Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3001827

Subject: "Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)" Previous topic | Next topic
BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 02:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)"

So, on January 16, Waxpoetics announced to its subscribers that it will "no longer be able to fulfill Wax Poetics Magazine subscriptions." After sixteen years in print, it will cease being a traditional newsstand publication.

The ‘zine went on to say its starting a new venture where it will “offer a version of Wax Poetics as a print-on-demand journal via Amazon/Ingram.”

Weeks later, on Valentine's Day, the ‘zine announced they are releasing another Prince edition, which is basically part two of Issue 50, which they wound up reprinting twice, I think.

This new Prince edition will be available in paperback for $24.95 and hardcover for $34.95. Readers can pre-order now and expect shipping to begin later this month.

Here’s the link: http://www.waxpoetics.com/wax-poetics-magazine/wax-poetics-issue-67/

I'm curious to know...

* How people are feeling about this change at Waxpoetics? Notably, founder Andre Torres left the company after 16 years for Genius a couple years ago. He has since left Genius and now works at Universal Music Enterprises as the VP of Urban Catalog, according to his LinkedIn profile. (Yes, I'm nosey).

* How they feel about the new Prince edition? Is it Prince overload, or nah? Apparently, the first run of Issue 50, which I own, contained factual errors that were corrected in later reprints, no? I vaguely recall DJ Brainchild noting some errors on Twitter when the issue came out in 2012.

* I still don’t understand exactly what Waxpoetics will be doing in the future as far as print content is concerned, but what kind of editions should editors produce?

I don’t ever recall a Chicago House edition or a Stevie Wonder edition. I do remember the Detroit techno joint and other genres being covered, like Latin and Brazilian music.

I’d like to see an UK Soul edition and an edition covering mainstream and obscure 80s R&B, like the joints that were sampled on Onra’s Long Distance (side bar: those Long Distance samples were blocked on WhoSampled last time I checked. LOL) Maybe features on Kashif, Change, S.O.S Band and the like.

Maybe a New Jack Swing issue?

What y'all think?

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If you're not on the email list or a subscriber...
Feb 23rd 2018
that's foul and bad business to not refund existing subscriptions
Feb 23rd 2018
RE: that's foul and bad business to not refund existing subscriptions
Feb 23rd 2018
RE: that's foul and bad business to not refund existing subscriptions
Feb 23rd 2018
That's How It Goes Sometimes
Feb 26th 2018
class action lawsuit time
Feb 27th 2018
Sad to hear. I bought about 20 issues off of ebay last yr.
Feb 23rd 2018
Damn I guess that's why I haven't seen it at B&N in a while
Feb 23rd 2018
was thinking the same thing.
Feb 24th 2018
i have boxes of the old issues in my basement, refuse to part
Feb 26th 2018
RE: i have boxes of the old issues in my basement, refuse to part
Feb 26th 2018
i was wondering why i hadn't seen em in while in Barnes&Noble
Feb 27th 2018
RE: i was wondering why i hadn't seen em in while in Barnes&Noble
Feb 28th 2018
This is only somewhat interesting
Feb 27th 2018
Has anyone received Issue No. 67 yet? It's SOLD OUT!
Mar 10th 2018
nope, haven't gotten mine yet....
Mar 13th 2018
RE: nope, haven't gotten mine yet....
Mar 13th 2018
got mine in the mail about a week ago.
Mar 14th 2018
      RE: got mine in the mail about a week ago.
Mar 14th 2018
RE: Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)
May 14th 2018
RE: WaxPoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)
Oct 31st 2018
The need to re-release the Dilla issue.
Nov 01st 2018
      pretty sure I've still got mine in the shrink wrap it came packaged in.
Dec 11th 2018
      RE: The need to re-release the Dilla issue.
May 22nd 2019
Waxpoetics' just debuted a new podcast...
Nov 30th 2018
Learned of this via Del's FB page
Nov 30th 2018
Dec 11th 2018
Dec 11th 2018
Another hardcover reissue: No. 65
Jan 07th 2019
Not reading nothin...smh
Jan 08th 2019
May 23rd 2019
Two new issues fa da 20-20
Dec 20th 2019
I don't know if I should applaud or slap them lol.
Dec 28th 2019

