Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3002818

Subject: "is Heavy D the most underrated East coast rapper ever?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Mar-18-18 09:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"is Heavy D the most underrated East coast rapper ever?"

i ask because his versatility never gets enough due IMO.
yeah I stay listening to Heavy and to me he is the east coast version of Snoop if you ask me.versatile.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
he was a superstar in his prime.. everyone loved him...
Mar 19th 2018
his albums used to sound so clean sonically.
Mar 19th 2018
nobody under rates Hev.
Mar 22nd 2018
plus without Hev, there is no Pete Rock...
Mar 22nd 2018
      or Biggie
Mar 24th 2018
      why is this?
Mar 27th 2018
           Heavy got Marley to let a 15 year old Pete Rock DJ on WBLS....
Mar 27th 2018
For as good as he was in his prime, he doesn't have the respect from hea...
Mar 23rd 2018
all of this is wrong
Mar 24th 2018
I was basing that comment just on my own sense of Heavy's regard
Mar 26th 2018
yeah he was like Tribe, everybody loved his music
Mar 26th 2018
Underrated, NO
Mar 27th 2018
he's in that LL lane.. respected but not revered
Mar 27th 2018

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 08:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "he was a superstar in his prime.. everyone loved him..."
In response to Reply # 0

...not sure where he ranks as an MC, but he was dope ..just not Kane, G Rap, Rakim dope

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 09:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "his albums used to sound so clean sonically."
In response to Reply # 0

tariqhu
Charter member
17891 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 08:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "nobody under rates Hev."
In response to Reply # 0

anybody that listened knows he could rap and do a lot of styles. his shows were dope too. that's big dancing ass dude.

he doesn't get mentioned because of his styles of music. he was in the 90s, but he wasn't bustin gats or slangin crack.

he was dope tho.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 10:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "plus without Hev, there is no Pete Rock..."
In response to Reply # 3

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Mar-24-18 05:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "or Biggie"
In response to Reply # 4

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

maro
Charter member

10. "why is this?"
In response to Reply # 4

werd.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 01:56 PM

11. "Heavy got Marley to let a 15 year old Pete Rock DJ on WBLS...."
In response to Reply # 10

....and Heavy would have Pete learn and work on the production side as well ...helped Pete & CL get a record deal and make sure they didn't get jerked

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Mar-23-18 10:40 PM

5. "For as good as he was in his prime, he doesn't have the respect from hea..."
In response to Reply # 0

He was able to ride the line between crossing over and having pull from heads.

Like someone else said, his subject matter didn't connect with some heads because it wasn't hardcore or gangsta. Some acts like De La or Tribe are able to still get respect and props despite their positive lyrics but Heavy D didn't get that level of regard.

He also was more pop and dance oriented than both of those groups mentioned above and pop acts generally don't get the respect that underground acts that are critically acclaimed get.

But it didn't seem to matter much to him. He's generally a good guy and never seemed to be the type to carry a chip like that on his shoulder.

He had a great career tho. Dope MC and had a nice little run in acting for a little bit too on Boston Public. In a different world maybe his career is looked at like Queen Latifah's is now.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Mar-24-18 05:14 PM

6. "all of this is wrong"
In response to Reply # 5

hev had ultimate respect from headds

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 09:48 PM

9. "I was basing that comment just on my own sense of Heavy's regard"
In response to Reply # 6

I just don't remember MC's of the generation that followed that Golden Age generation giving Heavy D a lot of props. Not in the sense that folks like Kanye or Pharrell go out of their way to mention Tribe as a major influence.

Like Garhart_Popwell mentioned below, he's right that folks of his time respected Heavy D's talents. I was just making a take on what I know of what current people (mostly folks around here) mention about Heavy D.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Mon Mar-26-18 07:56 PM

8. "yeah he was like Tribe, everybody loved his music"
In response to Reply # 5

regardless of the type of music they made or their image. I don't know where you got this from, but when he was at his peak his name was always on those 'your favorite emcee's favorite emcee' lists. Lots of rappers spoke on how he was their favorite artist to play around their mothers.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 04:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Underrated, NO"
In response to Reply # 0

How can a rapper/emcee who sold a million copies of an album be underrated?

Heavy D. was big from his first single, first album, and was well known in the rap industry by time his second album dropped, so no he's not underrated at all; most would consider him old school rap artist since a lot of the new generation wouldn't really know of him since he kind of fell off and went back underground by his sixth album (first solo album) was released but that's expected, not many artists who have been in the game as long as he has most don't think they would continue to have the same success music & name-wise for that long but he had a good run.

To be underrated you needed to have an album or single that never sold big (meaning didn't go platinum), but was well known by the underground scene but not by mainstream media, a rapper/emcee who was very lyrical and could make music that all coasts (east, west, mid-west) could get behind if one of his songs was played, if they spat dope verse, etc.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Tue Mar-27-18 04:40 PM

13. "he's in that LL lane.. respected but not revered"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #3002818 Previous topic | Next topic