Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2995428

Subject: "Prince Wrote “Manic Monday’ For The Bangles (MicroChop swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Wed Sep-13-17 11:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Prince Wrote “Manic Monday’ For The Bangles (MicroChop swipe)"

https://medium.com/micro-chop/prince-wrote-manic-monday-for-the-bangles-30955dd0ce9d

Gino Sorcinelli
Creator of @bookshelfbeats and Micro-Chop (https://medium.com/micro-chop). Writer for @cuepointmusic, HipHopDX, Passion of the Weiss, and @wearestillcrew.
Mar 7

Prince Wrote “Manic Monday’ For The Bangles
Prince’s catalog is so awe-inspiring in size, scope, and influence that it’s difficult to quantify in a meaningful way. After releasing 39 albums during his lifetime (not counting albums with New Power Generation and Madhouse), the Minnesota legend sold over 100 million records, won seven Grammy awards, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as soon as he was eligible. Prince’s accomplishments as a solo artist are so ridiculous that it’s easy to overlook classic records he wrote for other artists, sometimes under a pen name or in an uncredited songwriting role.

One such song was “Manic Monday”, a hit for the quintessential 80s band The Bangles. Before writing the song, Prince started as fan of the group, especially their song “Hero Takes a Fall” from their ’84 debut All Over The Place. He liked the song so much that he decided to learn it and surprise them on stage with a guitar solo at a show in San Francisco. “We were told he was in the audience, so of course we were very nervous. It turns out he had learned ‘Hero Takes a Fall’ and he just kind of jumped on stage with us and played this amazing solo. We’d never really met him ‘til that night,” Bangles member Susanna Hoffs told Songfacts.

“I have to look up that cassette. I know I have it. It’s in a box somewhere.”- Susanna Hoffs

After their surprise introduction, Prince went back to work on various projects, including the Apollonia 6 self-titled album. The all-female R & B trio Apollonia 6 were a later iteration of his group Vanity 6, who were renamed and rebranded after lead singer Vanity left the group. Prince wrote and recorded “Manic Monday” with the group in 1984 for their only studio album, but later withdrew it and decided to leave it in the vault until he found a better fit.

Not long after Prince pulled Manic Monday from Apollonia 6’s album, The Bangles went to work on their sophomore album Different Light. While they were working on the album one the group’s engineers told Hoffs that Prince had a demo tape of potential songs waiting for them at Sunset Sounds.

“It had two songs on it and one of them was ‘Manic Monday’. The other was called ‘Jealous Girl’. I have to look up that cassette. I know I have it. It’s in a box somewhere,” Hoffs told Songfacts.

Although it seemed like Prince had a very specific vision of how the song should sound, the band wanted to make sure they injected their own style and energy. “I think he was offering us the track so we’d sing it the same way. But we wanted to do the whole thing from the ground up,” Hoffs said.

“We sat until three in the morning just playing Bangles songs, and then he disappeared again, off into the sunset, and we haven’t heard from him since.”- Susanna Hoffs

Hoffs credits the group’s producer David Kahne for helping them maximize their talents and use their voices in ways they had never imagined before. “In the studio he would give us all sorts of new ideas that we never would have considered. We started to use our voices and our harmonies in a really, really interesting way,” she said.

The band admitted to being understandably nervous about recording a Prince song, but the decision to cut a record by one of the greatest musicians of all time paid dividends. “Manic Monday” served as a lead single and #2 Billboard hit for 1986’s Different Light, an album that would later boast five charting singles and three million copies sold. The #1 song at the time that prevented “Manic Monday” from reaching the very top of the charts was Prince’s “Kiss”. With his own song at the top, and The Bangles right behind, Billboard chart editor Paul Grein noted at the time that Prince was “one of only five songwriters in the past 30 years to hold down the top two positions simultaneously.”

