Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2996850

Subject: "Nicolay “The Secret”" Previous topic | Next topic
Mello
Charter member
2119 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 05:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Nicolay “The Secret”"

I may be alone in this thought but from a pure production standpoint this is one of Nicolay’s best. If I’m counting right there are seven different sections/movements in this song. The second to last is one of my favorite chord progressions from him. And then to add insult to injury he includes the uptempo interlude that I would kill to hear the full version of.

It was cool to hear his interview on the Entry Points podcast, specifically how Phonte assists with the creation of the City Lights albums by editing and making sure the songs don’t go on too long. You can tell by the fade out in the sixth section of The Secret that it probably went on much longer, which I would not have been mad at.

I know some view the City Lights records as sort of background music but if you really pay attention there is some genius work happening within these tracks.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I would have liked it better if it wasn't on that album
Oct 19th 2017
I felt the same way...
Oct 19th 2017

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18111 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 07:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I would have liked it better if it wasn't on that album"
In response to Reply # 0

that Soweto album was hit and miss, but this and Daydream were really good tunes. I wished the album was more varied soundwise than it was.

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Mello
Charter member
2119 posts
Thu Oct-19-17 09:21 PM

2. "I felt the same way..."
In response to Reply # 1

It took me multiple listens to get into it and one day it hit me how it all weaves together. So from that standpoint I dig the uniformity of it. There are a couple of tracks that depending on the day I skip but for the most part I let it ride all the way through.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2996850 Previous topic | Next topic