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 02:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If you're not on the email list or a subscriber..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Feb-23-18 02:54 PM by BlakStaar

here's the full announcement from January 2018:

Subject: Wax Poetics Magazine Update for Subscribers

"WAX POETICS UPDATE
It is with great sadness that we announce we are no longer able to fulfill Wax Poetics Magazine subscriptions. After sixteen years in print, we will cease being a traditional newsstand publication. We want to sincerely thank all of our loyal fans, customers, and subscribers who supported us since December 2001. And we are truly sorry that we are unable to fulfill our obligations to our current subscribers who put their trust in us.

While our subscribers have always been very important, please understand that we never made a profit from selling subscriptions because of the high price of printing an independent, niche, high-quality magazine; as well as the increasing shipping prices and the cost of customer service. We always set the price at a breakeven level, but we often lost money on subs when all was said and done. Unfortunately, we are unable to refund the cost of your subscription. And we are unable to deliver the Prince issue.

We will be starting a new venture where we can offer a version of Wax Poetics as a print-on-demand journal via Amazon/Ingram. This technology will allow us to continue creating the long-form music journalism that we have always been know for in a printed form, but we will no longer have to front costs for printing and freight. Please understand this is a separate venture, and thus a separate product for these reasons. We hope our longtime customers will understand and continue to support Wax Poetics."

--

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 03:53 PM

2. "that's foul and bad business to not refund existing subscriptions"
In response to Reply # 1

You can't deliver what people paid for so you just gonna keep their money?

I read it over the years, have about 20 issues.
Every once in a while caught a lower priced sleeper on eBay
I appreciate their journalism and dedication but keeping subscriber money is wrong

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 04:22 PM

3. "RE: that's foul and bad business to not refund existing subscriptions"
In response to Reply # 2

Agreed. I wonder what the ‘zine’s finances are looking like, not that it would justify partial refunds.

I had a subscription, but I let it lapse and began buying issues off the newsstand. I’m glad I didn’t renew as I planned last year.

--

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 05:18 PM

6. "RE: that's foul and bad business to not refund existing subscriptions"
In response to Reply # 3

Edit: I meant, not that it would justify *NOT* offering partial refunds.

--

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Feb-26-18 09:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "That's How It Goes Sometimes"
In response to Reply # 2

I remember when I had a two year subscription to Stress Magazine and to Underground Soundz magazine, and two Bomb Hip-Hop zine, Stress went under but I still had about 6 more months of magazines left to get and boom they were no more.

Bomb Hip-Hop I use to like that one got in early when they released a LP compilation, and ended up finding out info on it, even talked to the owner a few times, I did a two year subscription to them as well but after a year he stopped printing the magazine but I talked to him and he sent me a bunch of old issues to make up for what new issues I didn't get.

For Underground Soundz, they was already sketchy cause I remember buying two issues and couldn't find the rest so I called them up and asked them about it and they said they had a deal with a distributor for a trail period and only 3 issues were shipped to stores but since the magazine was indie they were only putting out issues four times a year instead of monthly as advertised so they did sell many issues and lost their distribution deal.

I ended up buying a two year subscription if they sent me four previous issues that before the ones I had already, but no show for almost four months after I sent the money, so I called and they told me the info about the mag, asked if I wanted a refund, & I told them to just send the issues I asked about and sign me up for a year of future issues (four coming up issues) and they sent me one back issue, and two new issues but then nothing; found out they closed up shop, still didn't get the other five issues I paid for, oh well.

Since then I've been hesitant to do subscription to magazines, but I did do one for URB as well, got all the issues for two years plus a two extras cause they shipped twice.

