Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3004703

Subject: "artists who lost your attention" Previous topic | Next topic
SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 06:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"artists who lost your attention"

Saw that Blu & Nottz released the Titans in The Flesh project & had me thinking - at one point Blu was my favorite mc out & i was downloading/buying everything I could get my hands on....& now, not so much. yea he has stuff I like when I listen but seeing he's dropping something (or actively searching for new stuff) isn't high on my priority list for artists.

same thing's happened with folks like kweli, jeezy, TI, common, etc.

Sometimes I think it's because these artists put out a dud or two, sometimes I think it's just artists who've been around for so long you stop keeping up the same.

who are some folks like this for yall? maybe you really liked them at one point but now, they've sort of faded to the background for you.

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
All of the rappers
Apr 30th 2018
basically. n/m
Apr 30th 2018
Along with these r&b singers too
May 01st 2018
pretty much.
May 01st 2018
Blu for me too
Apr 30th 2018
Listening to PE is just painful now.
May 01st 2018
RE: Blu for me too
May 05th 2018
      I think Canal Street Confidential was the last one I heard
May 05th 2018
RE: artists who lost your attention
Apr 30th 2018
These days, the question is more like which artists do hold my attention
Apr 30th 2018
Phil Ade
May 01st 2018
Cee-Lo, after all the side projects.
May 01st 2018
90% of the rappers i used to love really
May 01st 2018
They’re not even making good music...
May 01st 2018
I think this is also related
May 01st 2018
Yea this is personally my biggest obstacle.
May 01st 2018
My feelings are the same
May 01st 2018
      Likewise re: the feeling you get when you get CDs.
May 01st 2018
           It was a physical act and sometimes a mission. Now it's one click away
May 02nd 2018
                the mission, yep.
May 02nd 2018
                     Agree with you both ! The anticipation for sure.
May 02nd 2018
                          Yep. It's also the investment. Back in the day, I'd spend $15
May 02nd 2018
                               100%.
May 02nd 2018
                                    I get this is an issue but...
May 02nd 2018
                                         At this point we’re pretty much addicted to our short attention
May 02nd 2018
                                         I agree but...
May 06th 2018
Maybe... maybe not
May 06th 2018
the roots
May 01st 2018
agreed
May 10th 2018
J*Davey and Fiona Apple
May 02nd 2018
Wooow. i forgot J*Davey existed
May 06th 2018
RE: Wooow. i forgot J*Davey existed
May 14th 2018
Uhhh..... Fiona's last album
May 19th 2018
It's Too Many To Name
May 06th 2018
RE: It's Too Many To Name
May 07th 2018
Blu's double album "Good To Be Home" is dope as fck
May 07th 2018
May 14th 2018
May 18th 2018
Snoop is another one
May 19th 2018
Snoop's problem has always been quality control.
May 20th 2018

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 06:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "All of the rappers"
In response to Reply # 0

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 06:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "basically. n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

hip bopper
7385 posts
Tue May-01-18 07:15 AM

9. "Along with these r&b singers too"
In response to Reply # 4

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "pretty much."
In response to Reply # 1

I'll still check for Phonte and Kweli, but unless something jumps out at me? I don't go looking for it.

Back again for the first time.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18638 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 06:53 PM

2. "Blu for me too"
In response to Reply # 0

I think the last verse I heard from him was on The Roots -How I Got Over album. And I loved that verse and was a fan of his. Can’t remember why I lost interest.

Curren$y is one I just couldn’t keep up with the sheer amount of music he was putting out. I tried for awhile, but got behind and gave up. Gotta go back to him though.

Older artists like KRS, Public Enemy, Ice Cube...it just became too long since I heard a good album from them.

Shogun
Member since Jun 25th 2003
3042 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Listening to PE is just painful now."
In response to Reply # 2

>Older artists like KRS, Public Enemy, Ice Cube...it just
>became too long since I heard a good album from them.

PE is my all-time favorite group, and I can barely get through a PE album these days.

Back again for the first time.

