Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2996986

Subject: "Jessie Ware - Glasshouse" Previous topic | Next topic
bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 02:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jessie Ware - Glasshouse"

https://open.spotify.com/album/6mPNjjOl2GHbP4E90l7bJe#_=_

http://www.jessieware.com/

HATED IT! (c)

she's always had the pipes

but her albums have incrementally progressed toward pop

this one went overboard

weak sauce fam!

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm liking it after a spin. It feels like an extension of the last album
Oct 23rd 2017
RE: Jessie Ware - Glasshouse
Oct 23rd 2017
opposite reaction
Oct 24th 2017
Midnight has been on repeat for a few days
Oct 24th 2017
Been listening to this for the last couple of days and I really like it
Oct 25th 2017
for those saying pop
Oct 26th 2017
Definitely not uptempo or bright.
Oct 26th 2017
IMO
Oct 26th 2017
thank ya thank ya
Oct 26th 2017
like Deborah Cox lite, not bad
Oct 26th 2017
I really like her work but I'm not digging this at all
Oct 29th 2017

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 06:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm liking it after a spin. It feels like an extension of the last album"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-23-17 06:42 PM by Nabs

I liked Tough Love (Deluxe) a lot, so I'm sure this'll stay in rotation.

BNueve
Member since Jul 31st 2008
2063 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 08:15 PM

2. "RE: Jessie Ware - Glasshouse"
In response to Reply # 0

>but her albums have incrementally progressed toward pop

This is starting to bother me. She has such good connections like Dev Hynes, Robin Hannibal, etc. that she's worked with in the past and I know she can create something so much better.

That said, I still like the album minus Domino, had to delete that one. Surprised Pitchfork gave it an 8.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 11:03 AM

3. "opposite reaction"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved it - only two absolute duds (Domino and Finish what we started), it's brimming with great vocal performances and about half of the record features really stellar tunes (with the rest being very good, imo). Nearly everything about this record feels perfect to me --- and really not that "pop" at all... more 90s pop/r&b throwback if anything, and that in the best way possible. This record feels like a better hybrid of the spaciousness we found on Devotion - that openness many of us found so inviting - and the pop leanings that made Tough Love a less engaging listen (for me anyway). I was swooning for the majority of my first listen and it's been playing in my car non-stop...

I jotted some random notes while listening at work this morning - these aren't cleaned up at all and may be vague or repetitive, but thought I'd share:

Midnight – vulnerable verses, strong infectious chorus – unexpected segue (great opener) – nice touches in terms of layered vocals, unexpected modulations that come off as ad libs --- beautifully produced – lots of dynamics. I'm a sucker for that thumping Bennie and the Jets-ish feel and I think she pulls it off (see: Super rich kids...)

Thinking About you – not my favorite, but vocals really work – just feels a little more formulaic/predictable than I’d like without a lot of development, but pretty nonetheless- I could take it off

Stay Awake, Wait for me – amazing. Top tier of the album – lots of open space, different type of vocals from Ware on the verse than we are used to – love the breathless, playful second verse, the fun layered outro

Domino – obviously the weakest track on the album – wouldn’t even be *that* bad if the lyrics weren’t as awful as they are

Alone – the early/mid-90s big ballad vibe on this is strong and I really enjoy it. her vocals *kill* the total range on this, every line just brings her best out more and more

Selfish love – Cool nod to “Lovefool” in the melody (at least that’s what I’m going to read it as), some of the better lyrics on the record, and a really cool vibe in general. I could listen to this on repeat easy.

First Time – Ok - I had to put this on repeat on my first listen through the record... maybe it’s personal, lol --- but this one really pulled me in. Love the dynamics, the open spaces (again) – strong melody with a bit of unexpectedness built in (shift on “running all the red lights…” for instance) and production is perfect.