I was going to do a subscription to Wax Poetics after the third issue but by then I was buying too many records and bills caught up with me, and couldn't afford to subscribe to them but damn the prices for theirs was mad high but worth it though, I should've done it cause I missed out on all the good ones cause every place in my town stopped carrying Wax Poetics after issue seven.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

Bblock
Member since Feb 20th 2012
6243 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 12:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "class action lawsuit time"
In response to Reply # 1

life always offers you a 2nd chance...it's called tomorrow. use it wisely

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 04:24 PM

4. "Sad to hear. I bought about 20 issues off of ebay last yr."
In response to Reply # 0

The Dilla issue is one of my favorite music-related possessions. I got like 3 copies of just that one.

I used to buy WP on-sight at Borders/wherever. I didn't dig every issue or I would've been a long-time subscriber. I didn't even realize they were still cranking out new issues.

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Fri Feb-23-18 04:28 PM

5. "Damn I guess that's why I haven't seen it at B&N in a while"
In response to Reply # 0

The Anthology books are good. Would be cool if they put out a Vol 3.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7374 posts
Sat Feb-24-18 10:30 PM

7. "was thinking the same thing."
In response to Reply # 5

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Mon Feb-26-18 10:20 AM

8. "i have boxes of the old issues in my basement, refuse to part "
In response to Reply # 0

with them.

a ton of old complex magazines as well, back when complex was great.

miss the good ol days of anticipating a magazine issue release. going to b&n to pick up the latest copies

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Mon Feb-26-18 09:32 PM

10. "RE: i have boxes of the old issues in my basement, refuse to part "
In response to Reply # 8

What's wrong with Complex now? I never kept up with them so I can't compare early Complex with modern-day Complex. My guess is that it went downhill in the way VIBE went downhill?

--

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:15 AM

11. "i was wondering why i hadn't seen em in while in Barnes&Noble"
In response to Reply # 0

i hadn't seen it and was wondering if something like that had gone down. sorry to hear. Thanks for the heads-up though, i did go ahead and grab that last Prince issue, proper way to go out...

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed Feb-28-18 05:23 PM

14. "RE: i was wondering why i hadn't seen em in while in Barnes&Noble"
In response to Reply # 11

I ordered the Prince issue a couple days ago. They're supposed to be shipping out this week.

NOTE: It's my understanding they aren't going out of business; they're just switching their business model and a big part of that will be on-demand printing via Amazon.

It would be nice if they went digital and made available like mainstream 'zines.

--

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 11:22 AM

12. "This is only somewhat interesting"
In response to Reply # 0

because Wax Poetics recently re-released a couple of issues in hard cover format. I only wonder if they knew when they put those hard cover special editions out that they were going belly up. I understand folks that paid for subscriptions getting upset, but I have to imagine the money paid for those subscriptions fees were spent a very long time ago by Wax Poetics if they are deciding to close up shop.

I only wish I had bought the edition that has Hiatus Kaiyote on one of the covers, but that pretty menial in the scope of things.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Sat Mar-10-18 10:02 PM

15. "Has anyone received Issue No. 67 yet? It's SOLD OUT!"
In response to Reply # 0

These were supposed to ship out in late February.

I ordered my issue before the month ended and paid for Media Mail Rate, which usually takes a week to arrive. I never received a shipping notice, but I don't remember if I received one in the past.

Maybe I'm just impatient?

Someone is selling a copy on eBay...for $100. I'm amused that the seller is based in the same area as me (No, it ain't my listing): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wax-Poetics-Issue-67-The-Prince-Issue-Hardcover/173203579133?hash=item2853bce0fd:g:BIMAAOSwfTVaoU2g

I looked at that and wondered if they actually had the issue in their possession. Then, I visited the Waxpoetics website to remember I much I paid.

What did I discover?

Issue 67 has already sold out: https://store.waxpoetics.com/collections/new-issues/products/wax-poetics-issue-67-prince-edition

Here's the message on the site:

*** CURRENTLY ON BACK ORDER ***

*** Please check back next week or go to Amazon, who is now selling both hardcover and paperback editions. Japan, Australia, and South America, please order from Amazon. ***

Both editions are sold out on Amazon.

