Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2995970

Subject: "Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir - RS swipe" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 04:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir - RS swipe"

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/wu-tang-clans-u-god-preps-new-memoir-w505340

Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir

Rapper to "document legacy" in 2018 book 'RAW: My Journey Into the Wu-Tang Clan'

By Ryan Reed

Wu-Tang Clan's Lamont "U-God" Hawkins will tell his story about rising to fame with the acclaimed rap group in his memoir, RAW: My Journey Into the Wu-Tang Clan, out March 2018. The book begins from U-God's childhood through his career with the nine-member New York hip-hop crew, Pitchfork reports.

"It's time to write down not only my legacy, but the story of nine dirt-bomb street thugs who took our everyday life – scrappin' and hustlin' and tryin' to survive in the urban jungle of New York City – and turned that into something bigger than what we could possibly imagine," Hawkins said of RAW in a statement. "Something that took us out of the projects for good, which was the only thing we all wanted in the first place."

Hawkins sued his Wu-Tang Clan bandmates in 2016 for over two million dollars, alleging he was owed royalties dating back over six years, including for Martin Shkreli's purchase of the group's one-of-a-kind album, Once Upon a Time in Shaolin.

U-God appeared on every official Wu-Tang Clan album including their most recent, 2014's A Better Tomorrow. U-God is not currently listed as a contributor to the forthcoming RZA-produced album, Wu-Tang Clan: The Saga Continues, out October 13th, Hip Hop DX reports.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'll check this out
Sep 26th 2017
RE: I'll check this out
Sep 26th 2017
RE: Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir - RS swipe
Sep 26th 2017
Saga Continues is apparently produced by Mathematics, not RZA
Sep 27th 2017
RE: Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir - RS swipe
Mar 17th 2018
Finished this yesterday
Mar 18th 2018
RE: Finished this yesterday
Mar 19th 2018
      Lowkey, U-God had plenty of quotables....
Mar 20th 2018
      He says in the book that was his first and only take
Mar 20th 2018
      It’s cool if you preferred his verse but in no way
Mar 21st 2018
RZA: I'm Not Sure It Falls Totally in Nonfiction' - RS swipe
Apr 05th 2018
I guess with 9? other men in the kitchen someone's getting cut
Apr 05th 2018
      You know, I was 100% with Rza on this til you brought this up.
Apr 05th 2018

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 05:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'll check this out"
In response to Reply # 0

While not being as highly regarded as his Wu counterparts I think his perspective could be interesting. I have all of RZA's books and have read his accounts of everything Wu from his perspective, but it will be cool to hear it from someone else that wasn't the head of it all.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 06:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I'll check this out"
In response to Reply # 1

I have all of
>RZA's books and have read his accounts of everything Wu from
>his perspective, but it will be cool to hear it from someone
>else that wasn't the head of it all.

This. The more perspectives, the better. I hope Ghostface puts out a book one day. He is my fav.

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 06:30 PM

3. "RE: Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir - RS swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

U-God is not
>currently listed as a contributor to the forthcoming
>RZA-produced album, Wu-Tang Clan: The Saga Continues, out
>October 13th, Hip Hop DX reports.
>

This is unfortunate, and I thought RZA put production in the hands of Ghostface for the new album?

http://www.okayplayer.com/news/rza-says-that-ghostface-killah-will-be-in-charge-of-the-next-wu-tang-album.html

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44716 posts
Wed Sep-27-17 02:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Saga Continues is apparently produced by Mathematics, not RZA"
In response to Reply # 3

Who isn't Ghostface either, I know.

Regardless, Saga Continues sounds more like the Chamber Music or Legendary Weapons albums, run by an outside producer with maybe one or two Wu-Tang members per cut.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

NorthWeezy
Member since Dec 04th 2005
5485 posts
Sat Mar-17-18 08:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Wu-Tang Clan's U-God Preps New Memoir - RS swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought these interviews were interesting.

with B High

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=15yiqdaYBP0

the Breakfast club

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g86DSuIVOGs

……………….,,
http://gravalicious.tumblr.com/archive

"If you're not loving someone, you're wasting your time." - Dennis Brown

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Sun Mar-18-18 07:54 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Finished this yesterday"
In response to Reply # 0

Got the Audible version (Highly recommended since U-God has a striking voice and puts a good amount of emotion in his voice throughout the book)

Dude comes off humble and self aware throughout the book (admits to being wack in the early days due to being out of practice due to jail/talks about getting laughed out the booth and clowned by other Clan members)

The first 2/3 is mostly about his time growing up and in the streets as a drug dealer, the second half had some good stories about Wu Tang blowing up and what happened afterward.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

The3rdOne
Charter member
9105 posts
Mon Mar-19-18 04:00 PM

7. "RE: Finished this yesterday"
In response to Reply # 6

>
>Dude comes off humble and self aware throughout the book
>(admits to being wack in the early days due to being out of
>practice due to jail/talks about getting laughed out the booth
>and clowned by other Clan members)

I was probably the only cat in my hood that had the balls to admit that U-God murked Ghost AND Rae on the opening cut on Cuban Linx, Knuckleheadz. Other than that, he came to be the cliche of wackest member in the clan. His flow and how he rode the beats in that time period stuck out to me.

rorschach
Member since Nov 10th 2004
7723 posts
Tue Mar-20-18 07:59 PM

8. "Lowkey, U-God had plenty of quotables...."
In response to Reply # 7

And those quotables would be the most memorable lines of the song. If he's the wackest member, it's really because of his solo output. I always liked him as a part of the group even though I'd sit through an entire project of his.