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sat May-05-18 06:02 PM

26. "RE: Blu for me too"
In response to Reply # 2

>Curren$y is one I just couldn’t keep up with the sheer
>amount of music he was putting out. I tried for awhile, but
>got behind and gave up. Gotta go back to him though.
>

Same here. I'm just now getting around to Cathedral Music and 11/30

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

DJR
18638 posts
Sat May-05-18 07:59 PM

27. "I think Canal Street Confidential was the last one I heard"
In response to Reply # 26

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 06:57 PM

3. "RE: artists who lost your attention"
In response to Reply # 0

J-Live....guy is still got it lyrically, just something about his new(er) ish that has me thinking he has regressed. His self-production has always been people's complaint, but I actually dug a lot of his self produced cuts...anyway, he is the first to come to mind...damn that "All of The Above" album was slick...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8750 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 08:05 PM

5. "These days, the question is more like which artists do hold my attention"
In response to Reply # 0

Whether it was PE or KRS or The Chemical Brothers or Redman or Pharaohe Monch or Talib or Mos or even Nas and Jay, I'm a 'I'll get around to it' in terms of my drive to listen to new music from those artists.

The only groups on my 'I will buy your record immediately' is Kendrick and The Roots. Even Radiohead, a group I was REALLY into back in the earlier part of this century, is a group that I'm not as interested in, even though the quality of their music hasn't dipped over the years.

Between the deluge of access to music of the past that I've never listened to splitting my attention to those artists I used to Stan over to my listening preference to listen to albums from artists I like after their initial run, it's hard for me to maintain focus on new releases.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Tue May-01-18 12:00 AM

6. "Phil Ade"
In response to Reply # 0

listened to that Roses tape back in '13, still follow dude on Instagram but I just stopped paying attention

thought dude was pretty good but he never really popped up anywhere, don't even recall seeing him on any of the radio shows

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Tue May-01-18 01:07 AM

7. "Cee-Lo, after all the side projects."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm ready for Killer Mike to get off the side project train, too, but I understand he's caking off of it.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Hellyeah
Member since Jul 05th 2008
6507 posts
Tue May-01-18 05:35 AM

8. "90% of the rappers i used to love really"
In response to Reply # 0

maybe i'm outgrowing rap in general but i'm not hearing any timeless music coming out from them anymore

hip bopper
7385 posts
Tue May-01-18 07:20 AM

10. "They’re not even making good music..."
In response to Reply # 8

let alone timeless music!!!!

I don’t think it’s a matter that outgrowing the culture. The stuff sounds so bad that it turns you off completely from it.

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "I think this is also related"
In response to Reply # 0

to the sheer amount of music available. its easy to get anything. no wait times. no unveilings. no mystery.

along with that, so many new artists to get around to, if possible.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:56 AM

15. "Yea this is personally my biggest obstacle."
In response to Reply # 13

I'm so overwhelmed I just kind of give up half the time haha. I delayed getting a Spotify account until like 2013 for this exact reason. It allowed me to limit my consumption to only those artists/albums I anticipated most.

Once I got Spotify I noticed that the albums I truly enjoyed have been few and far between. Kind of sad really. I think age plays into it as well but there is a pretty clear correlation between my enjoyment of albums and when I got my Spotify premium account. Nowadays I save a bunch of albums, get overwhelmed, put off listening to any of them ... then bulk-listen to a bunch of them over the course of like a week and fully digest very few of them.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

obsidianchrysalis
8750 posts
Tue May-01-18 05:38 PM

16. "My feelings are the same"
In response to Reply # 15

Granted there haven't been a lot of major releases that have caught my eye and I'm now 41 rather than 21 or even 31 so popular music just doesn't reflect my lifestyle.

But the last albums I've bought were the Tribe album, 4:44, and DAMN. and those albums were bought some time after the week they were released. Ten years ago, I didn't have a lot of money either to spend on music but I at least would buy CD's more often.

