Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3004282

Subject: "J. Cole - KOD (Album Discussion)" Previous topic | Next topic
wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 10:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"J. Cole - KOD (Album Discussion)"

dropped at midnight - thoughts?

on first listen, I hear a LOT of Kendrick influence in this. It starts to sound a bit more like Cole's traditional sound towards the latter half of the album

i have mixed feelings and will need to re-listen to form a full opinion (just heard it once on the drive to work this morning)

final track, "1985" is gonna have a lot of SoundCloud rappers mad though lol

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The Tim Duncan of Rap returns.
Apr 20th 2018
boring and safe? agreed
Apr 20th 2018
lol
Apr 21st 2018
lofl
Apr 21st 2018
RE: The Tim Duncan of Rap returns.
Apr 21st 2018
accurate.
Apr 22nd 2018
except Tim is a hall of famer.
Apr 22nd 2018
streak continues
Apr 21st 2018
6/10
Apr 21st 2018
I’m confused...explain these two statements
Apr 21st 2018
I enjoyed it more than I thought I would
Apr 22nd 2018
If you fall asleep listening to JCole or any other rapper
Apr 22nd 2018
It's a lazy critique.
Apr 22nd 2018
      Same critique, but better wording
Apr 29th 2018
I fux with it
Apr 22nd 2018
I don't like Cole.
Apr 28th 2018
Another good one from Cole
Apr 30th 2018
Never copped or listen to a J. Cole album
May 04th 2018
i liked this
May 11th 2018

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 01:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "The Tim Duncan of Rap returns."
In response to Reply # 0

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Apr-20-18 01:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "boring and safe? agreed"
In response to Reply # 1

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 09:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "lol"
In response to Reply # 1

>

FUCK DONALD TRUMP

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 08:04 PM

7. "lofl"
In response to Reply # 1

spidey
Charter member
13121 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 09:14 PM

8. "RE: The Tim Duncan of Rap returns."
In response to Reply # 1

Unfair to Timmy...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 02:14 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "accurate."
In response to Reply # 1

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 11:26 AM

13. "except Tim is a hall of famer."
In response to Reply # 1

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 02:04 AM

3. "streak continues"
In response to Reply # 0

i still have yet to make it through an album of his without quite literally falling asleep.

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 10:24 AM

5. "6/10"
In response to Reply # 0

I got beef with secondhand stories or opinions on a situation the artist might not have actually experienced, but he got some hype tracks and some boring ones.

One thing I think a lot might notice is the ending, kind of felt too short or like it just dropped off.

And that new video really reminds me of Kendrick with "dick aint free"

It is a pickup compared to 4 youre eyez only, that ish was really personal.

6/10, nice beats, lyrics kind of hammy but current and topical, still a little sleepy though.

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 02:08 PM

6. "I’m confused...explain these two statements "
In response to Reply # 5

>I got beef with secondhand stories or opinions on a situation
>the artist might not have actually experienced,

Why is this an issue? Artists do it all the time, including everyone’s hero Kendrick.

>
>It is a pickup compared to 4 youre eyez only, that ish was
>really personal.
>

So you don’t like when he tells stories from other perspectives or his own?

And let me state for the record, I’m not a Cole fan and have never heard an entire album.

Your criticism just seems weird as hell to me

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 02:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "I enjoyed it more than I thought I would"
In response to Reply # 0

I've never been a huge Cole fan, for the "usual" reasons. In fact, about the only album I'd liked of his before this was "2014 Forest Hills." But, that being said, I found myself enjoying this one on first listen. The lyrics are pretty good. Musically, I'd say it borders on under-produced, but most of the time the bare bones aesthetic works.

So I'm pleasantly surprised here. I don't think he's the greatest MC ever or even of his "generation," but this is still a quite good album.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79560 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 08:23 AM

11. "If you fall asleep listening to JCole or any other rapper"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-22-18 08:23 AM by legsdiamond

you prolly have a medical condition.

Worst criticism of an artist in the history of rap. Just don’t listen instead of lying about trying and dozing off. It’s kike crying Jordan face. It was funny at first but now folks just trolling his releases with that dumb ass fake criticism.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 04:46 PM

14. "It's a lazy critique."
In response to Reply # 11
Sun Apr-22-18 04:47 PM by squeeg

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who find J. Cole boring, but I'm just as sure there are plenty more who are simply parroting everyone else. "J. Cole is boring" is as much of a meme as "Platinum with no features."

Own No Loops: A podcast about rap.
http://ownnoloops.com

http://twitter.com/urkelmoedee

C. Thelonius
Member since Mar 14th 2008
825 posts
Sun Apr-29-18 11:11 PM

16. "Same critique, but better wording"
In response to Reply # 14

https://twitter.com/DavidDTSS/status/987320274654777344

"so when you write you have to decide if what you're doing is worth writing. relatable isn't always interesting or worth writing about. we all wipe our ass, but who wants to read an article about it?

