Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3003668

Subject: "RIP Cecil Taylor" Previous topic | Next topic
A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3050 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 01:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP Cecil Taylor"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Wow what a loss to the world of jazz
Apr 06th 2018
damn
Apr 06th 2018
R.I.P. no. 1 heavyweight avantgarde champ!!!
Apr 07th 2018
*thumbs up*
Apr 07th 2018
RE: R.I.P. no. 1 heavyweight avantgarde champ!!!
Apr 09th 2018
you were the first guy I thought of when I heard
Apr 10th 2018
      Same, I instantly thought of Jakob.
Apr 11th 2018
      Yeah, I've been there...
Apr 11th 2018
      Was it''All the notes''?
Apr 11th 2018
      ditto. Came here like, 'if Jakob ain't got nothing to say...'
Apr 16th 2018
Rest In Peace Cecil Percival Taylor
Apr 10th 2018
*obligatory Miles Davis blindfold test for "Lena*"
Apr 11th 2018
RIP
Apr 15th 2018

hip bopper
Member since Jun 22nd 2003
7385 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 01:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Wow what a loss to the world of jazz"
In response to Reply # 0

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Apr-06-18 11:39 PM

2. "damn"
In response to Reply # 0

RIP

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 08:53 AM

3. "R.I.P. no. 1 heavyweight avantgarde champ!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-07-18 09:09 AM by Jakob Hellberg

Cecil is my all-time favorite artist in the sense that when I'm in the mood for Cecil, *nothing* hits me harder. That the music might not work as background music and tend to piss off my close surroundings is a different issue. EVERY week (well, almost) is Cecil week for me but this week (month?) will be so even more.

VERY misunderstood artist as well but thats part of the game when you are avantgarde like that; let's just say that I don't think Cecil was as removed from jazz-tradition as many claimed and his use of percussive dissonance or even atonality was NOT based on some pretentious "playing/writing tonal is old-fashioned" shit; rather, dude wanted to emphasize the *percussive* quality of jazz-piano and by removing the traditional harmonic function of the instrument, it almost literally became a particularly expressive drum-set at times (note that Cecil FAR from always played like that, it's very overstated, perhaps since it was so shocking). Some of the sickest rhytm/sound patterns ever (and yes, it's very much patterns and shapes; NOTING even remotely random or erratic about his playing-he was constructionist to the core and unlike many more modern classical avantgardists, he understood the value of repetition and more "obvious" rhytmic patterns/forms etc-"call and response" in particular).

Also note that his most frequent collaborator, altoist Jimmy Lyons, sounded like a Carlie Parker worshipper let loose in an avantgarde setting so there was
always a nod to tradition with him in the band.

Cecil's solo-piano stuff not to mention his collabs with various european free-improvisers like Derek bailey and Tony Oxley may appear less tied to a jazz/black musical tradition but in the case of the latter, it was generally *cecil* who sounded the "rootsiest". The solo-stuff meanwhile do sound more "classical" due to the absence of drums and horns but Cecil always tended to put at least some blues/bebop/ragtime/stride/whatever stuff in there as well.

Ten great Cecil-records in order of recording (NOTE:Cecils music before 62 tends to sound more traditional and "swinging" due to more conventional rhythm-sections; as soon as new drummer Sunny Murray-later with Ayler-found the "free-rhythm" approach in 61-62, the music went to mars and Cecil never really looked back outside of some sections here and there):

World of Cecil Taylor (1960, accessible and dope)

Nefertiti.../Live at Cafe Montmartre (live, 1962. Gamechanging in its approach to rhythm in jazz, still more tied to tradition in other ways at times as well)

Unit Structures (1966, first really OUT record and quite famous. A bit stiff and overarranged IMO, still ,classic)

Conquistador (1966, better than "Unit structures" IMO, bill Dixon! )

Akisakila (live, 1973, WILD!!! Cecil , lyons and drummer Andrew Cyrille never lets up for 80 minutes. I kind of wish he would have done a few more "loose" records like dis one)

Indent (1973) *or* Silent tongues *or* Air above Mountains (all 70's solo-piano recitals, all great but kind of similar outside of different lengths/forms etc.)