If I were 21 I'd have a better feel on how to integrate my listening patterns into this new phase of music technology and avoid lulls in exploring music. But it's rare when I explore new music even though there are some great artists out there, even if they're not necessarily hip-hop.

For some reason buying MP3's didn't really kill my interest in music but streaming has deadened my joy of music. I'm not a behavioral economist so I have no idea why streaming is so much different from purchasing music. Even when I buy music that I've heard from streaming, I get a 'jolt' when the CD arrives in the mail.

Maybe the CD is like a Pavlovian bell or something?

Brew
24419 posts
Tue May-01-18 08:37 PM

17. "Likewise re: the feeling you get when you get CDs."
In response to Reply # 16

>For some reason buying MP3's didn't really kill my interest in
>music but streaming has deadened my joy of music. I'm not a
>behavioral economist so I have no idea why streaming is so
>much different from purchasing music. Even when I buy music
>that I've heard from streaming, I get a 'jolt' when the CD
>arrives in the mail.
>
>Maybe the CD is like a Pavlovian bell or something?

^^^^ 100%. Ripping the plastic off, feeling the book in my hand, reading liner notes while taking in the music ... I miss that shit. The ability to read along with who contributed to every song as I'm listening to it (or in the case of The Roots and others, reading entire stories behind the making of said songs), etc. etc. etc.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Wed May-02-18 10:31 AM

18. "It was a physical act and sometimes a mission. Now it's one click away"
In response to Reply # 17

Having to take the bus to the store in HS, then driving
Reading the rags and watching the video shows
listening to mixshows and late night college radio (1-4 am)
for the longest time Hip Hop was night music only in fact
trading mixtapes like baseball cards (I got the new Tony Touch, you got Clue springtime stickup?)
the pilgrimage to Fat Beats and navigating the struggle rappers outside
vinyl crates, CD booklets, and shoeboxes full of tapes

The internet got rid of all of that

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Wed May-02-18 12:38 PM

19. "the mission, yep."
In response to Reply # 18

its was a whole process of getting to the store to get the latest. you got 20 bucks and you gonna spend 15 on that new new. but you gotta get there on by 3 buses and 2 trains.

not to mention just having to wait til tuesday to get the new music. whole weekend stewing and looking at the source for mics. lol

the anticipation builds. you haven't heard anything except the radio single and the reviews weren't at every turn. you welcomed the SURPRISE!

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
24419 posts
Wed May-02-18 12:52 PM

20. "Agree with you both ! The anticipation for sure."
In response to Reply # 19

You said just waiting til Tuesday. Additionally, albums were announced in say, February, for like May releases ! So you'd already have the anticipation from just the album release date. Then a single would drop. Then a video for that single. Then maybe another single. THEN the album would drop. So it was just a full on build-up, sometimes for months on end.

Now albums drop at like midnight, surprisingly, and you click and open the next morning. Not saying there isn't any thrill in that, to be sure .. just saying it's not quite the same IMO.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Wed May-02-18 01:16 PM

21. "Yep. It's also the investment. Back in the day, I'd spend $15"
In response to Reply # 20

on a physical CD, so I wasn't gonna be quick to turn it off. I also had way less albums at my disposal to listen to. So when I spent my hard earned money on a new CD, I'd spend a couple weeks listening to nothing but that. And often, the tracks I didn't like at first would grow on me and end up becoming my favorites on those albums.

Now with streaming services, I NEVER give tracks time to grow on me. And in the end, even though I have infinitely more music at my disposal, I listen to less of it because I'm tired of the couple tracks that caught my ear immediately.

Brew
24419 posts
Wed May-02-18 01:39 PM

22. "100%. "
In response to Reply # 21

>on a physical CD, so I wasn't gonna be quick to turn it off.
>I also had way less albums at my disposal to listen to. So
>when I spent my hard earned money on a new CD, I'd spend a
>couple weeks listening to nothing but that. And often, the
>tracks I didn't like at first would grow on me and end up
>becoming my favorites on those albums.

Facts. You nailed it. The anticipation, the investment ... if something didn't grab me immediately, that was OK. I only had a few albums to listen to so I'd give it time to grow.

