Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2999336

Subject: "Was it wise for Count Bass D to change his production style after " Previous topic | Next topic
micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 02:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Was it wise for Count Bass D to change his production style after "

the commercial failure of "Pre-Life Crisis"?

I love boom-bap, but I didn't need that from him. I've had a hard time getting into anything after "Art For Sale".

I do see why he switched up, but would he have been better off if he kept pushing with his original sound? The real problem is he came out in an era where conversational style rapping wasn't hot. I don't think the problem was the music. 20 something years later, those tracks still sound unique & amazing.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
We don't get BegBorrowSteel if he doesn't switch it up.
Dec 18th 2017
Yeah, I have to disagree
Dec 18th 2017
His only real straight "boom-bap" releases came in like '98-'99
Dec 18th 2017
In the long run, I'd say yes. I like that he keeps evolving.
Dec 18th 2017
He'd be even more revered if that happened.
Dec 18th 2017
His overall talent calls for something greater than this. I remember
Dec 18th 2017
RE: Was it wise for Count Bass D to change his production style after
Dec 21st 2017

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 02:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "We don't get BegBorrowSteel if he doesn't switch it up."
In response to Reply # 0

That album alone makes me thankful for the transition. Listened to that on headphones for the first time in a while recently - totally forgot how good some of those beats sound. DIY mixing for sure, but such a warm feel.

He has an album called Here Comes The Neighborhood sitting on the shelf. That one is apparently a return to the Pre Life Crisis sound. Fingers crossed it sees a release someday.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 03:18 PM

2. "Yeah, I have to disagree"
In response to Reply # 0

I've lost track of dude the past 5 years or so I have no idea what he's sounding like nowadays, but my absolute favorites of his are Dwight Spitz, BEGBORROWSTEEL, L7, Some Music Pt. 2, Act Your Waist Size.

I like Pre-Life Crisis and Art For Sale and respect the artistry, but I prefer the more sample-based albums or where it's a mix of samples with his playing. He was always really creative with how and what he sampled.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "His only real straight "boom-bap" releases came in like '98-'99"
In response to Reply # 0

The "Violatin'" and "On the Reels" 12"s, to be exact.

Otherwise, as said by others, I like the mix of samples/live instrumentation that he used through the early to mid '00s. As much as I enjoy "Art For Sale." "Dwight Spitz," "Act Your Waist Size," and "Begborrowsteel" will always be favorites. And still incorporate elements of his early work.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 04:48 PM

4. "In the long run, I'd say yes. I like that he keeps evolving."
In response to Reply # 0

I think his change-up post Pre-Life Crisis was necessary. You'll read in interviews that the move was directly because Pre-Life didn't sell well.

Now, thankfully, his career has lasted 20+ years and he's explored so many different sounds from Art For Sale to sample-heavy (Dwight Spitz up to say, L7) to his latest full length Instantly New which has a sample-free, synth heavy sound.

But your question makes me wonder what the alternate timeline would look like; what if Pre-Life did really well and he stayed in that live instruments lane? Would we be talking about Count Bass D in 2017?

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 05:19 PM

5. "He'd be even more revered if that happened."
In response to Reply # 4

>But your question makes me wonder what the alternate timeline
>would look like; what if Pre-Life did really well and he
>stayed in that live instruments lane? Would we be talking
>about Count Bass D in 2017?

Playing instruments live in concert, rapping, singing, hitting the drum machine from time to time...it's something he still does at his shows but the Dwight Spitz record was a game-changer as far as his career goes IMO. DOOM and Edan features, a raw and different approach to sampling, creative rhymes. He reached a new audience with that record and I'd bet that most of them still keep up with his music in 2017.

The selfish part of me wishes he was still in Nashville, playing weird gigs with the Wooten brothers and Futureman on a random Tuesday or whatever. He's had quite the journey though, and I think his chops as a musician have kept him relevant in the grand scheme of things.

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Dec-18-17 07:33 PM

6. "His overall talent calls for something greater than this. I remember "
In response to Reply # 4

>I think his change-up post Pre-Life Crisis was necessary.
>You'll read in interviews that the move was directly because
>Pre-Life didn't sell well.
>
>Now, thankfully, his career has lasted 20+ years and he's
>explored so many different sounds from Art For Sale to
>sample-heavy (Dwight Spitz up to say, L7) to his latest full
>length Instantly New which has a sample-free, synth heavy
>sound.
>
>But your question makes me wonder what the alternate timeline
>would look like; what if Pre-Life did really well and he
>stayed in that live instruments lane? Would we be talking
>about Count Bass D in 2017?

buying that mini-documentary that he put out. It gave me the impression that dude was struggling, and it made little to no mention of his family.

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Thu Dec-21-17 04:45 PM

7. "RE: Was it wise for Count Bass D to change his production style after "
In response to Reply # 0

I need to buy these old Count Bass albums again.
I think I only heard Dwight Spitz and Act Your Waist Size
also the stuff with DJ Pocket was good too

Lobby The Lesson topic #2999336 Previous topic | Next topic