Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3002784

Subject: "I'm really exited about these upcoming MMG releases!" Previous topic | Next topic
A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3052 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 04:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I'm really exited about these upcoming MMG releases!"

Jean Grae & Quelle Chris - Everything's Fine
https://quellechris360.bandcamp.com/album/everythings-fine

Videos:
Gold Purple Orange
https://youtu.be/yVEgxDad0_w

ZERO
https://youtu.be/nBNPPEUWE1U

Quelle Chris is seriously one of the most creative hip hop artist out now.

---

Denmark Vessey - Sun Go Nova
https://denmarkvessey.bandcamp.com/album/sun-go-nova
Entirely produced by Earl Sweatshirt and Knxwledge

Always enjoy Denmarks stuff. I loved the Buy Muy Drugs album.

---

MC Paul Barman - (((echo chamber)))
https://mellomusicgroup.bandcamp.com/album/echo-chamber

---

MMG is killing it!!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Everything's Fine (March 30)
Mar 17th 2018
Sun Go Nova (April 20)
Mar 17th 2018
Video: Trustfall prod by earl
Mar 22nd 2018
(((echo chamber))) (May 18)
Mar 17th 2018
I've heard it, it's Barman at his finest
Mar 18th 2018
RE: I'm really exited about these upcoming MMG releases!
Mar 17th 2018
RE: I'm really exited about these upcoming MMG releases!
Mar 18th 2018
i used to say they were the "Rawkus" of today...
Mar 19th 2018
      And they've pulled it off in an era when no one buys music
Mar 19th 2018
Where does one start with
Mar 22nd 2018

A Love Supreme
3052 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 04:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Everything's Fine (March 30)"
In response to Reply # 0

When you hear the phrase, “everything’s fine,” we immediately understand it as emotional shorthand. In daily life, we depend on those perfunctory clichés (hope all is well, good to hear from you, etc.) to spare ourselves from the psychological unpacking that the truth requires. For that, there’s art. For that, there’s Everything’s Fine from Jean Grae and Quelle Chris, a jagged, acerbic odyssey that brilliantly riffs on this dystopian zeitgeist.

The thing is, anyone without a lobotomy and a toxic red hat understands that things are definitely not fine. The crush of modern anxiety, the late capitalist scramble to survive, and the brain warp rot of social media has left most of us half crazy.

“We have a dickhead for a president, and before our eyes, racial, religious, and sexual identity rights are moving backwards,” says New York’s (by way of Detroit) Quelle Chris. “Money is still a thing (I’m waiting for Star Trek life to start). There’s war, your kids may be sick, but if someone randomly asks "how's it going?" most people will say "fine."

Released on Mello Music Group, this album replaces that reflexive cliché with honest and eloquent tangents. It’s specific and subtle in its execution, achieving equilibrium between lackadaisical detours to smell the flowers and the frantic acknowledgement that there’s an inferno raging outside.

If the great political albums are often grim polemics, Everything’s Fine achieves its goals partially through withering satire. See the opening skit, a Prince Paul-style game show in which three contestants (including a futuristic robot) numbly croak that everyone’s fine despite flying high on every imaginable drug, crying themselves to sleep at night and being unemployed for a decade and a half despite having a Master’s in Fine Arts. I promise it’s much funnier than it reads off a screen.

“We’re both perfectionists in different ways,” Jean Grae describes their working relationship. “We both see huge pictures and concepts. So while listening, pay attention to the subtleties, the nuances, the dissonance and the harmony. The conversations and pieces of ourselves in the words, the flows, the beats. All of the open spaces. .Be uncomfortable and be okay with that. Be layered and be okay with that. Be angry and be okay.”

It’s rare to find a record where two rappers are so seamlessly intertwined. Yes, that’s partially a by-product of the teamwork that goes into being in any normal relationship where you wake, sleep, and dream together. But the album also bears the hallmarks of two singular creative geniuses trading bars, collaborating on beats, and combining fun with internal therapy and external observations. It features indelible cameos from Denmark Vessey, Grammy Award winner Anna Wise, Your Old Droog and Big Tone, as well as comics Ashok “Dap” Kondabolu, Michael Che, Nick Offerman, and Hannibal Burress.

In the streaming era, we tend to naturally overlook albums that require multiple listens. This is a record that will grab you on first listen, but it’s greatness only reveals itself through its careful construction, slick wordplay, and esoteric allusions.

On “Zero,” Jean artfully references Rachmaninoff and The Donner Party in the first two bars. With “Scoop A Dirt,” she name-drops the Babadook alongside the truth bomb that Friends was little more than a whitewashed rip off off Living Single. Meanwhile, Quelle balances boasts about bags of cash the size of Chris Christie with poignant existential laments. Somewhere in between, Jean will stealthily slip in jewels like, “it took me until my 30s just to put my finger on it, once you accept the knowledge/solace doesn’t follow/honest.”

