Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2995859

Subject: "Entroducing turned 21 on the 16th. (Micro Chop swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Fri Sep-22-17 09:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Entroducing turned 21 on the 16th. (Micro Chop swipe)"

One of my favorite albums and also one of the most impactful on my sense of music.

According to this article on Micro Chop, it turned 21 on the 16th.

Here's a link to an interesting story about the production technique on the album:

https://medium.com/micro-chop/dj-shadow-used-turntable-pitch-control-to-layer-samples-on-entroducing-24fafcbb3da8

Gino Sorcinelli

Creator of @bookshelfbeats and Micro-Chop (https://medium.com/micro-chop). Writer for @cuepointmusic, HipHopDX, Passion of the Weiss, and @wearestillcrew.

Nov 19, 2016

DJ Shadow Used Turntable Pitch Control To Layer Samples on "Entroducing….."

DJ Shadow’s objective was simple when he started working on his 1996 debut Entroducing….."I definitely set out to do an entirely 100% sample-based album," he told Keyboard magazine in 1997. "That was my mission."

Armed with an Akai MPC60, Alesis ADAT, and a Technics SL-1200 turntable, Shadow kept his rig bare bones throughout the creation of his first album, often relying on his keen ear for guidance. Using endless ingenuity and workarounds to pluck the most finite fragments from his record collection and rearrange them into a dizzying array of compositions, Shadow’s sparse setup proved to be no match for his artistic dexterity.

By the time Entroducing….. was complete, Shadow’s simple initial goal of making an entire album out of samples had resulted in a landmark work that would help shape the future of sample-based music. Though he couldn’t have imagined his first album would be a key influence during the making of Radiohead’s seminal album OK Computer just a short time later, Entroducing….. broke new ground in the sample-based genre at while wowing countless critics and respected musicians in the process.

"You were getting just a completely different way of looking at music, almost this collage of mistakes that in itself makes something so right."

Released in mid-September of 1996 and receiving almost universal acclaim in major publications like The Guardian, Playboy, and Rolling Stone, the album rode the fine line of impressing sampling enthusiasts while being accessible to those unfamiliar with the genre. In a rave review Entertainment Weekly compared Shadow's efforts to, "a surreal film soundtrack on which jazz, classical, and jungle fragments are artfully blended with turntable tricks and dialogue snippets,” crediting him with an album that the album took “hip-hop into the next dimension."

For Shadow, taking hip-hop to the next dimension started with a key ingredient to any great rap song — finding the right drums. “I like to get the beat rough, add some rough music, and then start to tighten it up from there,” Shadow said while explaining his technique in a 1997 interview with Keyboard magazine. "But generally with me, it always starts with a beat."

After laying down an initial beat, Shadow had to figure out how to work around the limited sampling time of the MPC60 so that he could communicate his vision. "It was all about chopping to me,” he told Keyboard. “I never had the luxury of taking extended samples."

As is often the case with production pioneers, Shadow relished the limitations of the equipment he had at his disposal. Part of the allure of making Entroducing….. was trying to capture beautiful, messy, and primitive early days of sampling. “When Public Enemy and others were taking these moments and amplifying the noise component rather than the musical component, you were getting just a completely different way of looking at music,” he told NPR in 2012. "Almost this collage of mistakes that in itself makes something so right. I thought that was a brilliant moment in music."

To make his own brilliant collage of mistakes, Shadow had to get creative while working within the confines of his gear and record collection. "There are lots of overdubs on the album," he told Keyboard. "But all the record was 100% sample or vinyl-based. All the sampling was done on the MPC. It all went straight from turntable to the MPC to tape."

Taking his sampling a step further, Shadow also used the pitch control on his turntable to make his samples sound just right if the MPC couldn’t do the job by itself. "Any other things you hear were done straight off the turntable, pitched in,” he said. “Like, if a song is in a certain key, and I overdub a string bit, I have to manipulate the pitch control on the turntable until it works."

To modern producers familiar with Ableton, FL Studio, Maschine, and an endless slew of sampling technology, Shadow’s gear and methodology may seem primitive, but the final result was anything but. Sixteen years after the release of Endtroducing… The Guardian wrote, "Endtroducing…..suggested that, with a little imagination, there were few limits to the music that could be made by one man and his record collection."

As DJ Shadow’s debut turns 21, the album remains an enduring testament to the incredible innovation often born out of constraints.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
good article
Sep 23rd 2017
He has quite a number of well-crafted blog posts
Sep 23rd 2017
      if anybody loves beats...
Sep 26th 2017
A true work of modern art...
Sep 26th 2017

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Sep-23-17 11:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "good article"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for posting

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sat Sep-23-17 07:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "He has quite a number of well-crafted blog posts"
In response to Reply # 1

Informative, long enough to get into the details of a tidbit of information without being long-winded. Picks really good topics. I'm a fan of this site.

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 11:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "if anybody loves beats..."
In response to Reply # 2

...they should have micro chop bookmarked

early

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

TR808
Member since Oct 24th 2012
2012 posts
Tue Sep-26-17 01:23 PM

4. "A true work of modern art..."
In response to Reply # 0

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2995859 Previous topic | Next topic