“I think he was offering us the track so we’d sing it the same way. But we wanted to do the whole thing from the ground up.”- Susanna Hoffs

Adding a layer of intrigue to the story was Prince’s affections for Hoffs at the time, which she referred to as “very mysterious.” According to a 1987 article in Rolling Stone, “he called Susanna often and traveled to hear the Bangles perform several times, occasionally joining the band onstage,” around the time “Manic Monday” was released.

The brief courtship ended in typically legendary Prince fashion when he came to catch one of their shows right before the release of Different Light. After watching the band perform, he asked them to join him in an all Bangles music jam session at his studio. “He knew all our songs,” Susanna told Rolling Stone in 1987. “We sat until three in the morning just playing Bangles songs, and then he disappeared again, off into the sunset, and we haven’t heard from him since.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
there's a new crop of 18 year olds every year.
Sep 14th 2017
Good point.
Sep 16th 2017
I have to look up that cassette. I know I have it. It’s in a box somew...
Sep 14th 2017
RE: Prince Wrote “Manic Monday’ For The Bangles (MicroChop swipe)
Sep 18th 2017
could be both.
Sep 18th 2017
i just googled her
Sep 19th 2017
she was some tight work back in the day, ain't too bad today
Sep 19th 2017
I thought Prince's crush on Susanna Hoffs was well known
Sep 20th 2017
      She definitely had a white Vanity/Apollonia vibe happening.
Sep 21st 2017
      it wasn't a huge thing.
Sep 21st 2017
VIDEO: Prince, Wendy & The Bangles live 1986 - Manic Monday
Sep 19th 2017

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Sep-14-17 08:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "there's a new crop of 18 year olds every year."
In response to Reply # 0

^ what I just told myself when I wondered why this headline gives the impression this is new info. It's new to the kids, I'm sure. But it's been known for several years now.

fuck you.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Sat Sep-16-17 02:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Good point. "
In response to Reply # 1

It was news to be because I not a big fan of Prince. But I could see that a self-respecting fan of Prince already knew about this story.

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Thu Sep-14-17 08:03 AM

2. "I have to look up that cassette. I know I have it. It’s in a box somew..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-14-17 08:09 AM by Airbreed

Wow.

In a BOX somewhere.

If I had that tape it would be encased and framed, sitting on my mantle. lol

Wild.

astroman71
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1094 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 10:25 AM

4. "RE: Prince Wrote “Manic Monday’ For The Bangles (MicroChop swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

Prince was a big fan of the Bangles music...

...or he was trying to talk to Susanna Hoffs?

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Sep-18-17 10:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "could be both."
In response to Reply # 4

He seemed to know their music and spent some time with Hoff.

fuck you.

GROOVEPHI
Charter member
10630 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 02:47 PM

6. "i just googled her"
In response to Reply # 4

damn

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 05:15 PM

7. "she was some tight work back in the day, ain't too bad today"
In response to Reply # 4

>...or he was trying to talk to Susanna Hoffs?
>

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Jaymz
Charter member
2263 posts
Wed Sep-20-17 11:06 PM

9. "I thought Prince's crush on Susanna Hoffs was well known"
In response to Reply # 4

She had that soulful smokey-eyed look Prince always went for.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---j9IQibh--/19ctw830acp3fgif.gif

-----
Get over yourself.

squeeg
Charter member
34484 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 03:19 AM

10. "She definitely had a white Vanity/Apollonia vibe happening."
In response to Reply # 9

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Sep-21-17 07:17 AM

11. "it wasn't a huge thing."
In response to Reply # 9

1. Yeah, it's known.

2. It wasn't that deep.

3. He had an actual romantic relationship with Susanna Melvoin - Wendy's twin sister. Wrote several songs about her. She was in one of his side projects - The Family. She sang on his records and briefly toured with him as part of the Revolution.

fuck you.

MME
Charter member
11940 posts
Tue Sep-19-17 06:34 PM

8. "VIDEO: Prince, Wendy & The Bangles live 1986 - Manic Monday"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/g_vXtTWSolk

Lobby The Lesson topic #2995428 Previous topic | Next topic