Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3000478

Subject: "What rapper has the most active descendants working today?" Previous topic | Next topic
beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 05:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What rapper has the most active descendants working today?"

Lil Wayne

Yeah, I'm cheating on my own question but man, dreads, mumbling, oversexed, drug usage/references, mixtape dropping, autotune, tats, etc, etc.

The yin & yang imo are Chance & Young Thug. I think 80's on back we have more of a peer/critic relationship with Wayne while 90's going forward will have more of a fan/role model point of view. You can be a fan regardless of generation but we know younger cats are going to be more influenced.

Did we ever really get a Jay-Z or Nas heir? Joey Bada$$ gets his props for his nostalgic and boombap leanings but I feel like dude is really his own man.

Shiny suit era gave way to crunk and 50 was the last of thug-hicans for a minute, and Kast blew the doors open for Atlanta.

DMX & Ja Rule were probably the most accused of biting Pac but that was mostly aesthetics, their music was too east coast to say they were fully biting Pac outside of the image. Maybe thematically too but I'll argue no on that lol

Kanye's clones are mostly in sound, and between how much people feel Cudi was involved that's debatable because a lot of these young guys site Cudi as an influence in interviews.

West coast cats like Hopsin & Tyler say Eminem was a big influence, but your big White dudes like Mac Miller, G-Eazy, or even Post Malone don't have a brush of Shady imo. Shit, I dont think Yelawolf sounds like Em other than the voice a lil bit just based on him being a southern cat.

So what say you Lesson? What rapper seems to have the most influence in todays signed and working artists?

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This is true. Jay-Z had the most last decade, but there wasn't as much
Jan 18th 2018
The Games amalgam style always throws me
Jan 18th 2018
You speaking strictly *direct* descendents ?
Jan 18th 2018
nah it can be indirect
Jan 18th 2018
Drugged up Lil Wayne
Jan 18th 2018
RE: hahahaha funny shit NFM
Jan 18th 2018
you ain't lying lol
Jan 18th 2018
no contest.
Jan 22nd 2018
Based God. n/m
Jan 18th 2018
nah man elaborate
Jan 18th 2018
Gucci
Jan 19th 2018
Gucci clones lol
Jan 25th 2018
MC Paul Barman and... oh wait, I thought you said deodorants?
Jan 22nd 2018
its inarguably wayne
Jan 24th 2018
RE: What rapper has the most active descendants working today?
Jan 24th 2018
the impact of jay z's flow is easy to forget because his own sound
Jan 25th 2018
Which in part is a result of Gillie Da Kid being a Jay disciple...
Jan 25th 2018
Interesting. I'd like to see examples of pre-Jay flow versus post-Jay
Jan 26th 2018
      I mean his Prefix tape where rapping over black album beats
Jan 27th 2018
Kanye & Wayne
Jan 27th 2018
mid 00's mixtape weezy and 808's era ye/cudi
Jan 31st 2018

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 06:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "This is true. Jay-Z had the most last decade, but there wasn't as much "
In response to Reply # 0

of a direct correlation as with Wayne.

Like...you can hear Jay's influence on folks like The Game when he had those bars on "Westside story"...."been there, sold crack, got jacked, got shot, came back, jumped on Dre's back!" which was a flow/delivery I heard Budden use a lot as well. I feel that came straight from Jay.

And Wayne himself got a LOT from Jay around 04-05, Carter 1 era. He completely used Jay's style on "Earthquake"...."bet he a lame, bet he ain't Lil Wayne...NOPE!"

Of course, folks like Angelous didn't last or even get started enough to last, but he was one of a few Jay clones.

Wayne for sure has the most direct descendants, and the way he used autotune on "Dey know" remix is still like an extremely common style at this point.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

beatnik
2950 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "The Games amalgam style always throws me"
In response to Reply # 1

I couldn't say he was a Jay clone directly, getting started with rap so late I always felt like he was a fan who could "rap by ear" and just had that talent for emulating whoever he wants to, "only Compton nigga with a New York state of mind"

but I can see it, I always had a hard time needling out Jay-Z biters honestly, for me it was just hard to differentiate between east coast style in general or if they were following a Hov blueprint, pun intended

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 08:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "You speaking strictly *direct* descendents ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cause if not, I'd say Dre has the longest tentacles in the industry in terms of offspring of offspring.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

beatnik
2950 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 09:30 PM

4. "nah it can be indirect"
In response to Reply # 3

and Snoop, Shady, 50, and Kendrick are definitely a good argument if that's where you were going with it

that's why I mentioned Kanye & Cudi for the indirect side because I've seen plenty of commentary on how Kanye made conscious rap more popular and made vulnerability in lyrics acceptable, plenty of people would say Drake is on the Kanye line

just to be devils advocate the argument on that point is Dre's people are more dependent on his production and clout than his stylings as a MC since most of his proteges tend to ghostwrite for him in obvious fashion

but yeah, it can be indirect, like I said above, I never been good at spotting Hov clones so point some shit out and enlighten me lol