J Cole has a problem deciphering between relatable and interesting."

"mans got a song about scrolling thru pics on IG and paying taxes. Relatable, yes, in the way that we do in fact all do those things. Interesting? No."

The songs of J. Cole I've listened to I like, but his albums never grab me. This echoes my thoughts to a T.

#NP: Janelle Monae-DC, Pusha T-Daytona, Royce-Book of Ryan, Blue Note All-Stars-OPOV, Chris Dave/Drumhedz-Glow, Conway-GOAT, Black Milk-Fever, KRIT-4eva Is a Mighty.., Phonte-NNIGN, August Greene, Jericho Jackson
@LargesseMorlu

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Apr-22-18 09:58 AM

12. "I fux with it"
In response to Reply # 0

Def a step up from his previous album. Production is on point and Cole is a dope emcee. Dude just needs to stop tryna harmonize. Not his lane. I know he wants to go platinum with no features but get Miguel or somebody to sing those parts.

fav tracks: Photograph, The Cut Off, ATM, Brackets, Friends, 1985

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sat Apr-28-18 09:09 PM

15. "I don't like Cole."
In response to Reply # 0

His production always sounds flat to me.

Conceptually, I've been waiting for someone to tackle this.
I actually think Cole is a good choice for trying to
speak on the state of hip hop.
He's popular enough, he used to write dope enough.
I haven't really liked much from him since the first couple mix tapes.
I liked the false prophets song - it's maybe even more relevant today considering what Ye is currently doing.

But the execution was kinda triddash to me.
Relied heavily on freaking the flows but they miss most of time
for me.

He's got a couple cool concepts:
Once an addict - can relate, but doesn't wow me lyrically.
Last verse on Motivate is okay.
Brackets could be a better song if the lyrics were better.

I don't find him to be an elite emcee like a lot of people do.

Maybe if he worked with other producers, we could get a
different Cole in terms of how he attacked the beat.
Safe to assume this is why some of my favorite performances by Cole are features on other cats songs IE that old Wale joint.
The above mentioned early career mix tapes.

I read recently somewhere that Cole has an issue with deciphering between relatable and interesting.

I think that's really accurate. There's a reason I connect with Wu, Prodigy, Outkast, Beanie Sigel, UGK, and countless others more than Cole when have almost no business connecting to them say more than Cole. But I find all of those artists
infinitely more interesting which makes me decipher and think about their lyrics on 2nd and 3rd levels where I find something I relate to.

I dunno - trying to have more to say on the subject
other than Cole is Eyeore - though I don't disagree that Cole is in fact Eyeore lol.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Mon Apr-30-18 01:05 AM

17. "Another good one from Cole"
In response to Reply # 0

FYEO is still my favorite complete album of his, but this album has standout tracks that many felt were lacking from that project. "ATM", "Motiv8", and "Kevin's Heart" specifically. A couple of other tracks stand alone for me while the rest I'd rather hear in context of the album.

One thing I have to say about Cole is that he's very much evolved into a good musician and not just a guy who raps. Both his production and songwriting have grown and become more nuanced. I've enjoyed watching him evolve. As I listened to this album, I thought about how far he's come from the Sideline Story... and even how far he's come since Born Sinner where you could see his growth from Sideline Story. When he started, I could tell his production ambition was greater than his talent. He's kinda reached that sweet spot where he can bring what's in his head to fruition for the most part. Whether one likes him or not, he doesn't sound like someone who started producing and writing songs yesterday. Alotta guys who start out as spitters never reach that point.

That said, can you point to which songs have a "Kendrick influence"?
People have said that on here, but the only place I can even say he sounds "like" Kendrick is the "will I fall, will I fly" singing part on ATM, and that's mainly because of the voice change which Kendrick didn't invent, so I'm not sure I can attribute anything here to Kendrick. The accusation just reminds me of when people were saying hashtag flow was biting Drake when he didn't make it... he just did it so much that people associated it with him. What I DO hear is that his sound here is more "contemporary" than it usually is. As I mentioned above, his talent is much closer to his ambition than it used to be.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Fri May-04-18 02:59 PM

18. "Never copped or listen to a J. Cole album"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't dislike him, was just ambivalent and never got around to listening to him much.

KOD is dope to me, front to back. I don't know how it compares to his other albums, but this is another 2018 win.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16414 posts
Fri May-11-18 03:14 PM

19. "i liked this"
In response to Reply # 0

i had only listened to his first album before. I remember i enjoyed it but never wanted to go back to anything on it. this one is pretty good to me.

i think i added the whole album to my current music playlist and i have enjoyed the tracks when they come on. might listen to the album in full again. might check out older albums too.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3004282 Previous topic | Next topic