Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3003602

Subject: "so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a culture..." Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Apr-04-18 10:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a culture..."

i dug maxwell 20 years back and still respect him however he ain't called a culture bandit like Bruno mars please explain

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Only thing authentic about Bruno is his talent...
Apr 05th 2018
well we know one thing neither one of them do
Apr 05th 2018
Maybe it's because Maxwell is actually half-(b)lack. Haitian to be
Apr 05th 2018
Puerto Rican is NOT a race.
Apr 13th 2018
RE: so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a cul...
Apr 15th 2018
RE: so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a cul...
Apr 16th 2018

Anonymous
Charter member
23221 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 12:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Only thing authentic about Bruno is his talent..."
In response to Reply # 0

His artistry is as fraud as they come

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18111 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 07:03 PM

2. "well we know one thing neither one of them do"
In response to Reply # 0

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18284 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 07:20 PM

3. "Maybe it's because Maxwell is actually half-(b)lack. Haitian to be "
In response to Reply # 0

exact. There's nothing Black about Bruno Mars.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Fri Apr-13-18 11:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Puerto Rican is NOT a race. "
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------
�Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.�-- Warren Coolidge

spidey
Charter member
13107 posts
Sun Apr-15-18 10:44 AM

5. "RE: so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a cul..."
In response to Reply # 0

Max is a shade darker...lol...this whole notion of who can do what is silly...either your talented or not...

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

eldealo
Charter member
10110 posts
Mon Apr-16-18 06:00 AM

6. "RE: so Maxwell is Puerto Rican like Bruno Mars and he ain't called a cul..."
In response to Reply # 0

>i dug maxwell 20 years back and still respect him however he
>ain't called a culture bandit like Bruno mars please explain

i don't lump bruno in with cultural appropriation, personally. perhaps he can do more, but i feel he has done a great job of paying respect to his predecessors. in fact, i've read multiple interviews in magazines which he states just how much respect he has for black artists and how much he has been influenced by it. i have no problem conceding to the idea that he is benefitting from having an ambiguous look. i just don't choose to lay the blame on him when i feel that there is a much larger culprit. when cats like teddy riley give him high praise, i've got no reason to single him out. i don't believe in limiting musicians as long as they give proper respect to those that did it first, and try to educate their audience. i think he is a very talented artist, that has potential to be a great one. he is not quite there yet, imo, but i feel like he is on his way.

regarding maxwell, i think he has been embraced by the black community because he is haitian in addition to puerto rican, and he has lived the black experience in the u.s. (at least in part). i've never had a problem with him embracing afro-latino roots.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3003602 Previous topic | Next topic