Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3001898

Subject: "the Boys Unsung" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 11:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"the Boys Unsung"

what were your thoughts on them?

where you got them all time for R&B Boy Groups?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I was born in 84, and I feel like I never even heard of them until
Feb 26th 2018
yeah brother and they relocated to africa man
Feb 28th 2018
it's weird, i don't even think of them when i think of boy bands...
Feb 28th 2018
NJS was wild...when it came, it killed a lotta groups off...when it died...
Feb 28th 2018
RE: it's weird, i don't even think of them when i think of boy bands...
Mar 01st 2018
      Rosie Perez was their Choreo, which explains a lot.
Mar 01st 2018
Man, that gangsta transition was rough.
Apr 17th 2018

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Mon Feb-26-18 04:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I was born in 84, and I feel like I never even heard of them until"
In response to Reply # 0

94-95, just because I didn't get into music until 93.

Listening back...I can see why they were soooo big for a quick moment, but also why no one talks about them anymore. Their music sounds very "of that time period" and I can bet that most of their fans only want to hear a few of their songs at a party for a quick nostalgic moment. They were surely New Edition lite, and they basically came to fulfill the "baby boy group" spot once N.E. became teens...so it was perfect timing for them.

I had no idea they produced their own music on the second album until Unsung...that's wild. And it's nuts how they did what damn near every group from their era did in 92, trying to go Gangsta and risque...Jodeci and Dr. Dre seemed to have EVERYBODY on that tip. It was funniest when Troop did it, naming their song "Punanny."

It's good to see that all four members are healthy and alive, and that their parents are still alive as well...that's rare.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Feb-28-18 12:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "yeah brother and they relocated to africa man"
In response to Reply # 1

i remember when they went over back in the day because i knew somebody who was down with them and it was on point.

great story man. i wish everybody had have goen G Funk because imagine Luther Vandross doing a Nate Dogg thang? it would have been fire and flames.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Wed Feb-28-18 02:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "it's weird, i don't even think of them when i think of boy bands..."
In response to Reply # 0

BUT...

...they might have, oddly enough, been the MOST inherently talented boy band there was. i mean, obviously they were chasing the heels of new edition so you have start there, but i mean, they were pretty clean on vocals, actually had more complex steps than most r&b groups when performing live, and were writing and producing their own music at that young age. they just hit a bad time to have longevity. so many people flamed out when R&B transitioned from NJS to trying to keep up with gangsta rap.

look at them on Arsenio, they are dancing their asses off and singing live (TV track for the hook, obviously) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-P18SYf-NM

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Feb-28-18 03:53 PM

4. "NJS was wild...when it came, it killed a lotta groups off...when it died..."
In response to Reply # 3

most groups who thrived in that era fell off, since it transitioned overnight into Gangsta Rap/Freaky ass R&B.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

HIM
Member since May 20th 2002
1733 posts
Thu Mar-01-18 11:47 AM

5. "RE: it's weird, i don't even think of them when i think of boy bands..."
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Mar-01-18 11:47 AM by HIM

>look at them on Arsenio, they are dancing their asses off and
>singing live (TV track for the hook, obviously)
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-P18SYf-NM

Maannn listen. This vid. is a perfect compliment to all the points of your post.
1-Dancing-All on point and it's easy to tell that they know the routines backwards and forward

2-Singing-All that dancing and they hit their parts almost flawlessly and all sound pretty darn close to the recorded performance.

3-Showmanship and the ability to have that type of breath control after doing back flips and hoping all around the stage!

4-To have 2 young "Little Chubby" members get busy as well, VERY ILL!

And I see your Arsenio performance song #1 and raise you, the Arsenio performance song #2!

True showmen!
https://youtu.be/Oclt00ay87w?t=5m31s

peace
HIM
www.PlazaMelodic.com
"Lo-Fi Holiday" Now Available!!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lo-fi-holiday/id985794237
https://plazamelodic.bandcamp.com/album/lo-fi-holiday
http://soundcloud.com/beatroom88

PROMO
Charter member
30977 posts
Thu Mar-01-18 01:14 PM

6. "Rosie Perez was their Choreo, which explains a lot."
In response to Reply # 5

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Tue Apr-17-18 12:57 PM

7. "Man, that gangsta transition was rough."
In response to Reply # 0

I remember them well, but really nothing after “Dial My Heart”. I wonder if I’d have liked “Thanks 4 Tha Funk” at the time, cuz it definitely seems corny and pandering now. Hearing them (on the show) go from that to “hittin skinz” and being gangsta macks, I just had my head in my hands.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Lobby The Lesson topic #3001898 Previous topic | Next topic