Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2998877

Subject: "east coast rappers back in the 90's who didn't sound east coast" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Dec-09-17 12:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"east coast rappers back in the 90's who didn't sound east coast"

yeah obviously Death Row turned the east out and then the south did it even further however before both those storms erupted which
east coast acts or groups didn't sound like they were from the east regardless of the shift and changes going down?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
EPMD with their funk samples.
Dec 09th 2017
But that was EPMD's sound before it became the "West Coast sound"
Dec 10th 2017
      Good point
Dec 10th 2017
      ^^^^^^
Dec 12th 2017
Masta Ace Incorporated - Sittin on Chrome
Dec 10th 2017
Didn't sound totally west coast,
Dec 10th 2017
That's one think I never could agree on with Sittin on Chrome
Dec 11th 2017
Live And Let Die-era Kool G Rap.
Dec 10th 2017
Well, it sounded like AmeriKKKa's Most, which many said sounded...
Dec 10th 2017
cru “Pronto” was an example of how they merged both sounds. Even Bad...
Dec 10th 2017
not to me
Dec 10th 2017
      I should say the production, not at all the raps. Only Masta Ace actuall...
Dec 11th 2017
           that may be due to the amount of WC hip-hop you were listening to
Dec 13th 2017
                I actually never thought of it until I started seeing folks say it way a...
Dec 14th 2017
Naughty by Nature
Dec 11th 2017
i dig Naughty
Dec 11th 2017
Naughty by Nature
Dec 11th 2017
Naughty by Nature
Dec 11th 2017
Would anyone say OutKast?
Dec 12th 2017
Nah they're surely the South, I would never call them East Coast
Dec 12th 2017
      Depends where in the south...
Dec 13th 2017
      Oh for sure, Texas and No Limit always sounded super L.A./West Coast
Dec 13th 2017
           The Atlanta scene basically went two ways...
Dec 13th 2017
      Oh see I agree that Southernplaya...had heavvvvvvy Chronic influence
Dec 13th 2017
i don't think there really were any, to be honest.
Dec 14th 2017

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Dec-09-17 09:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "EPMD with their funk samples."
In response to Reply # 0

But it's gonna be hard coming up with examples because that NYC sound was so dominant up until the 21st century.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 01:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "But that was EPMD's sound before it became the "West Coast sound""
In response to Reply # 1

At least in terms of sampling funk records.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 04:58 AM

4. "Good point"
In response to Reply # 2

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 12:20 PM

15. "^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 2

------------------
One Hundred.

Manuels Burrito
Member since Nov 25th 2009
113 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 01:46 AM

3. "Masta Ace Incorporated - Sittin on Chrome"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounded West Coast

Soletaker
Charter member
2958 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 05:50 AM

5. "Didn't sound totally west coast,"
In response to Reply # 3

but more of a mix of the two coasts sounds. Probably the best attempt at merging the two that I can think of.

--------

Mixcloud - www.mixcloud.com/Soultaker/

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10982 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 01:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "That's one think I never could agree on with Sittin on Chrome"
In response to Reply # 3

Outside of the title track, Born to Roll, and maybe the intro, that album did not sound West Coast at all. It was a definite sidestep from Slaughtahouse, and with the lead single sampling the Isley's I know it caught many off guard. But sounding West Coast it did not.

Listen to the album now and I'm sure many would agree

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 06:41 AM

6. "Live And Let Die-era Kool G Rap."
In response to Reply # 0

Only because Sir Jinx did a bulk of the production.

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44719 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 07:08 PM

9. "Well, it sounded like AmeriKKKa's Most, which many said sounded..."
In response to Reply # 6

...like an East Coast album in the first place.

And the three Trackmasterz songs definitely sounded East Coast.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Dec-10-17 04:51 PM

7. "cru “Pronto” was an example of how they merged both sounds. Even Bad..."
In response to Reply # 0

With Big poppa and Juicy...those sounded more like what came from the West at the time

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

maro
Charter member

8. "not to me"
In response to Reply # 7

I was never confused that puffy or biggie were west coast. For that matter - I can't recall any act from the east coast I was mistaking for a west coast act. Vice Versa maybe - I remember thinking the pharcyde was an east coast act.

werd.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 12:34 PM

10. "I should say the production, not at all the raps. Only Masta Ace actuall..."
In response to Reply # 8

used a West Coast sounding flow on his song, for a NY rapper. Redman and others used a lot of references, but didn't sound West Coast.

But just talking about production, I felt that Biggie's main singles were a take on what the West was doing...the album cuts sounded super East Coast, but the breeziness of Juicy and Big Poppa were aimed to the ears that were enjoying the West Coast sound in the mainstream.

maro
Charter member

18. "that may be due to the amount of WC hip-hop you were listening to"
In response to Reply # 10

at the time.... assuming you were living on the west coast to boot.

Because when Biggie's singles were dropping on the east coast, again, the production didn't remind me of what I thought to be west coast popular - such as - ICE CUBE - DRE - SNOOP ----- (well - maybe I take that back - maybe on doggystyle --- there are some bouncers on there.)