Them joints were $24.95 for a paperback and $34.95 for a hardcover on Waxpoetics.com. I paid for the paperback, and I'm mad I didn't buy two. I was smart enough to buy two copies of Essence when the Purple One graced the 'zine before his death. Sold that extra joint on eBay and saved the other for my collection.

Interesting.

--

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 09:02 PM

16. "nope, haven't gotten mine yet...."
In response to Reply # 15

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Tue Mar-13-18 10:23 PM

17. "RE: nope, haven't gotten mine yet...."
In response to Reply # 16

I emailed them today with my order information. I purchased my paperback copy on February 26.

Response: "Orders from around that time are in production now and should be shipping by the end of the week. You will receive a confirmation email once it ships. Thanks!"

--

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 08:53 AM

18. "got mine in the mail about a week ago."
In response to Reply # 15

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed Mar-14-18 09:15 AM

19. "RE: got mine in the mail about a week ago."
In response to Reply # 18

Did you read or browse it yet?

What do you think of the content? Better than Vol. 1? About the same? Not as good?

--

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Mon May-14-18 02:06 PM

20. "RE: Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-14-18 02:06 PM by BlakStaar

Both versions are back in stock, and they're on sale:
https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/wax-poetics-issue-67-prince-edition?variant=5418988503104

I still haven't read my copy. LOL.

--

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 10:33 PM

21. "RE: WaxPoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)"
In response to Reply # 0

It appears WaxPoetics recently reissued Issue No. 1.

"This is a near-exact replica reissue of Wax Poetics Issue One, originally published in December 2001. Some text has been corrected for accuracy, and there are a few Easter eggs, but generally it is identical to the original debut issue (warts and all). 80 pages."

The list of articles: https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/issue-one-reissue-paperback

I checked my inbox and I don't recall seeing an email from Wax Poetics since this spring so I'm curious to know when this first appeared in the online store.

In April, WP debuted a pilot episode of a new music/travel series called "Soul City." The first episode was about Chicago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRVSsDpOYDM

I thought it was pretty good.

In May, WP announced the Cultures of Soul LP Subscription Series where magazine readers were given the opportunity to subscribe. The series encompassed the release of 4 LPs over twelve months, with the first LP being the incredible "Septimus – We Want a Piece of the Pie LP."

Did anyone check that out?

Their website does not use dates for the articles so it's hard to keep up with their content frequency. I feel like things haven't been quite right since its founder, Andre Torres, left the company. ;-(

Le sigh.

--

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Nov-01-18 01:22 PM

22. "The need to re-release the Dilla issue."
In response to Reply # 21

I'd happily pay 18 for it.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7374 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 07:49 PM

27. "pretty sure I've still got mine in the shrink wrap it came packaged in."
In response to Reply # 22

Read the issue at B&N lol.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Wed May-22-19 10:13 PM

30. "RE: The need to re-release the Dilla issue."
In response to Reply # 22

Done.

They just announced the reissue of No. 17 (Dilla issue) today via the email newsletter:

Here ya go:
https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/wax-poetics-issue-17-paperback-reissue

It's $30 bucks.

It looks like two original printings of the Dilla issue went for $42 and $51, respectively, plus S&H, based on my eBay search of recently sold listings. (You can filter results for sold items).

Now, two eBay sellers, as of today, May 22, 2019, have original printings going for $49.99 and $165.99.

In recent years, I've seen the Dilla issue listed for under $30.

--

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 06:00 PM

23. "Waxpoetics' just debuted a new podcast..."
In response to Reply # 0

I just got an email announcing the inaugural episode for Waxpoetics’ new podcast, No Need for Alarm.

“For the inaugural edition of the Wax Poetics Podcast, hosts David Ma and Nate LeBlanc interview Del the Funky Homosapien about his classic 1993 sophomore album No Need for Alarm, which celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary this year.

