Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3005790

Subject: "Grammys define an 'album' as at least 5 tracks/15min" Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"Grammys define an 'album' as at least 5 tracks/15min"
Thu May-31-18 11:18 PM by maro

I heard Pusha tell the Breakfast Club crew that his album falls under Grammy rules. As well as the rest of Kanye's upcoming releases.

As well as the new thought album.

Are we about to see the EP resurgence?

werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I hope so..too much stuff is bloated these days
Jun 01st 2018
It's not just these days, it's been like this forever. It's just that no...
Jun 01st 2018
Artists would have to release multiple 'albums' or this variety
Jun 01st 2018

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Jun-01-18 07:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I hope so..too much stuff is bloated these days"
In response to Reply # 0

You can look at a 15 track album and write at least 4 jawns off from jump

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24411 posts
Fri Jun-01-18 08:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "It's not just these days, it's been like this forever. It's just that no..."
In response to Reply # 1

... *attention spans* are as short as ever, so albums tend to not have staying power if they extend past like 45 minutes or so (that's sort of an arbitrary number but an educated guess as to where the threshold may be for a lot of people).

I support the shorter album format, always have. A majority of my favorite albums are 13 songs or less, and well under an hour. The only risk being taken is if one of 7 songs is awful it could spoil it.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Numba_33
Charter member
19321 posts
Fri Jun-01-18 10:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Artists would have to release multiple 'albums' or this variety"
In response to Reply # 0

within the year for this to be sustainable, right? There can't be too many singles from an album for only 4-5 tracks and I don't see how you can reliably tour for an 'album' that's this short as well.

If artists release 2 or 3 of these albums within the year and each album is strong, then I'm all with it if this indeed becomes a trend.

I do wonder if artist that want to fulfill contracts with labels they don't care for will release 'albums' like this just to kill of their label obligations.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3005790 Previous topic | Next topic