Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3003318

Subject: "LL Cool J Launches Classic Hip-Hop Radio On SirusXM - vibe.com swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 01:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"LL Cool J Launches Classic Hip-Hop Radio On SirusXM - vibe.com swipe"

https://www.vibe.com/2018/03/ll-cool-j-launches-rock-the-bells-radio-siriusxm/

LL Cool J Launches Classic Hip-Hop Radio On SirusXM

Music News Jessica McKinney | March 29, 2018 - 9:00 pm

With rookies like Tekashi 6ix9ine and Lil Uzi Vert running the charts, it’s clear that hip-hop music is moving in a very different direction. Even so, there are still many artists – young and old – who want to pay homage to those classic rap tracks. And now, they will be able to get their daily dose of classic hip-hop, thanks to a new radio channel. LL Cool J launched “Rock the Bells Radio” for SiriusXM on Wednesday (Mar. 27), where fans can listen to all of their favorite OGs.

Following the big launch, the recent Kennedy Center honoree hosted an invite-only retro skating party at World on Wheels roller skating rink in Los Angeles. Snoop Dogg, Tiffany Haddish, Kelis, Anthony Anderson, and hip-hop pioneers, Melle Mel, Slick Rick, Dana Dane, and Eric B, were some of the celebrity guests on the invitation list.

“This is an important room,” LL told VIBE during the launch party. “These guys mean everything to this culture.”

“Rock the Bells” radio, which currently airs on channel 43 on SirusXM, pays homage to the rap classics, through the “lens of current culture.” The show will feature an array of hip-hop content, from music and interviews, to in-depth retrospectives curated and presented by LL, as well as other innovators of hip-hop music, including Ice Cube, Stetsasonic, Eric B. & Rakim, Snoop Dogg, Outkast, Kool Moe Dee, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest, Ultramagnetic MCs, Too Short, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Canibus, Wu-Tang Clan, Run-DMC, Brand Nubian, De La Soul, Black Moon and Ice T.

While it has not been confirmed, that classic roster may also include music from the likes of the Notorious B.I.G., Salt-N-Pepa, and LL Cool J himself.

“It’s not about capturing anything, it’s about moving forward. It’s about showing people an art form in a classic sense. There’s no nostalgia in this. It’s all through the lens of current culture,” LL explained.

“These guys are too important for me to just let the world think that me and Run DMC started rap music,” he continued. “That’s not reality. I didn’t start it, I stood on the shoulders of giants, so I want to make sure that they’re respected and celebrated. It’s important because if we don’t document history it’s erased forever.

“Hip-hop has gotten to a point where people are more focussed (on the business side), and it’s not a bad thing to do, but being a successful business man has nothing to do with the art form,” he added. “You can be talented at capturing and monetizing the art, but that doesn’t mean you’re not a great artist if you don’t do that. A lot of these guys weren’t able to capture certain things financially, but their artistic contribution will last for years.”

And the new-school generation isn’t being cut out of the conversation, LL encourages anyone who wants to “check out the classics” to listen to the show.

“It ain’t about age, it’s about a state of mind,” he pointed out. “You want to check out the classics we’re here, it’s that simple. Nobody’s pandering, we’re in our lane. We’re not trying to fake it, this is classic.”

Hit the gallery for photos from the “Rock the Bells Radio” launch party.

Additional reporting by Latifah Muhammad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
So basically, Backspin has been re-branded as "Rock The Bells"
Mar 30th 2018
ikr?
Mar 30th 2018
I think RTB radio goes a little deeper with their playlist.
Mar 30th 2018
      hmmm...interesting point. Thanks for getting past some stuff
Mar 31st 2018
I wish he would let his guy Geechie Dan play some of those tapes
Mar 30th 2018
licensing and broadcast fees out the ass for those park jam tapes
Mar 31st 2018
      I know it's a legal nightmare, but I wish
Apr 01st 2018
      they’re a broadcaster
Apr 02nd 2018
I wish they would stop playing that launch party...
Apr 01st 2018

Airbreed
Charter member
29433 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "So basically, Backspin has been re-branded as "Rock The Bells""
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-30-18 03:03 PM by Airbreed

*shrugs*

Backspin was already doing that. What's different this time?

Electric Area has been re-branded as Diplo Revolution or some shit, too.

Kinda tired of not seeing more black radio channels on SiruisXM. Just a whole lot of re-branding. And some of us are still waiting on Micheal Jackson to get his own channel, just like Sintara, Garth Brooks and Elvis has theirs.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 06:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "ikr?"
In response to Reply # 1

>*shrugs*
>
>Backspin was already doing that. What's different this time?
>
>Electric Area has been re-branded as Diplo Revolution or some
>shit, too.
>
>Kinda tired of not seeing more black radio channels on
>SiruisXM. Just a whole lot of re-branding. And some of us are
>still waiting on Micheal Jackson to get his own channel, just
>like Sintara, Garth Brooks and Elvis has theirs.
>
>

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 07:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I think RTB radio goes a little deeper with their playlist. "
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Mar-30-18 07:11 PM by ry 213

I was listening a bit today and they played some tracks that Backspin would never play. I general liked Backspin but it annoyed me when they would play overplayed tracks like Bust a Move or Baby Got Back. Do people who like old school hip hop really want to hear those played out songs you can hear at any white wedding? There was also a lot of repetitiveness on Backspin. So much opportunity to go into an artists catalog and they would just play the one famous track.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sat Mar-31-18 10:01 AM

5. "hmmm...interesting point. Thanks for getting past some stuff"
In response to Reply # 3

posted beforehand that seemed kinda......off

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Fri Mar-30-18 07:34 PM

4. "I wish he would let his guy Geechie Dan play some of those tapes"
In response to Reply # 0

that guy has the illest Hip Hop tape collection in the world-and I don't mean albums, I mean park jams, battles and routines from the early days.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Sat Mar-31-18 04:31 PM

6. "licensing and broadcast fees out the ass for those park jam tapes"
In response to Reply # 4

not saying Sirius doesn't have the resources
but the million and one breaks played at the park jams means someone
(and back then that would mean everyone but the artist)
would be getting an ill payday

Sirius probably like "we're good"

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Apr-01-18 10:56 AM

7. "I know it's a legal nightmare, but I wish"
In response to Reply # 6

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Apr-02-18 06:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "they’re a broadcaster"
In response to Reply # 6

They have to pay those fees anyway. If that was an issue, they’d never be able to play records by De La or Public Enemy. They can afford it.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Sun Apr-01-18 12:16 PM

8. "I wish they would stop playing that launch party..."
In response to Reply # 0

how many times do we have to hear it?

Lobby The Lesson topic #3003318 Previous topic | Next topic