The podcast, which was recorded at Del’s home studio in the Bay Area, features the exclusive track “Smoked-Out Charlie,” a recording made circa 1991 to ‘92 from Del’s archives.”
Read more here:
http://www.waxpoetics.com/blog/news/news-blog/no-need-alarm-wax-poetics-podcast/

Apparently upcoming episodes will “ deep-dive into albums and artists on the Wax Poetics spectrum.”

--

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
678 posts
Fri Nov-30-18 07:00 PM

24. "Learned of this via Del's FB page"
In response to Reply # 23

Sounds like we have a new member of the quality Hip Hop podcast club. Much needed and having Del and that album as the opener is promising.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 05:31 PM

25. "RE: Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)"
In response to Reply # 0

my girlfriend just specially ordered this magazine for me last week as a birthday gift. She is so GOOD to me and the BEST girlfriend that Ive ever had.

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Tue Dec-11-18 05:42 PM

26. "RE: Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)"
In response to Reply # 25

Awww. That’s sweet!

--

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 11:37 PM

28. "Another hardcover reissue: No. 65"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-07-19 11:41 PM by BlakStaar

It looks like WP reissued the ATCQ/Davie Bowie edition, too. Unlike the Issue No. 1 reissue, it's available in hardcover.

https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/issue-65-a-tribe-called-quest-b-w-david-bowie-hardcover

I don't recall seeing an email about this so I'm wondering how they're promoting these reissues... I really miss the 'zine in its original format.

What music zines are y'all reading these days?

--

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 11:16 AM

29. "Not reading nothin...smh"
In response to Reply # 28
Tue Jan-08-19 11:16 AM by tully_blanchard

But I did find some my old Elemental issues the other week

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

https://astackofwax.com/

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

The Greatest Story (N)ever Told (finished)

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=s

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu May-23-19 03:10 PM

31. "RE: Waxpoetics' new biz plan & Prince edition (Issue No. 67)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-23-19 03:11 PM by Strangeways

my girlfriend gifted my copy as a birthday present last year.

BlakStaar
1261 posts
Fri Dec-20-19 08:28 PM

32. "Two new issues fa da 20-20"
In response to Reply # 0

I didn't see it coming. I honestly thought it was the end for Waxpoetics but they're back with new content since Issue No. 67, the second (and posthumous) Prince issue. As longtime WP fans know, the zine was heavily focused on reprints (read: no new content) since they switched to an on-demand format, but apparently the publication is back "in its original format, size, and structure," at least for this Special Europe Edition.

1. Issue 68 with Digable Planets and P.M. Dawn
https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/wax-poetics-issue-68-digable-planets-b-w-p-m-dawn
The pre-order is available now. Ships in January 2020. P.M. Dawn seems like an odd choice for a Waxpoetics cover but I guess...

2. Wax Poetics Europe 001 Special Edition
This is mainly a reprint/compilation but there are two new articles about the London Jazz Renaissance and Acid Jazz Records. The official WP website says its sold out already as does its partner website, which was the official seller. This one somehow flew under my radar because it came out this summer (?) and I didn't know about it until today's email. I checked my email account and WP never promoted it via email until today (12/20/2019). I'm a bit pissed, to be honest. I did some searching and found inexpensive copies for sale on UK sites Boomkat and Phonica. There's also a pricer copy on eBay. https://www.rushhour.nl/record/magazines/wax-poetics-special-european-collectors-edition
https://store.waxpoetics.com/products/wax-poetics-europe-001-special-edition

/nm

--

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sat Dec-28-19 04:06 PM

33. "I don't know if I should applaud or slap them lol."
In response to Reply # 32
Sat Dec-28-19 04:08 PM by phemom

Like it already drops on a slow schedule and (seemingly) just hanging on and the best they could do for a cover is PM Dawn??? It's like it's dope to keep it so WaxPo...but at the same time?!?

It's like they don't wanna sell.....that said I just ordered lol.

With Wax Po barely survivng and RBMA dead it's no country for the fringe these days.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Lobby The Lesson topic #3001827 Previous topic | Next topic