Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3004054

Subject: "When was the last time you listened to Arrested Development?" Previous topic | Next topic
maro
Charter member

"When was the last time you listened to Arrested Development?"
Fri Apr-13-18 09:27 AM by maro

Because SPEECH got the underrated crown on. Dude got lyrics on lyrics on lyrics.

Saw Arrested Development last night in Philly. This would be my 3rd time seeing them over the last 20 years. Like usual, they put on a phenomenal live hip-hop show. Tons of energy, live musicians and as per usual with Speech, you could hear every single word he spit. AND GOT DAYUM I forgot how well dude can rap. You know he got that singsongy draw at the end of his pronunciations, which I think always put him in an outside category for your favorite rapper. But for a hip-hop elder, I don't remember him sounding better, and much better than most live MC's that I have seen then and now.

26yrs in the game does that. Go back and listen to some Arrested Development. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

werd.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Respect to them. Loved the second album
Apr 15th 2018
Zingalamaduni low key a gem
Apr 16th 2018
They were a major influence but I've never seen them...
Apr 16th 2018
my man
Apr 16th 2018
Show was phenominal
Apr 17th 2018
      venue
Apr 17th 2018
I've not seen them in forever
Apr 16th 2018
Was put on to their 2006 album last year via Discover Weekly.
Apr 16th 2018
about a month ago
Apr 18th 2018
Not since 93
Apr 19th 2018
His feature on the latest DJ Koze album is nice.
May 04th 2018

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 09:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Respect to them. Loved the second album"
In response to Reply # 0

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Zingalamaduni low key a gem "
In response to Reply # 1

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 12:28 PM

2. "They were a major influence but I've never seen them..."
In response to Reply # 0

Cuz of this post I looked up their tour and got tickets to the show TONIGHT in Boston. Thanks for the heads up.

Speech's solo work, esp. his first, is underrated. I'm excited.

maro
Charter member

3. "my man"
In response to Reply # 2

great show!!

look forward to your review!

werd.

ToeJam
Charter member
2103 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 08:40 AM

7. "Show was phenominal"
In response to Reply # 3

The venue was a little weird for a hip-hop show (seated tables, "wine" bar) but not too weird for the grown and sexy crowd this show mostly brought out. The band worked the room like pros, casually inviting the audience to stand and dance, which I did the entire time.

The band all has super-chops, but they don't overplay the songs so they're still the songs, yet bring each jam to a climax. The use of the sampler, where in other groups it could cause the band to drag, always seemed to sit just right in the mix, so the songs all sounded authentic, not like a band's version on a sampled hip-hop song.

Speech, along with the band, did an incredible job of keeping the classics fresh, finding all the little iconic moments in the songs to expand upon in fresh ways. Keeping the audience involved in a huge variety of call and responses. Tasha LaRae brought powerful vocals that could soar above the live arrangements. Fareedah is a Goddess from another planet. Her dance and energy (and vocals) are like an adrenaline shot. Or maybe an adrenaline IV. The harmony/hype work with 5 vocalists was all on point.

And all the new songs, while not the majority of the show, were dope. And yes, Speech's vocal clarity (and writing) allow you to catch every lyric, new shit included.

So glad I went. I will see them anytime they're in town.

maro
Charter member

8. "venue"
In response to Reply # 7

Interesting that they played a sit down joint. The venue in Philly had a bar in the back and the entire stage front, left and right was all floor space and packed, with just as you mentioned, lovely beautiful people who were all for the most part dancing their asses off.

Their live show, as it pertains to hip-hop is definitely in my top 10, if not top 5.

werd.

tariqhu
Charter member
17889 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 02:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "I've not seen them in forever"
In response to Reply # 2

but they've always had great shows.

you're right about that first solo. it was really good. I played the hell out of it.

not sure why they eventually started getting clowned.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 05:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Was put on to their 2006 album last year via Discover Weekly."
In response to Reply # 0

It's great. I love them.

I listen to their stray tracks quite often. Mr. Wendel is one of my all time favorite songs.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

kevb
Charter member
16580 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 05:15 PM

9. "about a month ago"
In response to Reply # 0

Revolution came on this mix and I almost lost my shit. i forgot how hard that song was.

Kev

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Thu Apr-19-18 03:15 PM

10. "Not since 93"
In response to Reply # 0

This post me wanna revisit!

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Steve O Tron v2
Member since Sep 13th 2002
12906 posts
Fri May-04-18 06:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "His feature on the latest DJ Koze album is nice."
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3004054 Previous topic | Next topic