It’s a record with only a couple antecedents: De La Soul is Dead, Organized Konfusion’s Stress: The Extinction Agenda, Blackstar, and maybe Cannibal Ox’s Cold Vein. Yet it doesn't sound remotely like any of them. It’s spontaneous and free, yet refined and meticulous. Even if everything is abject, it’s a reminder that music can transcend.

“This album is full of our minds. Our hearts. Our love for production, and words. flow and a lot of musicality,” Jeans says. “We don’t approach topics, issues, writing, or making beats in the same way. I’m harsh, blunt, quick, technical, I arrange classically and play more than I sample. I make joints with 80 tracks. I’m layers upon layers upon layers. Quelle is patient, he’s kinder. More loose and minimalistic. He makes sounds work together that shouldn’t fucking work. How? I have no idea. These are dreams within dreams.”
credits
releases March 30, 2018

Production by Jean Grae & Quelle Chris
Sax by Dane Orr
Flute by Melanie Charles
Keys by Paul "Bae Bro" Wilson

A Love Supreme
3052 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 04:53 PM

2. "Sun Go Nova (April 20)"
In response to Reply # 0

The Sun Go Nova Collection (14 Tracks: 2 Volumes)
Vol.1 : Sun Go Nova Ep (prod. Earl Sweatshirt & Knxwledge)
Vol. 2: Sun Go Nova Beat-Tape (prod. Denmark Vessey)

Like most truly original artists, Denmark Vessey defies easy understanding. He’s a Detroit rapper and cult rap hero currently living in New York City, named after a brilliant 19th century slave-turned-carpenter who was convicted and executed for planning what would’ve been the largest slave revolt in North American history. He’s funnier than most political rappers, more political than punch line spitters, and too imaginative for regressive underground stereotypes.

It’s all readily apparent on his latest project, SunGoNova, a breezy exercise of warped soul and eccentric raps produced entirely by Earl Sweatshirt and Knxwledge. The record cohered on a whim not long after Earl proclaimed that you needed to buy Denmark’s Martin Lucid Dream if you needed food.

A subsequent trip to LA found Denmark linking with the pair and returning home with a pack of beats to rap over. There was no idea to formally collaborate but a loose concept began to percolate in the ensuing months. Record sessions commenced in Chicago, where Denmark simultaneously laid down alongside tracks for his Buy Muy Drugs collaboration and SunGoNova. Sessions were conducted in grueling 48-hour marathon increments, where sleep was a secondary concern.

“For lack of a better word, it’s alternative and left-field,” Denmark says. “It’s not light substance-wise, but light in that I want people to think of it as a treat, a little instance of coolness, a flash in the moment but not to be forgotten.”

Despite the brevity, there’s an innate gravity to the words themselves—especially in tandem with the psychedelic thump of the production: “If rap don’t work, I’m whipping this fishscale out/Probably not though/I watched The Wire and it looked fire, but I checked online but the streets not firing.”

In a few breaths, Denmark has the capacity to come off as street-wise and sarcastic, pop culture fluent but stand-up comic self-deprecating. These are the same qualities that led Rolling Stone to call Martin Lucid Dream one of 2015’s best rap albums, while hailing his “sharp sense of humor” and introspection. Pitchfork glowed about how Buy Muy Drugs revealed that in “his own unique way, is pushing us to look beyond the veil and to not take things at face value.”

This complex mentality is applied in rapid-fire rap form on SunGoNova. Denmark references everything from a Hollywood reboot of Roots where they cast Tobey Maguire as the lead to the feeling of waking up in an old K-Mart. He’s praying to the Based God and recalling the fan who said he was heavier there a freight car. Allusions to Biggie and buying shoes on Venmo, esoteric strains of weed and ayahuasca all propitiously clash.

As the album fades out, Denmark’s demanding coffee with Ethiopian beans, but the listener is still wide awake, wanting more. It’ll arrive soon enough.

A Love Supreme
3052 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 01:58 AM

9. "Video: Trustfall prod by earl"
In response to Reply # 2

https://youtu.be/Rm6SOS_wqRE

A Love Supreme
3052 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 04:54 PM

3. "(((echo chamber))) (May 18)"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Mar-17-18 04:56 PM by A Love Supreme

"If you work with words, like I do, there are a few achievements that we secretly fantasize about. Winning a Nobel Prize in literature. Having a #1 best-seller. College professors teaching our writing in their courses. But one achievement that most of us don’t even fantasize about is having an “original citation” in the Oxford English Dictionary.

The unabridged OED is the compendium of the history of English. Every time a word in common parlance was used for the first time, or in a new way, that usage and its author are recorded in the OED’s endless pages. Shakespeare’s got a bunch. Milton, too. These days, getting an original citation is like hearing the voice of God. It doesn’t happen much. But Paul Barman has one.