U-God is like that one basketball player on team whose job is to come off the bench for about 5-10 minutes a game to get a few blocks and rebounds. He's not in the highlight reels but his presence was mostly necessary.

---------------------------------------

---------------------------------------

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Tue Mar-20-18 11:11 PM

9. "He says in the book that was his first and only take"
In response to Reply # 7

On that song.
Interesting tidbit - he said he thought Rza was taking a jab
at him Rae and Ghost by calling them knuckleheadz
essentially saying that Rza titled the song?

That seems weird to me?
Like did that happen often on Wu songs?
That Rza would title the songs?
Did he come with the beat and the title
and the guys came up with songs around the title?

Probably not but then again it’s a bunch of weird geniuses in Wu lol

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Mar-21-18 08:52 AM

10. "It’s cool if you preferred his verse but in no way "
In response to Reply # 7

Did U God murk Rae & Ghost on Knuckleheadz.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 01:23 PM

11. "RZA: I'm Not Sure It Falls Totally in Nonfiction' - RS swipe"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/rza-u-gods-wu-tang-memoir-isnt-totally-nonfiction-w518609

RZA on U-God's Wu-Tang Memoir: 'I'm Not Sure It Falls Totally in Nonfiction'

Producer-rapper responds to "control freak" claim that he allegedly charges fees needlessly to use the group's logo

By Kory Grow

All is not well in the state of Shaolin, or at least that's what the Wu-Tang Clan's U-God alleged in his recently released memoir, Raw: My Journey Into the Wu-Tang. In an excerpt published in Rolling Stone last month, the rapper called the group's producer-rapper RZA a "control freak" who has hired his family to manage Wu with poor results. U-God claimed that RZA trademarked the group's name and charges the group's members franchise fees, adding that RZA and the rest of the ensemble don't support individual members' solo endeavors when they tour. In a new interview ahead of a tour live-scoring the movie The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, RZA rebuts many of U-God's complaints.

Wu-Tang's U-God Details Clan's Fracture in Revealing Book Excerpt
"Right now, it just looks like the Wu brothers are not on the same page, going at each other’s throats, missing shows, and all that," rapper writes

"Look, every man has a right to write a book," he says. "Some books are fiction and some books are nonfiction. Some are myths, some are fantasy, some are sci-fi – I don't know if this book falls totally in nonfiction."

In the excerpt, U-God described RZA as quasi-dictatorial – a claim that makes the producer laugh. "I could never be a control freak," he says. "If Wu-Tang is a dictatorship, how does every Wu-Tang member have their own contract, their own career and have put out more albums without me than they've done with me? Secondly, if I'm the problem for anybody's growth and development in music, then why (is it that) after 18 years after everybody got released from the Wu-Tang Productions contract in 2000, your growth has not shown through your own talent then if that's the problem?"

He also took umbrage with U-God's claim that RZA's hiring of his family members have run Wu-Tang into the ground. In the book, U-God targeted Mitchell "Divine" Diggs, RZA's brother and CEO of Wu-Tang Productions, with a number of allegations. In his opinion, Divine has not been able to sign Wu-Tang to an "A-list agency" like William Morris. "It's really years of BS catching up to RZA," U-God wrote. "See, he put his family in charge of shit, and for years, we would go on the road but the money came up short."
"Nobody showed up for their own video shoot. But you still want the company represent you?"

RZA says that multiple people who work behind the scenes in the industry – including a co-host at New York radio show The Breakfast Club, an exec at Def Jam and managers for Ghostface Killah, Raekwon and Inspectah Deck – started their careers working for Wu-Tang and went on to success.

"We've helped grow the industry through a small company from Staten Island that made it to Manhattan and has success now," he says. "Look at the facts: The only person who worked for my company from my family were my sister, who was head of video promotion, and because of her job, she triggered success at BET for other executives. My cousin became the president of Wu-Tang Records who put out the gold album Redemption. Of course this is a family business. My brother's always been that guy in my life. I would not have one turntable if my brother didn't buy the turntable. I was the dreamer; he was the doer. It took two of us to make this happen."

As for U-God's claim that Divine couldn't get Wu-Tang a decent agent, RZA says "that's out of my control." "Agents solicit you," he says. "You don't solicit them. I got my agent because I wanted to score movies – I did Ghost Dog – and my manager thought it would be smart to get an agent and I signed with UTA and I ended up becoming a good piece of business for Hollywood, and I grew. That is that."

He also took issue with U-God's grouses about having to pay to use the group's "W" logo. "Divine always told us, 'Y'all can't use that 'W' without paying a brand fee, and if a promoter calls your manager direct to book a Wu-Tang show, best believe they're paying that brand fee,'" he wrote. "Ain't that a motherfucker!"