>Now with streaming services, I NEVER give tracks time to grow
>on me. And in the end, even though I have infinitely more
>music at my disposal, I listen to less of it because I'm tired
>of the couple tracks that caught my ear immediately.

With you here a trillion percent. I'll listen to an album, pull the 2-3 songs I like and add them to a playlist, and move on. There are few exceptions to this in recent years.

It really sucks.

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1813 posts
Wed May-02-18 03:44 PM

24. "I get this is an issue but..."
In response to Reply # 22

Isn't it kinda easy to solve by just...not doing that. Know one is physically stopping you from listening to and album for a longer period of time, or giving a song a few more spins before you move on.

I get that we have lost some traditions but I feel like, just make new traditions.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Wed May-02-18 08:39 PM

25. "At this point we’re pretty much addicted to our short attention "
In response to Reply # 24

spans. It’s hard to slow down and listen to one album over and over again when there are infinite options. It’s the same reason why people scroll IG timelines for hours - there’s always more pics to load and there’s always more songs to listen to.

So yeah - there’s times when I am VERY deliberate about soaking in an album. But if it doesn’t grab me after a few tracks it’s so hard to keep listening. And even if I to listen to the whole album I’m not the going back listening to it again and again until random deep cuts become my favorites.

The world is just different. I remember the year I graduated high school I had an internship that summer before I started college (1997) and it was chill data entry work. I’d bring my Sony Discman to that internship everyday, and I only had two albums with me because I’d forgotten my CD case at my parents house. I bought Life After Death and Wu-Tang Forever from Tower Records on campus. That entire summer I listened to nothing but those two albums, every day, all day. Never got tired of them. To this day if I hear any track from those I’m instantly taken back to sitting at that computer desk as an intern about to start college. There’s no way I’m investing that much in individual albums these days.

obsidianchrysalis
8750 posts
Sun May-06-18 07:03 PM

30. "I agree but..."
In response to Reply # 24

You seem to be flexible with your music listening patterns, which I applaud. I wish I were there myself.

But my problem is that between the shift in music technology, and my steady aging / maturing out of popular music culture, the energy needed to shift my listening process isn't strong enough to overcome inertia.

I pine for the old days, and like the posters have said, the modern way is just different for both good and bad reasons. Things aren't the same now because they *can't* be the same.

But the truth, for me at least, is that music doesn't hold the prominence in my sense of enrichment as it did. And either because of age or change in values, I don't care enough to change.

hip bopper
7385 posts
Sun May-06-18 11:25 AM

28. "Maybe... maybe not"
In response to Reply # 13

>to the sheer amount of music available. its easy to get
>anything. no wait times. no unveilings. no mystery.
>
>along with that, so many new artists to get around to, if
>possible.

I believe that rap and rock have been affected the most by this, and other genres not so much.

I have not held the belief that the internet was the cause of this. When I listened to rap on a regular basis I was able to get a lot of music early on artists that I listened to. To me the easier that you make your music available the better off you were in terms of getting your name, music, etc. It just made you anticipate the release more.

I listen to jazz and blues mostly. There are no early releases and things appear to be kept under wraps with these genres. Even soul music is not on a grand scale is kept under wraps also. I hope that in the future jazz artists will release some of their material early before the release.

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue May-01-18 09:36 AM

14. "the roots"
In response to Reply # 0

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu May-10-18 03:57 PM

34. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 14

they not hittin no more. haven't been for years.

-------------------------
�Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.�-- Warren Coolidge

Teknontheou
Charter member
32709 posts
Wed May-02-18 01:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "J*Davey and Fiona Apple"
In response to Reply # 0

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Sun May-06-18 12:19 PM

29. "Wooow. i forgot J*Davey existed"
In response to Reply # 23

used to be a day that wouldn't go by where they weren't mentioned somewhere on the boards

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Mon May-14-18 02:18 PM

35. "RE: Wooow. i forgot J*Davey existed"
In response to Reply # 29

I'm pretty sure J*Davey broke up. See this post from earlier this year:
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=3002105&mesg_id=3002105&listing_type=search

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

BSharp
Charter member
9243 posts
Sat May-19-18 03:30 AM

38. "Uhhh..... Fiona's last album"
In response to Reply # 23

...was her best.

