Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2999004

Subject: "Electic Circus's 15th Anniversary was December 10th" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 09:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Electic Circus's 15th Anniversary was December 10th"

Wiki Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Circus_(album)

I went looking in the Archives for posts to link here but they must have been lost in the Archive Loss some years back. Many of the classic posts that were here are gone.

But for those that weren't here back then, this album had to be up there with Stankonia and I Am as the most closely debated albums here at that time.

Here's a review from Pitchfork that is generous: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/common-electric-circus/

My own sense of the album was that it was daring but *just* missed that mark of being a true classic. To Pimp A Butterly, at least musically, owes some of its ambition to this album. They both highlighted as aspect of Black music that oftentimes gets overlooked - psychedelia in EC's case and 'free jazz' for TPAB.

The rock / funk elements were interesting but I felt the musical concepts were better than the execution in many cases. I know folks like to talk about Common's lyricism on this album. But while he wasn't spitting flames like he did on Like Water for Chocolate, I felt the lyrical themes were more mature. For instance Between Me, You, and Liberation is one of the most wide-ranging songs, in hip-hop, on forms of love and relationships that are 'overlooked' or taboo. Like being pulled between love of a family member and confusion about sexuality. I always admired Common for doing a 180 from some of the homophobia he mentioned on LWFC. Like a lot of this album, it was a bold leap.

The song that came together for me was I Am Music. Yes, it was tailor-made to be a single, but it was a fresh take of using jazz in hip-hop. I guess a song pulling from the Big Band era could have been corny, but I Am Music had enough of an edge to it. The lyrics were, to me, well done.

But that's not to say that alot of this album isn't really good. I just wanted the virtuosity to match the ambition. That being said, the producers really were paving their own path here. Dilla and the rest of the Soulquarians were on to something but it's hard to both innovate and perfect something at the same time.

It's hard to say that this album was ahead of its time because the evolution of music didn't bend towards avant-garde music. It went in the opposite direction for the most part. But I think the reception of this record has gotten better over the years.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
album ahead of it's time. shoulda had a video for I Am Music.
Dec 11th 2017
always appreciated it for what it was
Dec 12th 2017
Tend to agree. I loved it from day 1 but ...
Dec 12th 2017
yeah there's def some slum village delivery influence on lw4c
Dec 12th 2017
      Yep. Thought I put SV in my parenthetical, meant to.
Dec 12th 2017
I referred EC to all the millennials in my family
Dec 13th 2017
I still listen to this album
Dec 13th 2017

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 10:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "album ahead of it's time. shoulda had a video for I Am Music."
In response to Reply # 0

a Harlem jazz era black and white vid.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 01:56 AM

2. "always appreciated it for what it was"
In response to Reply # 0

and it does tend to age well. it had a similar structure as LWFC, but different sound aesthetics. so it was both familiar and not.
there are many, many heaters on this album.
"Star 69" was always my shit.
the why-isnt-this-shit-a-single "I Am Music".
the straight-forward Riggins banger "The Hustle".
the interludes.
"Between Me, You and Liberation" not only soundin like honey to the ears musically, but featuring Com at his most mature and introspective. one thing you can always admire about Common, his artistry grows exponentionally, and you're never gonna get the same thing twice ("UMC", anyone?).
not to say nothin for one of the most epic album closers in modern r&b/soul history, "Heaven Somewhere".
even the Neps managed to tow the line and have at least ONE of their two contributions match the Soulquarian vibe with "Come Close" (on the other hand, "I Got A Right Ta" is a stinking piece of shit and i'm not sure HOW that even remotely made the cut).
i love how even Dilla was pushed past his comfort zone when making stuff like "Soul Power", "Electric Wire Hustler Flower" & "New Wave".
i think the toughest joint to get into initially was "Jimi Was A Rock Star", but now i appreciate that shit a lot more for the psychedelic goodness that it is.

just remember, this was a hip hop album, by a rap artist. the balls on Com and the Soulquarians to even DO this project were huge.
and in a lot of ways, it felt like a logical musical & artistic transition from LWFC. i feel like that camp coulda re-made LWFC over and over and over, but they decided to up the ante instead.

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayer™

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 09:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Tend to agree. I loved it from day 1 but ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-12-17 09:54 AM by Brew

Agree that the concepts/ambitions were greater than the overall execution. There's more good than bad tho, IMO.

So many bangers though. "I Am Music" is underrated. "Soul Power" is hard as hell. "The Hustle," as someone already said, was your "straightforward" hip-hop joint but still with an edge that fit the album.

"Jimi Was a Rock Star" always disappointed me because it wasn't Common's song. I get what they were going for and I appreciate the homage to a great, but being on Common's album it made no sense. Besides maybe saying "I want to do something for Jimi" it seems like he took zero part in that song. But maybe someone can refresh my memory if he did more than I'm giving him credit for in terms of production or writing on that track.

Only thing I disagree with you on is:

>But while he wasn't spitting flames like he did on Like
>Water for Chocolate, I felt the lyrical themes were more
>mature.

... I think he was spitting harder on this album, at least on the songs he rapped on. "Soul Power," "The Hustle," "I Got a Right Ta," etc., he was going hard as hell from a lyrical standpoint.

That's not to say he didn't have lyrics on LWFC, he did. I just think he made an effort to be more "finesse" and "style" on LWFC to fit the soulful production, and to kind of mimic his new crew (The Roots/The Soulquarians/Jay Dee), whereas on Electric Circus he went back to just MCing a la One Day It'll All Make Sense.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:19 PM

4. "yeah there's def some slum village delivery influence on lw4c"
In response to Reply # 3

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 02:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Yep. Thought I put SV in my parenthetical, meant to."
In response to Reply # 4

But yea you're 100% right and I agree.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 11:39 AM

6. "I referred EC to all the millennials in my family"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-13-17 11:40 AM by cbk

It blew their damn minds. It became their lost classic.

I didn’t realize how deep the negative reception to this album was.

(Com was talking about how folks were like “I don’t like THAT SHIT” on that bonus Be DVD. Be was his direct reaction to the EC backlash.)

I believe EC prepped millennials for TPAB.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

tariqhu
Charter member
17894 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 01:44 PM

7. "I still listen to this album"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Dec-13-17 01:45 PM by tariqhu

and still love it. the only missteps are the final two tracks. they were very melancholy songs to end the album that had so much energy in the other songs.

my son, 8, heard new wave in the car and has been requesting it. he also sings Alicia keys This girl is on fire. lol. I lub that kid.

Y'all buy those labels, I was born supreme

Lobby The Lesson topic #2999004 Previous topic | Next topic