Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2997572

Subject: "Jay-Z Interview/American Gangster (Mass Appeal)" Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Mon Nov-06-17 12:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jay-Z Interview/American Gangster (Mass Appeal)"

Working with Puff, who has made a career out of mythologizing slick uptown gangsterism, was a perfect pairing. “Puff’s father (a low-level Harlem gangster who was murdered in 1972) was one of those dudes, so Puffy got it honestly,” Jay-Z told me. “Puff had been inviting me to the studio. I would be like, ‘If you got some Biggie-type tracks, let me know.’ A few days after American Gangster was put into place, I went to hear some music; he and his team the Hitmen had used all these soul food samples that were perfect for the period. Puff put the foundation of this album together.”

https://massappeal.com/jay-z-reflects-american-gangster-tenth-anniversary

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Good read
Nov 07th 2017
hahaha what is this North Korea?
Nov 07th 2017
Ranks right there with his best and is still one of my favorites
Nov 07th 2017

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8750 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 01:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Good read"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Nov-07-17 01:13 AM by obsidianchrysalis

His comments on the lack of integrity with the corporate vs the street world was interesting and makes sense.

If business people and CEO's had to face violence or at the least having business partners walk away if the execs didn't treat people right, legit business would serve the general public in a better way.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 10:18 AM

2. "hahaha what is this North Korea?"
In response to Reply # 1

>
>If business people and CEO's had to face violence or at the
>least having business partners walk away if the execs didn't
>treat people right, legit business would serve the general
>public in a better way.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Tue Nov-07-17 10:28 AM

3. "Ranks right there with his best and is still one of my favorites"
In response to Reply # 0

Hard to believe it’s been 10 years since that came out.

If you think about the four best Jay albums - RD, BP1, AG, 4:44 - it becomes clear that he’s most focused and inspired on production that’s warm and steeped in soul samples. You’re getting his most comfortable flows and slickest worldplay on these albums. On AG, stuff like “Falling” and “No Hook” really are as good as anything he’s ever done.

The album’s legacy is weird because it both rejuvenated his brand but also became a near afterthought in his discography. It’s better than Black Album or Volume 2 for example - but those albums had anthems on them. Shortly after AG Jay would start headlining major rock festivals across the globe - ironically, this album cemented his rock star status but was consistently kept off his setlists at these shows.

AG also supports the notion that he’s keenly aware of public sentiment and makes his best stuff when he’s been openly doubted. (BP1 following Dynasty, 4:44 following Magna Carta = there’s a trend)

He takes it really easy on himself with Kingdom come though doesn’t he? Wait, it’s ME who doesn’t get it? Haha just admit it’s a piece of trash and move on Hov.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2997572 Previous topic | Next topic