RZA says he's begun enforcing the usage fee because the brand has become diluted in recent years. He paid for the rights to the logo himself in the early Nineties and has used it since. "Now if you leave a company, you can't use the logo anymore for free," he says. "Method Man can't go and put Def Jam on his stuff anymore. He's no longer signed to Def Jam. Russell Simmons can't even use Def Jam anymore and he created it. I can't even use Loud (Records, who signed Wu-Tang Clan)."

Mostly, RZA takes issue with other record companies using the logo for their own gain without paying for it. "Even if you think in old, Staten Island mafia terms, you've got to kick something back to the family," he says. "For 12 or 13 years, the logo was so diluted, diminished and free-to-the-public that I had to take a legal stance."

He began asking for fees around Wu-Tang's 2014 album A Better Tomorrow, "after letting everybody run wild with it," he says, since 1997. "Nobody was standing behind the 'W' in reality," he says. "Who promoted A Better Tomorrow? Nobody. Even on (2007's) 8 Diagrams, nobody showed up for their own video shoot. But you still want the company represent you? If he's gonna give (the logo) to (another label) who's going to make an economic off that, he should at least pay a 10 percent fee for the usage of my logo. Now 10 percent is a small fee, in all reality, and that's all I ask. But instead of paying 10 percent, they'd rather not use it at all. He's going to say he has the right to stamp my logo on his product and not compensate my company? Nah, that's not fair. So in business terms, it makes pragmatic sense. And even on the personal sense, why wouldn't you give back to the Abbot when you know everybody else gives up on you, he continues to help?"
"Even if you think in old, Staten Island mafia terms, you've got to kick something back to the family."

One of U-God's complaints that RZA agrees with – with a caveat – is that Wu-Tang performs too much older material live at the expense of individual members' newer solo works. "I think one thing that hurt (my solo) releases is that we could never perform any new material at our Wu-Tang shows," U-God wrote. "That’s something I never understood." And, he added, "It's been a long time since we rocked new songs onstage. Shit, we didn't even support the last few albums with proper tours; I mean we went on tour, but stuck to performing the classics. That's backward to me. For us to ask the fans to support us, we had to support ourselves by performing new material – all for one and one for all – first."

"I don't agree about the solo product," RZA says. "Unless it's a Top 10 or 20 single, the solo product belongs in the solo show. But I do think that when we do our tours, we definitely seem to be stuck in a certain chamber of music. First of all, you can't resist them. Some of those songs work. The crowd loves them. That's what they came to see at some point. But I think it's also because they're the most familiar and easy for us to display without even rehearsing them. They're our DNA songs.

"But I agree with U-God," he continues. "We definitely should expand our performance roster because if it gets boring to us, it's going to eventually be boring to the audience. We've got to find ways to spice it up. And DJ Mathematics sometimes spices it up. I remember one night we did a couple of songs that we never play, like (Ghostface's) 'Fish' and 'Assassination Day,' and everybody went crazy. Like, holy shit, 'Assassination Day,' blasting loud out of those big-ass speakers? We went crazy and we started almost fighting each other like the energy we felt and the audience loved it."

Despite all of this, RZA says he doesn't feel any real friction with U-God and that he's looking forward to working with him again. "More than anything, I'm happy because I've watched a couple of U-God's interviews and he seems engaged and happy and satisfied, and that's what an artist needs," RZA says. "He's always been a good artist. In his book, he writes that he was looked down upon. I think he don't really realize how much people love him and I think this particular book tour and promotion, he's realizing, 'Wait a minute, motherfuckers know me and love me.' I think he's learning something we all know." RZA laughs. "He's an important piece to this Wu puzzle, and I've got nothing but love for him, personally."

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8748 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 04:17 PM

12. "I guess with 9? other men in the kitchen someone's getting cut"
In response to Reply # 11

I see where both sides are coming from as far as the rights issue. But if the other MC's aren't seeing money from the revenue the rights to the logo brings in then RZA would be in the wrong. The Clan was / is a success because of the chemistry of all of them together not solely because of RZA.

I know they've had arguments and spats in the past but it's a borderline miracle that they've been as close as they have been. Tribe was 4 people and they fizzled out, same as Pharcyde or RATM. It's hard staying together. I haven't really peeped an album of theirs since Wu-Tang Forever but I like when they put out music if only to know that folks of their generation are still creatively inspired and productive.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Apr-05-18 10:10 PM

13. "You know, I was 100% with Rza on this til you brought this up."
In response to Reply # 12
Thu Apr-05-18 10:12 PM by Brew

>I see where both sides are coming from as far as the rights
>issue. But if the other MC's aren't seeing money from the
>revenue the rights to the logo brings in then RZA would be in
>the wrong.

^^^ word to that. Rza's point about the brand being diluted is on point and understandable from a business perspective as well as artistic.

But you're right, if the original 9 aren't all getting a piece of that then that just ain't the right way to go about it.

And the more I think about it, the original 9 (well, 8 at this point I guess) shouldn't have to pay the brand fee. It should only apply to folks outside of the original crew.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby The Lesson topic #2995970 Previous topic | Next topic