This is relevant to (((echo chamber))) only because it indicates the level that MC Paul Barman writes at. His rhymes are original in the sense of “no one has ever used that word like that before… but we will now.” Bring your brains. You’re gonna need them.

Not that (((echo chamber))) is hard work. It is perfectly pleasurable to bop your head along to great tracks laid down by ?uestlove and DOOM and Prince Paul, while MCPB says, “Meat keeps an enemy as a bone-deep identity. It’s the hardened shell that starts to smell. At one time, it might have guarded you well. But maladaptive strengths turn to captive feints and you become your own warden in hell.” And then in the next breath, “Would it blasphemy to ask you to shake that assphemy?”

If your ears are open, MCPB is gonna plug your brain in at voltages to which you are unaccustomed. He’s a social critic with a searing conscience that makes (“my”) comfortable bourgeois house of lies tremble with each jagged line on the PB Richter scale. Comfortable notions of being a “good” white person, blow up in the first two tracks, (((Echo Chamber))) and “YOUNGMAN Speaks on (((Race)))”. It takes MCPB just shy of three minutes to make this semi-observant Jew feel skeptical about the Ten Commandments. In ((((((Antennas)))))) he says, “we feel conflicting agendas rise and fall / what we call our identity tries to synthesize them all.” But he offers a solution, too. You’ll have to listen to the song to hear it. And at the end of the anthemic “Age War,” you’re ready to stand up, cheer, and then go join children in battle against the calcified bankrupt status quo. After all, it’s “already dead. Mentally a baby step from a deli spread.”

But, like any great poet (and MCPB is), he gets personal, too. I am certainly “a self in sheep’s clothing, a wealth of cheap loathing…” Aren’t you?

MC Paul Barman tells us, “Rest assured I’m the crested bird of nested words,” and that is no empty boast. In poetry, to rhyme both at the end of line and internally, in the middle of a line, is showing off. Which makes MCPB a crested bird indeed. There are songs, like (((Believe That))), where your eyes just go wide and you can’t believe the number of rhymes in a row that tell the truth. That much truth all placed in a row—you don’t see that anywhere. And it rhymes, on three levels at once.

MC Paul Barman is the most ambitious type of rapper. He is rhyming art. Why bother? It seems hard, and indeed the long hiatus between his albums tells us that it is. Well, MCPB has a reason: “art is the answer, the be end all... art, art and only art give solace to all this chaos and lonely hearts.”

So take some solace. (((Echo Chamber))) by MC Paul Barman is here. It’ll make your brain spin. And make you check your guts."

--- Adam Gidwitz, New York Times Bestselling & Newbery Award Winning Author

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Sun Mar-18-18 10:57 AM

5. "I've heard it, it's Barman at his finest"
In response to Reply # 3

spidey
Charter member
13122 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 11:10 PM

4. "RE: I'm really exited about these upcoming MMG releases!"
In response to Reply # 0

Word up....this year has been unbelievable so far...gonna need a second job to cop all this ish....

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

shutupneff
Member since Mar 28th 2007
332 posts
Sun Mar-18-18 03:25 PM

6. "RE: I'm really exited about these upcoming MMG releases!"
In response to Reply # 0

Well yeah, but when in the last 7 years has that NOT been an appropriate thread title?

Going through their Bandcamp history, the only thing even resembling a down stretch that I could find is late 2013 / early '14. Dr. Stokely, Victim of a Modern Age, Mandala 1&2, Sound of the Weapon, and Return of the Gasface, plus the Dice Game and Abrasions remix EPs. And even then, the only ones that I wasn't looking forward to were Dr. Stokely and Gasface, and both left me pleasantly surprised.

It's absolutely nutballs how consistent and great MMG has been for a label that puts out so much material every year.

-----------

https://soundcloud.com/shutupneff/sets/planetary-invazion

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 08:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "i used to say they were the "Rawkus" of today..."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon Mar-19-18 08:36 AM by My_SP1200_Broken_Aga

....but they've outlasted that short but sweet Rawkus run ...pretty impressive

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

shutupneff
Member since Mar 28th 2007
332 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 09:05 AM

8. "And they've pulled it off in an era when no one buys music"
In response to Reply # 7

Maybe the benefits of today (streaming, Bandcamp, more potential listeners, not having to worry about a najor label buying you out) outweigh the benefits of Rawkus' era (people being willing to spend $15-20 on a CD because it was the only way to hear the music). But I doubt it.

-----------

https://soundcloud.com/shutupneff/sets/planetary-invazion

AtoZ 0toInfinity
Member since Sep 27th 2008
867 posts
Thu Mar-22-18 10:08 AM

10. "Where does one start with "
In response to Reply # 0

Quelle Chris

Lobby The Lesson topic #3002784 Previous topic | Next topic