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 09:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Drugged up Lil Wayne"
In response to Reply # 0

baby gremlins everywhere.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 10:04 PM

6. "RE: hahahaha funny shit NFM"
In response to Reply # 5

beatnik
2950 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 11:12 PM

8. "you ain't lying lol"
In response to Reply # 5

I wish the prolific/clever side of Wayne was the heavier influence but they have taken to the worst side quite a bit

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Jan-22-18 08:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "no contest."
In response to Reply # 5

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 11:07 PM

7. "Based God. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

beatnik
2950 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 11:16 PM

9. "nah man elaborate"
In response to Reply # 7

I've never listened to a whole Lil B project but I know dude is popular, I've read/heard he has a big influence but having not checked too much of his work I couldn't make any correlations

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 06:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Gucci"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

beatnik
2950 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 11:15 PM

17. "Gucci clones lol"
In response to Reply # 10

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Jan-22-18 01:10 AM

11. "MC Paul Barman and... oh wait, I thought you said deodorants?"
In response to Reply # 0

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://thisisbooksmusic.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i60.tinypic.com/a59mp3.jpg

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:00 PM

13. "its inarguably wayne"
In response to Reply # 0

n/m

__

fairweather

PolarbearToenails
Charter member
11197 posts
Wed Jan-24-18 11:44 PM

14. "RE: What rapper has the most active descendants working today?"
In response to Reply # 0

It's Wayne by a country mile. That said, I think Wayne is in part a descendant of Jay. The essential quality to me is the effortlessness of the flow. Even when things are complicated, attention isn't called to it, everything is breezy. Definitely other stuff going on with Wayne at his peak, but Jay was a big contributor.

-
Bullseye with Jesse Thorn
A public radio show about things that are awesome.
http://www.maximumfun.org
"This is the kind of show people listen to in a more perfect world." - McSweeney's

dba_BAD
Charter member
14873 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 02:02 AM

15. "the impact of jay z's flow is easy to forget because his own sound"
In response to Reply # 14

gets lost in its echo

it was so swiftly and thoroughly digested into the common approach to rapping - it colored the form for almost everyone who practiced it. His flow (or aspirational impressions of it) became so typical so quickly, that we forget it even came from him

jay would be an easy answer to the op's question, from when he blew up until the 2010s

wayne was a product of jay like most good rappers were a product of jay

but wayne's push against and reinvention of the basics of the form - a push which was entirely his own - led to whatever it is we're doing now

__

fairweather

self_ish
Charter member
2117 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 12:44 PM

16. "Which in part is a result of Gillie Da Kid being a Jay disciple..."

Gillie was in the mix when Wayne made his "best rapper alive" transition, and he definitely played a role in his development.

==================================================
Them That Do... out now via HiPNOTT Records. Produced by Small Pro, featuring Georgia Anne Muldrow, Muhsinah, John Robinson, Miles Bonny and more: https://hipnottrecords.bandcamp.com/album/them-that-do

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Fri Jan-26-18 12:14 PM

18. "Interesting. I'd like to see examples of pre-Jay flow versus post-Jay"

influenced flow.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Sat Jan-27-18 03:45 PM

20. "I mean his Prefix tape where rapping over black album beats"
In response to Reply # 18

made me say damn... he's reached a new level surpassing the squad tapes.

the jay influence was by then pretty heavy, not just rhyming over his beats.

Gone was the Nola: Block is Hot, Lights Out, 500 Degreez flow.

I'd say all the mixtapes after Prefix and Carter I, II, and III
were some variation of Jay influence from Vol. 2 through Black Album styles
though Wayne definitely made it his own.

Wayne is definitely the Jay-Z of the next generation of rappers that popped up.

From Kendrick and Drake to Young Thug and all the Lil's.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Thee Phantom
Member since Jul 18th 2005
2774 posts
Sat Jan-27-18 09:17 AM

19. "Kanye & Wayne"
In response to Reply # 0

All this shit sounds like even more depressed & drugged up versions of 808 &Hesrtbreaks to me.

IG: @illharmonic.orchestra
Youtube: www.youtube.com/theephantom

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Jan-31-18 09:00 PM

21. "mid 00's mixtape weezy and 808's era ye/cudi"
In response to Reply # 0

shaped the sound of not just rap but popular music in general for the last 10+ years.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Lobby The Lesson topic #3000478 Previous topic | Next topic