Which is an incredible feat considering how untouchable I thought "When the Pawn..." was.

Suit yourself, but I couldn't be more excited for whatever she decides to drop next. Or if she never records again? I'm good, too. She's fulfilled her obligation as an all-time great.

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Sun May-06-18 08:33 PM

31. "It's Too Many To Name"
In response to Reply # 0

It's not the fact that I don't listen to rap as much as I use to, I still do but I listen to a lot of older stuff the majority of the time, most of the new stuff isn't as good or try to pander to the new trap sound too much even when the artist isn't a trap artist or doing it, they still seem to try to get one almost trap song in.

Since Premier doesn't put out material on vinyl anymore, I stopped trying to buy & listen to any of the artists he produce for, I know he got the Phryme album with Royce but Royce is another artist I basically stopped listening to as well, yeah he's dope but him making a solid album isn't going to happen, dope songs yeah he makes them but sometimes he just seems to have one style and after hearing 100 songs of him trying to make a great album I've given up.

Common, I gave up on, I like him, but if he ain't doing another "Resurrection" or "LWFC" or "Electric Circus" then no thank you, don't need or want to hear a "Be" album or No I.D.'s new watered down sound.

Any Wu-Tang artist or Wu-Affilated artist, I've given up on trying to sit down and make myself like an album by any Wu-artist, I know if Method Man dropped a new album I'll probably listen to it, but Rae, Ghost, Masta Killa, Timbo King, Hell Razah, Killah Priest, GZA release an album, I'm not listening to it.

Madlib side projects, I'm starting to really get tired of his collaboration albums, if it's him or Quasimoto doing hip-hop I'll check it out but his jazz albums I'm not even going to think about copping, unless Lootpack gets back together, then & only then I'll peep it.

Nas, if the album doesn't have any of the following artists on it, then I'm not checking for it: Premier, Large Professor, AZ, Havoc, Akinyele, Alchemist, Noreaga, etc. then nope, don't give a fuck for those lame JayZ & J. Cole features.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

spidey
Charter member
13125 posts
Mon May-07-18 09:34 AM

32. "RE: It's Too Many To Name"
In response to Reply # 31

Sad but that is just about where I'm at too....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Ill Jux
Member since Jan 19th 2007
14705 posts
Mon May-07-18 10:10 AM

33. "Blu's double album "Good To Be Home" is dope as fck"
In response to Reply # 0

hope yall didn't miss that album.

______

in the memory of NYC upt JUX�

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon May-14-18 05:01 PM

36. "RE: artists who lost your attention"
In response to Reply # 0

Bloc Party
The Underachievers
Main Attrakionz
Gnarls Barkley/CeeLo Green/Dangermouse

SsenepoD
Member since Nov 13th 2007
4331 posts
Fri May-18-18 05:42 PM

37. "RE: artists who lost your attention"
In response to Reply # 36

def hear you on ceelo & dangermouse....they had a run where I was listening to EVERYTHING they did. at this point, I can't remember the last new thing I actively listened to from either. That ceelo Fuck You song?

http://www.2amDonuts.bandcamp.com

DJR
18638 posts
Sat May-19-18 11:22 AM

39. "Snoop is another one"
In response to Reply # 0

Other than “Bush” which was really good, I haven’t listened to a Snoop album since Blue Carpet Treatment...which was also good.

Not sure why. I just got bored of listening to him rap, for some reason.

Brew
24419 posts
Sun May-20-18 04:42 PM

40. "Snoop's problem has always been quality control."
In response to Reply # 39

That's why Bush was so good. It was focused and the fat was trimmed. Blue Carpet Treatment was probably the last time he had that similar kind of focus, even tho BCT is longer than Bush.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3004703 Previous topic | Next topic