this reminds me, anybody got the Stephanie Mills remix Tip did
Jan 14th 2018
I remember when this vid came out...
Jan 14th 2018
Is Q-Tip still "with" GOOD music? Think the track he produced
Jan 15th 2018
I just read the Soulquarians oral history yesterday
Jan 18th 2018
That story could've been 100x longer and I'd love every word.
Jan 18th 2018
Why does ?uest always treat Comm like his pesky lil brother ?
Jan 19th 2018
      That last one is rough lol
Jan 19th 2018
           LOL yea totally. But I also find it interesting that ?uest gave Erykah ....
Jan 19th 2018

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 05:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I watch this at least 4 times a year..lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Bottoms up....and the devil laughs..

http://soundcloud.com/rayandersonjr

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 10:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Lol, exactly."
In response to Reply # 1

Just continually sitting in amazement.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
680 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 07:35 PM

2. "Consequence recorded a track with this beat as wel"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/AcTO_9eGBoU

JFrost1117
23876 posts
Sat Jan-13-18 07:20 AM

4. "Another favorite old video I come back to:"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude remaking "Check the Rhime" on an ASR:

https://youtu.be/kyrFwNcy1pY

maro
Charter member

5. "that was fun to watch"
In response to Reply # 4

A-L really broke it down too. very nice.

werd.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Jan-14-18 10:47 AM

6. "this reminds me, anybody got the Stephanie Mills remix Tip did"
In response to Reply # 0

that Cons recorded and put up on his channel? I haven't been able to find the video but that remix was dope as hell.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Sun Jan-14-18 04:36 PM

7. "I remember when this vid came out..."
In response to Reply # 0

I feel like it was when he was doing his G.O.O.D. Friday releases... Shit was dope then, and dope now... Thanks for posting it again!

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
680 posts
Mon Jan-15-18 12:04 AM

8. "Is Q-Tip still "with" GOOD music? Think the track he produced"
In response to Reply # 7

on Pusha T's last album was the only related thing he's done for them, right?

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 03:36 PM

9. "I just read the Soulquarians oral history yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

http://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2015/06/the-soulquarians-at-electric-lady

great read altogether but what interested me is how 15 described how the Vibe Article kind of killed the vibe and then people gravitated and clustered around Kanye. I want to hear more about how and why that happened.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24413 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 04:09 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "That story could've been 100x longer and I'd love every word."
In response to Reply # 9

I need so many more details. Haha.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Brew
24413 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 11:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Why does ?uest always treat Comm like his pesky lil brother ?"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Jan-19-18 11:34 AM by Brew

LOL ...

(1) QUESTLOVE
First up to bat was Common. Common was like, “I’m just trying to get some scraps off of the table. Even I know the scraps off of the table are better than anything that anybody is doing out here. What other people are doing out here sounds regular, but the shit y’all are doing feels futuristic and urgent, and I want a piece of it.”

(2) But what Common didn’t know was that D’Angelo said to me, “Yo, man. I can’t let him have that funk track y’all did. Common doesn’t know what to do with that song. That’s the funk I need. You know good and well that’s the funk I need. Common doesn’t know what to do with that funk.” So I had to broker a peace deal. I said, “If you give him that song, he can take “Chicken Grease,” and you can have “Geto Heaven.”

(3) QUESTLOVE
I remember that Common was going to audition for this hip hop opera movie called Carmen that Beyoncé was starring in. All day long, he was saying he was going to get the lead role, and she was going to be his leading lady. But he ended up losing out on the role to Mos Def. I remember we were making fun of him that night. I remember James Poyser kept playing a refrain from Destiny Child’s “Bills, Bills, Bills,” and I was playing a refrain from “Umi Says” as a joke. After three or four minutes, it was jokey-jokes, then after seven minutes, Bilal came walking in and started singing. We were like, “This is dope as shit.” When people listen to “Sometimes,” they ask, “Why does the beginning sound like “Bills, Bills, Bills?” Well, that was just the premise of the song. We were fucking around and making fun of Common for losing the role to Mos Def. In the process, we wrote one of Bilal’s most famous songs.

(4) QUESTLOVE
I always knew that James Poyser and I were born in January. It was really J. Dilla that made me pay attention. One day, Dilla said, “Wait a minute. I was born on February 7th.” Then D’Angelo said, “I was born on February 11th.” Then James said, “I was born in January, and I’m an Aquarian, too!” I said, “Well, I was born on January 20th.” Also, the late great guitarist of The Soultronics, Jef Lee Johnson said, “I’m an Aquarian, too.” Then Common and Erykah came in, and Erykah said, “I’m a week late for being an Aquarian. I’m a Pisces, but at least I was born in late February.” She was a week off from being an Aquarian. Common didn’t want to be left out. He said, “I was born in March. I’m like you guys, so I’m sort of like an Aquarian.” We realized six or seven of us were Aquarians. We felt like we were a unit.

JFrost1117
23876 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 01:25 PM

12. "That last one is rough lol"
In response to Reply # 11

March is neither Jan. nor Feb. That reads like he would’ve tacked himself on no matter what sign he was.

Brew
24413 posts
Fri Jan-19-18 03:59 PM

13. "LOL yea totally. But I also find it interesting that ?uest gave Erykah ...."
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Jan-19-18 04:00 PM by Brew

... a pass, didn't call her out for "not wanting to be left out" even though he noted that she ain't an Aquarius either. But he still roasted Comm for it.

I kinda want to hear from ?uest himself about this haha. Cause these aren't the only examples I've seen where ?uest, at least from the way I read it, tossed some subtle shade Comm's way. I recall him commenting slyly about his drinking habits. And another example where he called him, like, a "pathetic puppy" or something like that when he was referencing Comm's pursuit of Badu.

Lobby The Lesson topic #3000226 Previous topic | Next topic