Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2999973

Subject: "quantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10457 posts
Sat Jan-06-18 12:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"quantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history"

Ok, random question but I figured someone hanging out here might know: are there any studies or projects out there that have attempted to quantify and analyze the types of samples used in hip hop, and how sampling trends have changed over time?

I am thinking particularly in terms of genre. In other words, any sort of research that has considered, for instance, dominant genres represented via sampling in any given moment of hip hop history? Example: at such and such a time, genres A and B were the most common sample sources, but during this next period, Genre C became a notable influence. But I'll take any sort of quantified sample analysis you've got.

Again, random question - but thanks in advance.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
probably not but it'd make a great grad project
Jan 07th 2018
but genre wise, the most sampled sources have always been...
Jan 07th 2018
rock & jazz belong on that list
Jan 08th 2018
This would be amazing. I think sampling has changed so much since
Jan 08th 2018
92-96 that secret squirrel super extra obscure $ 500 records era
Jan 08th 2018
at one point i wanted to write a thesis on sampling and region
Jan 08th 2018
I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each regio...
Jan 09th 2018
      RE: I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each r...
Jan 09th 2018
The NYC sound:
Jan 08th 2018
RE: quantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history
Jan 09th 2018
I was just thinking about embarking on a creative project this yr
Jan 09th 2018

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Sun Jan-07-18 06:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "probably not but it'd make a great grad project"
In response to Reply # 0

I imagine who sampled it could provide most of the data. I'd actually just love a book on sample sources on a timeline.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

PROMO
Charter member
30789 posts
Sun Jan-07-18 07:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "but genre wise, the most sampled sources have always been..."
In response to Reply # 0

funk, soul/r&B and disco.

so, a study like that wouldn't be too interesting i guess.

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Jan-08-18 07:12 PM

7. "rock & jazz belong on that list"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Jan-08-18 07:12 PM by howardlloyd

way before disco

n/m

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51981 posts
Mon Jan-08-18 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "This would be amazing. I think sampling has changed so much since"
In response to Reply # 0

the beginning, that we've forgotten how many short lived sampling trends there were.

The hugest shift had to happen somewhere around 1990, or 91, and I've heard that's when the sampling laws changed. You didn't hear as many James Brown samples, or vocal samples overall, and you didn't hear the layered style of sampling as much with 6-8 samples on one song...you would start hearing 2-3 instead, and sometimes only one sample.

The 92-93 era...when Jazz and Jazzy-Soul was sampled the most in the mainstream. "Mass appeal," "Rebirth of slick," "U-N-I-T-Y," "Cantaloop," "Electric relaxation," and several others.

In the late 90's, remember when all those symphonic type songs were sampled? "Simon says" would be the biggest example, but also "The Next episode" and tracks like "Money, power respect" had strings that were dominant.

Same period of time, "Hard knock life" had a few other artists sampling old Broadway shows, usually with Annie-type voices? That also meant "Get out" from Busta, and Jay even tried again with "Anything."

97, when it was the Bad Boy Jiggy era, and they just took full 80's tracks that hadn't really been used, and didn't really add much to them. Even beyond the full 97-98 Bad Boy catalog, Jay "I love the dough," Rampage "Take it to the streets," and several others used this formula. Production wise, that was the laziest time, but it still made for great party music.

I gotta revisit some music and I can add even more to this.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Jan-08-18 12:35 PM

4. "92-96 that secret squirrel super extra obscure $ 500 records era"
In response to Reply # 3

I forget which magazine but I remember Kool Keith ranting on some
"only 10 dudes care about who such and such played the drums on the 1972 RAMP studio outtake going for $ 400 at the Roosevelt, FOH girls just wanna dance"

Never mind the absurdity of Keith advocating for club records, he had a point

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8044 posts
Mon Jan-08-18 04:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "at one point i wanted to write a thesis on sampling and region"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-08-18 04:40 PM by bearfield

to try to contextualize why NYC didn't sound like LA, which didn't sound like houston, etc., in the 90s. my theory (and this is not a wild notion) was that different records (as in vinyl) didn't get evenly distributed in the 60s and 70s. there were more jazz records in NYC, and more frankie beverly & maze albums in houston. it's a theory that is probably flimsy as heck and may be impossible to research (where would one even begin to look for sales of LPs by region from 66-74?) but it still bounces around in the back of my mind

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51981 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 02:23 AM

8. "I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each regio..."
In response to Reply # 5

Just favors certain styles of music more, and it shows in what's made.

Like even Organized Noise, who rarely sampled, just had a sound that reminiscent of what Georgia folks grew up hearing...that Soul with a touch of Funk.

But for L.A., yea, they basically sampled and interpolated the music that was biggest here. NY liked Funk to an extent, but we loved it way more, hence why a NY Funk song like "Funkin for Jamaica" got sampled way more times by L.A. artists. Same with Parliament, who I figure would claim Jersey. The Midwest/Ohio was the home of Funk, so you see the Midwest artists using a similar sound to what the West had, such as Dayton Family and MC Breed.

The Bay used to sample more 80's music than 70's or early 80's Funk like L.A., so I wonder if they were just deeper into that sound...the Loose Ends, Club Nouveau type sound.

NY was always heavy into Soul and Disco, so it shows why so much of their music came from that sound in comparison to the West.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 06:20 PM

11. "RE: I never thought of this. I figured the main reason is because each r..."
In response to Reply # 8

>Like even Organized Noise, who rarely sampled, just had a
>sound that reminiscent of what Georgia folks grew up
>hearing...that Soul with a touch of Funk.

man 90% of the 1st 3 albums were samples

cats be sleeping on ON

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Mon Jan-08-18 05:54 PM

6. "The NYC sound:"
In response to Reply # 0

Late 80's - 1990: James Brown and Friends, Ultimate Breaks & Beats

1991 - 1996: 1995 Wall of Fame records (http://www.forumusic.co.uk/wof_95.html), jazz from all eras

1997 - 1999: Korg Triton

2000 - 2004: soul

2005 - current day: whatever sound is coming out of Atlanta

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7005 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 11:54 AM

9. "RE: quantifying sample sources over the course over hip hop history"
In response to Reply # 0

Would be dope to do...

You could probably use the whosampled database for a starting point...

Run a nice little program..

It would ened up being more revealing than you think imo... especially the 90s pre sample clearance laws... so many stabs, vocals and one hits from non soul/funk records

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

MeshaMeesh
Member since Jan 06th 2014
842 posts
Tue Jan-09-18 12:04 PM

10. "I was just thinking about embarking on a creative project this yr"
In response to Reply # 0

This might be it. It would be a great way for me to fall back in love with music and “digital digging”. It probably won’t be as extensive as I’d want, but it could serve as a solid intro project.

"I'm twenty-two, catch
In the prime of my life,
I don't have time to be a wife"

https://twitter.com/MeeshUniVerSoul
https://instagram.com/soul.con.fusion/

"She was on that tip about stoppin' the violence
About my people she was teachin' me..."

Lobby The Lesson topic #2999973 Previous topic | Next topic