I think this might be bias to where you living at the time

werd.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Thu Dec-14-17 12:26 PM

23. "I actually never thought of it until I started seeing folks say it way a..."
In response to Reply # 18

Here's some random quotes just off of a Google search:

"And Ready To Die's most omnipresent hit “Big Poppa” flaunts the West Coast's signature Moog keyboard sound." - https://www.vibe.com/2014/09/unpopular-opinion-biggies-ready-die-hip-hops-most-flawed-classic-album/

"In light of the imminent coastal feud, it’s strange to consider how influential the West Coast was on Ready to Die. Snoop’s nasal twang and Dre’s pistols and palm trees epiphanies supply two of the album’s first samples. East Coast producers had been heavily mining Ohio funk since at least EPMD, but the hydraulic groove and the laid back pockets of “Things Done Changed,” “Juicy” and “Big Poppa,” are indebted to what was bumping out of Death Row. The “fuck everything sacred” slant almost invariably came from Ice Cube and N.W.A." - http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/ready-die-liner-notes/

"“Big Poppa” was inseparable from Ron Isley's “Between the Sheets” and snuck in a trendy, post-regional synth line that would perk up West Coast ears." - https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/22952-ready-to-die/

"For every swaggering corner boy anthem (“Juicy”, “Who Shot Ya”, g-funk-jacking slow jam “Big Poppa”) there's a corresponding blast of hood paranoia and introspection (“Warning”, “Suicidal Thoughts”)." - https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/ready-to-die-the-remaster/id204669326

"When you were listening to it, that was his success, because he took like west coast sound." - http://www.makaveli-board.net/showthread.php?12672-How-big-of-an-influence-was-2pac-on-Biggie-s-ready-to-die-album

These are basically all from established sources, too...I was in L.A., but in 4th and 5th grade, I didn't pay any attention to Regionalism at all, so I never even thought about it. But it's a lot of folks who have mentioned that his 2-3 singles had a G-Funk/West Coast inspired feel to them.

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 02:06 PM

12. "Naughty by Nature"
In response to Reply # 0

They definitely had east coast flavor in retrospect, but at the time.. they kinda had a universal appeal.. From their piano/keyboard soaked beats, melodic songs.. even the creased up Dickie's and SF Derby jackets they wore..

a little bit later.. I always thought Freeway sounded like a Cali dude. The way he pronounced his words.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Mon Dec-11-17 04:46 PM

14. "i dig Naughty"
In response to Reply # 12

they were my favorite group when I was about ten.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Original Juice
2578 posts

"Naughty by Nature"

They definitely had east coast flavor in retrospect, but at the time.. they kinda had a universal appeal.. From their piano/keyboard soaked beats, melodic songs.. even the creased up Dickie's and SF Derby jackets they wore..

a little bit later.. I always thought Freeway sounded like a Cali dude. The way he pronounced his words.

Original Juice
2578 posts

13. "Naughty by Nature"
In response to Reply # 0

obsidianchrysalis
8751 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 07:50 PM

16. "Would anyone say OutKast? "
In response to Reply # 0

Don't know if they count because they were technically the South. But their first album seems directly influenced by The Chronic.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Tue Dec-12-17 08:24 PM

17. "Nah they're surely the South, I would never call them East Coast"
In response to Reply # 16

But even still, they sounded more like Pharcyde than Chronic, to me.

Now, if you wanna talk about Southern rappers sounding East Coast...of course MC Shy D and the 80's rappers did. Gucci Crew n them. And even by 92, Home Team "Pick it up" sounded super NY to be from Miami. After that, the South found their own sound and ran with it.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 03:36 PM

19. "Depends where in the south..."
In response to Reply # 17

Texas, Louisiana always had a heavy west coast influence until they developed their own sound. Texas even continued with a heavy west coast sound until the time when swishahouse became popular. Early SUC had an LA sound.

The sound really changed when cash money exploded on the scene, then everyone has adopted that style ever since.

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 03:55 PM

20. "Oh for sure, Texas and No Limit always sounded super L.A./West Coast"
In response to Reply # 19

Texas still plays a lot of L.A. music. Has to be because it's closer to L.A. in proximity compared to ATL and Florida. Kris Kross for sure had a strong L.A. influence, image wise and sound wise.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 05:33 PM

21. "The Atlanta scene basically went two ways..."
In response to Reply # 20

It either had that Miami bass influence or a west coast gangsta rap influence.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Wed Dec-13-17 09:02 PM

22. "Oh see I agree that Southernplaya...had heavvvvvvy Chronic influence"
In response to Reply # 17

>But even still, they sounded more like Pharcyde than Chronic,
>to me.

I guess I'd have to revisit to see if I hear Pharcyde too, you may be right. But I always thought it was their "southern" answer to Dre/Snoop.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Thu Dec-14-17 01:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "i don't think there really were any, to be honest."
In response to Reply # 0

no tri-state rappers, certainly none from the early 90s, who i heard and thought were from cali or the south.

for the first x number of years that recorded rap music existed, there was no "east coast sound" really. there was just a rap sound. like all rap just sounded a certain general way, no matter where the rapper was from.

for a long time, niggas in texas and LA and chicago were just trying to rap like new york niggas. it was just how rap sounded.

then once the west and south really really branched off into their own sound, that's when this notion of a new york sound really came about. eventually some new york cats started incorporating other regional styles and slang into their shit. i feel like that started years later tho. like g-unit/dipset era.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Lobby The Lesson topic #2998877 Previous topic | Next topic