Cecil Taylor Unit (1978, GREAT *band*-music here, very much a unit rather than Cecil and some dudes. Quite noisy though!)

Nailed (1990, completely free improv with Tony Oxley, barry Guy and Evan Parker; dark, at times savage stuff, not very restrained. Great to play when you want to tell the world to go to hell)

Feel trio boxset (more free improvs from the 90s but more accessible due to the conventional trio format and very dynamic playing from cecil, oxley and William Parker. Awesome)

Wilisau concert (2000, solo-piano and often the most beautiful record he did ,still intense (duh!) and unsentimental though)

EDIT:his three songs on Gil Evans "Into the hot" (1961, also released on impulse in de 90's as "Mixed" alongside a completely unrelated and somewhat hit-and-miss Roswell Rudd-record) are amazing too; great, somewhat post-bop sound with Sunny Murray, Jimmy Lyons *and* Archie Shepp:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDy8f_hlRdE

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3050 posts
Sat Apr-07-18 11:15 AM

4. "*thumbs up*"
In response to Reply # 3

ajiav
Member since Feb 02nd 2007
2402 posts
Mon Apr-09-18 12:40 AM

5. "RE: R.I.P. no. 1 heavyweight avantgarde champ!!!"
In response to Reply # 3

excellent post

-------

http://soundcloud.com/ajiav
http://www.last.fm/user/ajiav

Games without front ears / born without ears

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Apr-10-18 11:18 AM

6. "you were the first guy I thought of when I heard"
In response to Reply # 3

and apparently Mr. Burns (of Greenwood & Burns) was involved in making a 55 minute documentary on Cecil some years back. Don't have the info but will forward to you when I get it.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 12:51 PM

8. "Same, I instantly thought of Jakob."
In response to Reply # 6

On a side note, I recently tried to put a co-worker on to Cecil.

We pull up some of his stuff on Spotify.
I hit play.
She looked at me with the screwface after about 20 seconds of listening.

I did not make a new fan that day.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 01:41 PM

9. "Yeah, I've been there..."
In response to Reply # 8

>On a side note, I recently tried to put a co-worker on to
>Cecil.
>
>We pull up some of his stuff on Spotify.
>I hit play.
>She looked at me with the screwface after about 20 seconds of
>listening.
>
>I did not make a new fan that day.

I gave up a long time ago though,even many people into *free-jazz* don't seem to dig him. Oh well...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 01:59 PM

10. "Was it''All the notes''?"
In response to Reply # 6

I haven't seen that documentary yet. There were lots of things going on including an autobiography, not sure what will happen now though...

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "ditto. Came here like, 'if Jakob ain't got nothing to say...'"
In response to Reply # 6

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Apr-10-18 02:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Rest In Peace Cecil Percival Taylor"
In response to Reply # 0

It seems like every month we're are now losing another jazz musician, damn, rest in peace Cecil Percival Taylor.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Apr-11-18 08:41 PM

11. "*obligatory Miles Davis blindfold test for "Lena*""
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf1K9qAXEAs

8. Cecil Taylor
Lena
(from Live at the Caf� Montmartre, Fantasy).
Jimmy Lyons, alto saxophone; Taylor, piano.

"Take it off! That's some sad shit, man. In the first place, I hear some Charlie Parker cliches. . . . They don't even fit. Is that what the critics are digging? Them critics better stop having coffee. If there ain't nothing to listen to, they might as well admit it. Just to take something like that and say it's great, because there ain't nothing to listen to, that's like going out and getting a prostitute.

L.F.: This man said he was influenced by Duke Ellington.

M.D.: I don't give a shit! It must be Cecil Taylor. Right? I don't care who he's inspired by. That shit ain't nothing. In the first place he don't have the - you know, the way you touch a piano. He doesn't have the touch that would make the sound of whatever he thinks of come off.

I can tell he's influenced by Duke, but to put the loud pedal on the piano and make a run is very old-fashioned to me. And when the alto player sits up there and plays without no tone. . . . That's the reason I don't buy any records."

I always liked his playing, but hey...
As an aside, "Them critics better stop having coffee" sounds like a mistermaxxxx rant

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 04:11 PM

12. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

a top tier talent. prayers go out

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #3003668 Previous topic | Next topic