Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3004284

Subject: "Twenty Years Later: On Massive Attack and Mezzanine (The Paris Review)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Twenty Years Later: On Massive Attack and Mezzanine (The Paris Review)"

In 1998, when I was a writer for Vibe magazine (which was the leading black culture journal), I went to London to interview the trip-hop kings Massive Attack. They were preparing to release their third album, the beautifully complex and brooding Mezzanine. Although they collaborated with other singers and musicians, the core Massive trio consisted of Grant “Daddy G” Marshall, Andy “Mushroom” Vowles, and Robert “3D” Del Naja. Del Naja penned most of the Dadaistic lyrics on Mezzanine and thought of its title.

As a pop journalist, I had already covered their contemporaries Portishead and Tricky, so of course I felt it was my duty and destiny to fly to London to cover Mezannine. I had to beg the cornball editor in chief to send me, and in the end, the story was never published. But I never forgot the experience of sitting with Massive, trying to refrain from being too much of a fanboy. The year before, when I’d visited Paris, I’d taken Blue Lines along to serve as my soundtrack of the city. Me and my beautiful homegirl Wendy Washington rode out to the Palace of Versailles as Massive’s remake of the soul classic “Be Thankful for What You Got” blared from the speakers.

“Mezzanine is that place in between, when you’re not sure if it’s yesterday or today,” Del Naja told me at Olympic Studios in London. “That little space where it’s quite scary and erotic.” Also known as an excellent graffitist and painter (inspired by Jean-Michel Basquiat) and rumored to be the mysterious street artist Banksy (a claim he denied), Del Naja had seemingly become the leader of the group. He was its resident auteur, and his Francis Bacon view of the world was visible in the band’s videos, album designs, and stage lighting.

The band first came together in their hometown of Bristol. Though Del Naja was shorter than the lanky Daddy G or the equally tall Mushroom, who were both somewhat reserved, his presence towered over the group, and it caused an earthquake break between the brotherhood. “When we got together to record, we realized the amount of creative friction between us,” Mushroom would confess later. “In fact, we wound up recording in separate studios.” The producer Neil Davidge later described the process as “messy,” but from that angst, tension, and messiness, Massive Attack delivered a masterpiece.

https://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2018/04/20/twenty-years-later-on-massive-attack-and-mezzanine

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Man I remember when angel was in EVERY trailer
Apr 20th 2018
LOVE this album!
Apr 20th 2018
I worked at a record store when it dropped and we each got a turn
Apr 20th 2018
i wore this album out many times
Apr 20th 2018

Madvillain 626
Member since Apr 25th 2006
10018 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 11:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Man I remember when angel was in EVERY trailer "
In response to Reply # 0

Teardrop still one of my favorite songs ever. Pure beauty.

-------------------------------
If life is stupendous one cannot also demand that it should be easy. - Robert Musil

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 12:25 PM

2. "LOVE this album!"
In response to Reply # 0

I never get tired of spinning this. All killer, no filler.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 02:27 PM

3. "I worked at a record store when it dropped and we each got a turn"
In response to Reply # 0

to play whatever album (5 of us)
I just played Mezzanine for about 3 weeks straight
til the manager pulled me aside "you know there's other records you can play"
me: why?

So wait, Vibe flew you out, paid for everything and didn't run the story? WTF?

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 10:45 PM

4. "i wore this album out many times"
In response to Reply # 0

hard to pick favs among the first 3 MA releases but Mezzanine resonated the most for me, kinda helped expand my rock palette a bit too in a roundabout way.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Lobby The Lesson topic #3004284 Previous topic | Next topic