many times I'd see something labeled a name that I've seen associated with dilla (either through interviews, forums, etc.) but it would be beats I had heard on other releases.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 02:52 AM

6. "Yeah That's A Hard Task "
In response to Reply # 0

Some of Dilla's close friends have the majority to all beat tapes & beat cds, & all the Slum stuff, then you have the ones he gave stuff to from time to time like certain artist he has worked with over the years, then you got the long time fans to the donut fans who, started to search for stuff when he started releasing the donut beat cds (I want to say only three volumes).

I know kats been making up names, some artists have recorded on some beats, some released on albums, while others didn't get released when DLS released "The Impossible" and Busta put out "Dillagence" that J was busy getting placement & paid, but not out in the public.

I remember back in 1997 when a co-worker let me hear a beat tape by Jay Dee and it was mad low, full of hiss, some beats were dope others were generic, I never made a copy of it cause I figured he would get a hold of a better sounding copy (which he never did), then years later I'm mad at myself for not making a copy, had some unreleased Phife & Slum songs on the b-side, didn't know who Slum Village was back then either, I thought they were Know Naim rapping (remember them).

Anyways around here kats were sharing a ton of beat cds thru slsk, I was still on dail-up, so going there was out of the question, even though I did find Q-Tip's 2nd & 3rd albums and download them took eight hours to download them shits, lol.

I remember T3, Illa J, & Houseshoes saying J-Dilla never named his beats on those beat cds so all these names people have for his joints are basically made up, except for ones that got released officially.

Anyway, I still do search for stuff, I got a few, always collected the vinyl & cds that came out retail, I think I stopped after Ma Dukes put that "Rebirth Of Detroit" so I haven't copped any of the Ma Dukes & Vintage Vibez Music Group releases at all.

I got all of Slum Village's releases up to "Manifesto" and even the J-88 stuff, I got "Remix EP", Frank N Dank's first two albums, I got J-Dilla's "Welcome 2 Detroit" & instrumentals, JayLib & instrumentals, "Ruff Draft", Instrumentals Vol. 1 (on Bling 47), "Vintage" (on Bling 47), "Donuts", "Shining", missing instrumentals of that one, "Jay Stay Paid", "Dillagence, "Dj Food Stamp: J-Dilla Blends", & "Yancey Boys", I use to have "Jay Loves Japan", MCA Album", & Phat Kat "Phat Kat Discography" but lost them when my old computer crashed.

Beat CDs I have downloaded: 64 Beats, Dillatronic (but at 128 kbps), What Up Doe Sessions, 1st Installment, 2nd Installment, MPC 3000 (some list it as "New Slave", Another Batch, Old Donuts (which I think is the first two volumes of the Donut beat cds), and Smell The Da.I.S.Y. Instrumentals.

I remember PBW said there was another beat cd that he did before he passed called "Pizza Man Tapes" but I don't think it's nothing new just the un-used beats from the 3 donuts beat cds, that maybe they had plans to release.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Jun-21-18 07:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "it's so scattered now... prob be impossible to figure it all out..."
In response to Reply # 0

...."officially" anyway ...so many of the tracks from beat tapes that got shared in the early 00's have make their way to various releases over the years, with varying levels of mastering, etc..

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Lobby The Lesson topic #3006363 Previous topic | Next topic