Hearts – Back-to-back w/first time makes for a potent punch in the emotional gut even though the chorus comes off a bit clichéd (the verses don’t – they feel real, vulnerable)

“Slow me down” – Sweet mother of god – I put this one on repeat, too, and went back to it right when I finished the album all the way through --- best bridge on the record, easily, just beautiful song from start to finish and the vocal performance is just perfection --- again, all the space is just perfect for her, and her range really shines here – lots of attention to detail, too, (listen to the wind chime-like sounds backing the chorus near the end, super soft but perfection). Probably my pick for the best of the album...

Finish what we started --- eh, pretty tepid and boring – probably my 2nd least favorite after domino (vocals *almost* save it but the song just isn’t very good)

Last of the true believers – in terms of songwriting, this ranks in the top tier of the record for sure – it avoids the quiet verse/loud chorus formula that gets a bit repetitive over the course of the record, and from a musical perspective the melody of the chorus hangs at an unexpected position in relation to the root and progression of the verses --- really elegant and thoughtful in its execution

Sam --- no words. Have we heard her this vulnerable and unadorned before, in the studio? (A lot of her live performances are more stripped down, but this is at another level.) Crazy good, crazy way to end the album (such a left turn), love that it feels a little lullaby-ish and unabashedly sentimental, even to the point of simplicity. For some reason it feels a bit like goodbye – I really hope not…

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 03:44 PM

4. "Midnight has been on repeat for a few days"
In response to Reply # 0

this joint is cool as a whole but I don't see it getting a lot of replay, but Midnight will find it's way to a lot of playlists

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Nabs
Charter member
11405 posts
Wed Oct-25-17 04:48 PM

5. "Been listening to this for the last couple of days and I really like it"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a great listen. I've even come around on Domino.

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Thu Oct-26-17 12:08 AM

6. "for those saying pop"
In response to Reply # 0

is it more uptempo and bright sounding, like less instrumentation or just not her usual r&b vanilla Sade vibe?

I like her period but I'm just wondering where the pop comes in. Is it more "Something Inside" than "Night Light"?

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Thu Oct-26-17 11:13 AM

7. "Definitely not uptempo or bright."
In response to Reply # 6

Still nighttime fall in love music, just more strightforward and less of a jazz feel. I think it's far too easy to say this album is "pop album" because it sounds too negative, it's still a good record.

To me it sounds like Janet Jackson's midtempo songs that are about love (not the sexual ones).

That said, Jessie has a great record in her, I just don't know which producer is gonna bring it out.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Oct-26-17 11:18 AM

8. "IMO"
In response to Reply # 6

it's more night light, if I had to stick with your options

but, what stood out most to me was the song writing

just really bland lyrics and song structures, IMO

LOL@something inside, that's actually one of my favorite jawns from her

given that example, the songwriting is excellent, her voice is featured well, and the song structure changes, etc...

there's none of that on here for me

even the instrumentation feels bland, middle of the road

"r&b vanilla Sade vibe" is a great description

it's a polished up version of that, to the point you don't even get that effect

i.e. this could have been an album by any number of singers

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Thu Oct-26-17 05:37 PM

10. "thank ya thank ya"
In response to Reply # 6

I like "something inside" too, it just sounds more pop than the other tracks

honestly this still sounds like its worth checking out though

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

NoFuture4Us
Member since Jan 11th 2017
313 posts
Thu Oct-26-17 12:45 PM

9. "like Deborah Cox lite, not bad"
In response to Reply # 0

prefer "Devotion" tho

https://www.instagram.com/christiancgarrido/

Hussein ibn Malik "if he escaped on a horse he might be realest nigga ever, EVER..2013 Nat Turner with the burner"
MaxPtah "Django is real homie.."
PoppaGeorge "If you're a child of the 70's, Ye looks like a p

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Oct-29-17 02:54 PM

11. "I really like her work but I'm not digging this at all"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think it's bad, per se, just not my taste. Her albums seem to be leading her someplace though so I'm definitely waiting to see just where that is.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Lobby The Lesson topic #2996986 Previous topic | Next topic