Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2996912

Subject: "Did anyone else ever find UG's "Portals" album disappointing?" Previous topic | Next topic
The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Sun Oct-22-17 01:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Did anyone else ever find UG's "Portals" album disappointing?"

It probably is just me that was disappointed but I feel that my disappointment was legit. I would get on UG's YouTube page from time to time and look at his beat videos. The beats that he cranks out are some fire head nodders; straight up boom bap. When I found out that he was coming out with a new album last year, I just knew it was gonna be flames. After all, UG is nice as a spitter. Couple that with those beats that he's been banging out, I was ready to support.

Unfortunately, for me at least, that album had only one of UG's beats on it, and that wasn't a head nodder. We mainly got a bunch of left of center beats from IDE, one from Necro, and one from Celph Titled besides UG's one contribution. I'm not saying that the album is pure garbage but it damn sure didn't hit me like I was expecting. I still don't understand why he didn't use the beats that he had made. Maybe it's a sampling issue thing but I doubt it since Portals uses a lot of samples. Am I the only one caught off guard or what?

Since 1976

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I thought it was dope
Oct 23rd 2017
Yeah, it ain't a bad album for left of center material.
Oct 23rd 2017
Was unaware but I'll check it out now. Dude has always had a great
Oct 23rd 2017
havent heard it yet... but no Nick Wiz tracks??
Oct 23rd 2017
I wish there were some Nick Wiz tracks.
Oct 23rd 2017
Hold Up, Hold Up, UG From Cella Dwellas Had A Solo Album Out
Oct 23rd 2017
Wow, I would've figured someone like you would've been up on it, lol.
Oct 24th 2017
Didn't know he's been making beats either. He needs to get this
Oct 24th 2017
Man, check the rest of his YouTube page.
Oct 24th 2017

Johnny
Charter member
4447 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 12:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I thought it was dope"
In response to Reply # 0

only listened to it a couple of times though
need to revisit it

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 05:50 PM

5. "Yeah, it ain't a bad album for left of center material. "
In response to Reply # 1

I was more disappointed that it wasn't laced with those head nodding beats that UG is capable of making.

Since 1976

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 08:38 AM

2. "Was unaware but I'll check it out now. Dude has always had a great"
In response to Reply # 0

voice & flow. He would have a nice fit for Flipmode after Cella Dwellas fell off the scene.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 10:37 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "havent heard it yet... but no Nick Wiz tracks?? "
In response to Reply # 0

...UG and Phantasm could never do wrong over those Nick Wiz bangers

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 05:48 PM

4. "I wish there were some Nick Wiz tracks."
In response to Reply # 3

At least I know those would've been some head nodders. The album ain't bad, it's just that if you're looking for that boom bap, head nodding material, it ain't there.

Since 1976

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Oct-23-17 07:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Hold Up, Hold Up, UG From Cella Dwellas Had A Solo Album Out"
In response to Reply # 0

For mad years I've been waiting on them to do a 3rd album and heard a few singles from 2011 to 2013 that were dope and before that I friended Phantasm on myspace and he was promoting a digital EP that I still haven't heard or seen online, just a few singles that were okay but was missing the Cella Dwella sound (maybe cause Nick Wiz didn't produce anything on it).

Anyway I have a few 12" singles that UG put out with Nick Wiz beats but those were right after they broke up, I didn't know he was still making music solo, didn't even know he had a youtube page, damn I've been sleeping on a lot of underground joints from the past few years (when you're broke you don't try to find things you can't afford to buy I guess).

Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna peep it before commenting on how good or bad it is.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 07:55 PM

8. "Wow, I would've figured someone like you would've been up on it, lol."
In response to Reply # 6

It's good for a left of center album. The only thing that disappointed me was that it wasn't what I had thought it was gonna be. I was seeing his videos where he was making beats, which are flames, and assumed that he was going to have beats like that on the album. Otherwise, I don't think it's a bad album per se. Though I'd have to be in the mood for that kind of album.

Since 1976

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 10:23 AM

7. "Didn't know he's been making beats either. He needs to get this "
In response to Reply # 0

one to Freddie Foxx or M.O.P.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYACRc86R8

The Wordsmith
17070 posts
Tue Oct-24-17 07:58 PM

9. "Man, check the rest of his YouTube page."
In response to Reply # 7

He posts sparingly but whenever he does, it's usually of him displaying his beats. His joints are some real head nodders and I just knew that his solo effort was gonna be filled with that kind of material. I was way off, lol. But yeah, dude has some heat.

Since 1976

Lobby The Lesson topic #2996912 Previous topic | Next topic