Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3003935

Subject: "Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!" Previous topic | Next topic
Gori
Member since Jul 26th 2005
15 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!"

Hey!

Since I got so much beta support from all of you last year I thought I'd let everyone know that we're finally launched.

Tracklib is a record store with music for sampling. All tracks here can be cleared for release in minutes.

Check out our how it works video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9fT14C2xY

And of course, visit the site and start digging:
https://www.tracklib.com

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you in any way.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Congrats!!!
Apr 11th 2018
Wow....
Apr 11th 2018
RE: Wow....
Apr 12th 2018
Doesnt a pre-curated collection of sources defeat purpose of digging?
Apr 11th 2018
RE: Doesnt a pre-curated collection of sources defeat purpose of digging...
Apr 12th 2018
Dope concept. Congrats.
Apr 12th 2018
RE: Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!
Apr 13th 2018
this is a great resource
Apr 15th 2018
Apr 18th 2018
Apr 21st 2018
Apr 23rd 2018
this is dope..i will pass it on..
Apr 19th 2018

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Congrats!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

yes

quikfit
Charter member
1897 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 09:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Wow...."
In response to Reply # 0

As someone who used to work in music licensing - this is crazy!
Basically inventing a whole new way of doing this and going around traditional organizations (Harry Fox, CMRRA, etc.)
Seems like this would have been a lot of work to get off the ground??!?
Congrats! This seems like a bit of a game changer.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Soul music is bad, bad, bad!

Gori
15 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 01:24 AM

5. "RE: Wow...."
In response to Reply # 2

>As someone who used to work in music licensing - this is
>crazy!
>Basically inventing a whole new way of doing this and going
>around traditional organizations (Harry Fox, CMRRA, etc.)
>Seems like this would have been a lot of work to get off the
>ground??!?
>Congrats! This seems like a bit of a game changer.

We really hope it is and think we have a good idea. Now we just need to get people to start using it.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 11:33 PM

3. "Doesnt a pre-curated collection of sources defeat purpose of digging?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-11-18 11:34 PM by Jon

No hate, just trying to understand the appeal

Gori
15 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 12:46 AM

4. "RE: Doesnt a pre-curated collection of sources defeat purpose of digging..."
In response to Reply # 3

Sure, the pre-curated collections does defeat the purpose - if finding new stuff is your main goal. However, 95% of our tracks haven't even been listened to by anyone on the site - so if you just start searching yourself with the advanced parameters you'll soon find stuff that is unique.

And we hope to have hundreds of thousands of tracks soon (currently at 60,000!) so the ones we've picked in collection is just a little taste of our whole library.

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Thu Apr-12-18 09:52 PM

6. "Dope concept. Congrats."
In response to Reply # 0

I normally don't sample as far as chopping or looping pre-existing melodies or rhythms but that service may be good for getting one note sounds. Might make me want to even try my hand at sampling.

Since 1976

Gori
15 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 01:31 AM

7. "RE: Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!"
In response to Reply # 0

Just let me know if you have any questions about anything. And thank you again for everyone's kind words!

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 01:00 PM

8. "this is a great resource"
In response to Reply # 0

and I hope it will have legs moving forward because it will give producers the option of pre-clearing things ahead of time before placement. That alone makes it easier to do business and be creative the way you'd like to.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

apex
Member since Aug 19th 2002
702 posts
Wed Apr-18-18 03:49 PM

9. "RE: Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!"
In response to Reply # 0

I respect the intent and my comments are meant to be constructive. Why not just provide a one-click (or two or three) way to clear a sample that the user has dug him or herself? A simple one page site where you fill out a form, maybe upload the sample, and then your service quickly curates/facilitates the clearing process. Why try to be a music curator and sample clearance house at the same time? For sample based beats, the culture has always favored producers who find their own sounds, so that should be left alone imho. The only appeal of this is the quick and easy clearance aspect. Why not focus on that exclusively? Like being a DistroKid for sample clearance... that would be dope. But whenever i see curated collections, i immediately look the other way... i'm trying to find the records you don't have lol.

Gori
15 posts
Sat Apr-21-18 12:45 AM

11. "RE: Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!"
In response to Reply # 9

>I respect the intent and my comments are meant to be
>constructive. Why not just provide a one-click (or two or
>three) way to clear a sample that the user has dug him or
>herself? A simple one page site where you fill out a form,
>maybe upload the sample, and then your service quickly
>curates/facilitates the clearing process.

Well, the answer to that is simple - what we're doing just wouldn't work for licensing just one track. The only reason we can have the licensing be this simple is that we're licensing large amounts of tracks at once. The actual work involved to get a label to sign off is usually months - if not years. We can't spend that time trying to get a specific song for someone.

So far we're close to 100 labels from all over the world signed, and the number of tracks we have is not small - more than 60000 tracks - and we hope to make it 10 times that in a year. So there is an opportunity to dig for stuff noone else has found here. We just got a _lot_ of chinese music, for example.

If you want to keep digging for old vinyl, please do. I still definitely do myself. This isn't going to end that. We're just offering a decent alternative when you want to make sure that what you dig for can be licensed.

apex
Member since Aug 19th 2002
702 posts
Mon Apr-23-18 11:02 AM

12. "RE: Tracklib - a record store with music for sampling - NOW LIVE!"
In response to Reply # 11

Makes a lot of sense! Thanks for your reply.

houston_hardhead
Member since Jan 24th 2010
550 posts
Thu Apr-19-18 05:29 PM

10. "this is dope..i will pass it on.."
In response to Reply # 0

---------------------------------

So i'm smokin on this cactus, bangin Fat Patrick
hustla til i die baby grindin like a savage
pimp game sweet, breakin ankles and feet
cuz these hoes break they toes til they job complete

H-Town made L.A. paid

Lobby The Lesson topic #3003935 Previous topic | Next topic