Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #3000223

Subject: "Meshell Ndegeocello Previews New Covers LP - RS swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Meshell Ndegeocello Previews New Covers LP - RS swipe"

(soundcloud link in the link)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/meshell-ndegeocello-previews-new-covers-lp-with-prince-song-w515356

Meshell Ndegeocello Previews New Covers LP With Prince Song

Singer-songwriter Meshell Ndegeocello unveiled a cover of Prince's "Sometimes It Snows in April" from her upcoming covers LP, 'Tender Love.'

By Jon Blistein

Singer-songwriter Meshell Ndegeocello unveiled a gorgeous cover of Prince's "Sometimes It Snows in April," the first offering from her upcoming covers LP, Ventriloquism.

Ndegeocello puts a unique yet faithful spin on Prince's Parade ballad, opening her version with a rumbling tangle of bass and guitar that delicately unravels into the melody. Ndegeocello delivers a enthralling vocal performance, with her rich voice jumping between registers as each resonant syllable rounded off with a hush.

"I had to make something of him, for him," Ndegeocello tells Rolling Stone of her Prince cover. "I've made so much because of him. I still can't believe he's not on the planet and this was as close to closure as I'd get."

Ventriloquism is available to pre-order. The record will also feature covers of TLC's "Waterfalls," George Clinton's "Atomic Dog 2017," Janet Jackson's "Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)," Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" and Sade's "Smooth Operator."

Ndegeocello also shared her cover of Force MDs' song "Tender Love," in which she flips the R&B ballad into an acoustic folk tune tinged with a harmonica that unmistakably recalls Neil Young.

"I recorded this album in California and I was driving around with Abe Rounds, my friend and the drummer I play with, and we were listening to (Young's record) Harvest every day," Ndegeocello says. "We'd go into the studio to record these tunes and it was dissonant. 'Tender Love' reminds me of life in D.C., as a young person, and I wanted to bring the two together. I like the genre-bending, I like making something new by way of another old gem."
Ventriloquism Track List

1. Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam feat. Full Force – "I Wonder if I Take You Home"

2. Al B. Sure! – "Nite and Day"

3. Prince – "Sometimes it Snows in April"

4. TLC – "Waterfalls"

5. George Clinton – "Atomic Dog 2017"

6. Ralph Tresvant – "Sensitivity"

7. Janet Jackson – "Funny How Time Flies (When You're Having Fun)"

8. Force MDs – "Tender Love"

9. The System – "Don't Disturb This Groove"

10. Tina Turner – "Private Dancer"

11. Sade – "Smooth Operator"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
just listened to Tender Love
Jan 12th 2018
It's a great cover
Jan 17th 2018
Will be buying this
Jan 12th 2018
I am here for this
Jan 13th 2018
RE: Meshell Ndegeocello Previews New Covers LP - RS swipe
Jan 17th 2018
god, i hate Waterfalls.
Jan 18th 2018
ive been a meshell stan since plantation lullabies and
Jan 25th 2018
Waterfalls video
Feb 24th 2018
i still hate it.
Feb 25th 2018
RE: Waterfalls video
Feb 27th 2018

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 01:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "just listened to Tender Love"
In response to Reply # 0

cant wait for this album.

Meshell is highly underrated

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Wed Jan-17-18 07:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "It's a great cover"
In response to Reply # 1

She really remade the song in her image.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Fri Jan-12-18 02:40 PM

2. "Will be buying this "
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

shutupneff
Member since Mar 28th 2007
332 posts
Sat Jan-13-18 03:06 PM

3. "I am here for this"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't think of an artist I'd want a cover album from more than Meshell. Even when she was in her prime, and her original material was world-beating, her ability to make any song her own stood out.

-----------

https://soundcloud.com/shutupneff/sets/planetary-invazion

drhodes777
Member since Jul 04th 2013
27 posts
Wed Jan-17-18 01:53 PM

4. "RE: Meshell Ndegeocello Previews New Covers LP - RS swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

She did a couple of shows back in about 2011 of all Prince covers. There used to be videos of some of them on Youtube. Does anybody here recall those? Better yet, does anyone hav any of the videos or audio from them?

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Jan-18-18 04:20 AM

6. "god, i hate Waterfalls."
In response to Reply # 0

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Thu Jan-25-18 10:10 PM

7. "ive been a meshell stan since plantation lullabies and"
In response to Reply # 0

to me she can do no wrong, this is cool, but its time for her to come home to the FUNK.

dude

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Feb-24-18 10:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "Waterfalls video"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/R2MHkGmzt-Y

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Sun Feb-25-18 01:36 PM

9. "i still hate it."
In response to Reply # 8

wish she'd covered something else.

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Tue Feb-27-18 06:40 PM

10. "RE: Waterfalls video"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue Feb-27-18 06:42 PM by BlakStaar

I never really cared for "Waterfalls" so I can't really get into this, even as a reimagined cover. It's the only song on the tracklist that I never liked.

I look forward to checking out the other tracks, tho.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Lobby The Lesson topic #3000223 Previous topic | Next topic