Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3005176

Subject: "2 New Andre 3000 Tracks " Previous topic | Next topic
Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon May-14-18 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2 New Andre 3000 Tracks "
Mon May-14-18 05:34 PM by Anonymous

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-andre-3000-pay-tribute-to-late-mother-with-two-new-songs-w520250

(Bonus points to whoever read the title like 2 Dope Boyz In A Cadillac)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This would have broken The Lesson even five years ago
May 14th 2018
Me&My is alright
May 15th 2018
rap is boring to him, clearly.
May 15th 2018
I blame 3000 himself for the ho-hum response...
May 15th 2018
      It's the tracks too. 154 views and 4 replies before I replied here.
May 15th 2018
           i want to hear them but gotta save my data :|
May 15th 2018
glad to see him still sharing his creativity
May 15th 2018
at this point a 3000 album should come out in a bundle with act 2
May 15th 2018
If you preorder you can get a digital copy of a preview of Detox
May 15th 2018
the chords and melodies on Me&My are really nice
May 15th 2018
these are pretty unlistenable.
May 16th 2018
shame he isnt spitting.. such a talented MC
May 16th 2018
i liked them
May 17th 2018

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Mon May-14-18 11:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This would have broken The Lesson even five years ago"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not ragging on this place but the change in the culture of the board is interesting to notice.

I'm part of the problem too because I saw the links to this on 15's Twitter feed, clicked to listen and didn't think to post the link here or really to even listen.

Listening now tho. I'll be back after these songs are over.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Tue May-15-18 12:18 AM

2. "Me&My is alright"
In response to Reply # 1

It's a melancholy song which works well enough.

I didn't make it through the other song. With my attention span, I don't think I would sit through 17 minutes of Miles Davis backing Wu-Tang Clan spitting Triumph in my living room, much less for Dre and Blake noodling around.

But I wish there were still rap superproducers because he probably still has a great project in him and a producer who had a grand vision of music and a great sense of knowledge would help him. He's in such in dire need of inspiration / shaping that he likely wouldn't be able to pull that album out of himself.

Someone like ?uest or Pharrell or even Kanye would pull out a musical approach out of him that might reinvigorate him. Actually it would have to be someone younger, but to my knowledge young acts (outside of Kendrick and maybe Lupe) trying to be avantgarde anymore, like the Soulquarians or OutKast were back in the early part of the century.

Maybe I'm sad over nothing because while he seems bored to death, he's enjoying being a father and just living life in Manhattan.

Props to him.

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Tue May-15-18 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "rap is boring to him, clearly. "
In response to Reply # 2

if anything these songs, idiosyncratic and left-field as they may be, make me feel like 3K has as much creativity and inspiration as ever. what rapper is in their 40's and dares to share a song where they don't rap, but play the bass clarinet? or sing about burying their parents? I hope he does more of this, whatever it is.

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Tue May-15-18 11:24 AM

4. "I blame 3000 himself for the ho-hum response..."
In response to Reply # 1

He made himself a musical recluse. That's absolutely his prerogative. he's hot classics under his belt. He can chill if he wants.

But he can't have it both ways. He can't expect folks to be excited. We've been clamoring for more 3000 for over a decade now. AT this point, we've accepted that he's not coming back & we've moved on.

Full disclosure...I haven't listened to the songs yet. My post isn't any type of commentary on whether they're good or not. Just a thought about how Andre is/has been/will be received by the hip-hop faithful.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14015 posts
Tue May-15-18 11:39 AM

5. "It's the tracks too. 154 views and 4 replies before I replied here."
In response to Reply # 4

So people obviously wanted to hear these.
They're just not what people were hoping for.
Although I think Me & My is ok.
I mean... I'm commenting more on your comment than the song tho lol.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Tue May-15-18 12:30 PM

6. "i want to hear them but gotta save my data :|"
In response to Reply # 5

gotta remember to check them out when i get home on wifi

based on comments in GD i may enjoy them. i like most of what andre has done, even when there is no rapping.

i will post my thoughts once i hear them. if there was proper push on youtube i probably would had heard them already.

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Tue May-15-18 02:31 PM

7. "glad to see him still sharing his creativity"
In response to Reply # 0

granted, I'm not as big a fan of this as his hip-hop stuff (I just don't think he's as good a singer/musician as he is an mc) but the fact that he's still sharing this is making me think a lot about the nature of the artist/fan relationship.

I'm sure there are plenty of artists who still create music/art but aren't sharing it with folks.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Tue May-15-18 04:26 PM

8. "at this point a 3000 album should come out in a bundle with act 2"
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Tue May-15-18 08:07 PM

9. "If you preorder you can get a digital copy of a preview of Detox "
In response to Reply # 8

n/m

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Tue May-15-18 08:10 PM

10. "the chords and melodies on Me&My are really nice"
In response to Reply # 0

but i can't see the vocals working for me...

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Wed May-16-18 10:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "these are pretty unlistenable."
In response to Reply # 0

he can make whatever he wants, but he's gonna have a hard time finding an audience for this type of music. it just doesn't sound good, regardless of the musicality.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed May-16-18 10:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "shame he isnt spitting.. such a talented MC"
In response to Reply # 0

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Thu May-17-18 09:44 AM

13. "i liked them"
In response to Reply # 0

me & my i would put on rotation. look ma no hands was cool to listen to but 17 minutes?? probably wont come back to it.

im glad hes sharing his work and i hope he continues to do so.

i get why people wanting him to rap aren't happy but i enjoyed the tracks.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3005176 Previous topic | Next topic