Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2995199

Subject: "LIVING COLOUR - SHADE (out Sept 8th)" Previous topic | Next topic
eskimoluv
Member since Feb 28th 2003
296 posts
Thu Sep-07-17 04:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"LIVING COLOUR - SHADE (out Sept 8th)"

#1MoreDay til SHADE hits! Order http://smarturl.it/LivingColourSHADE

'Shade,' their first album since the critically acclaimed 'The Chair in the Doorway' in 2009, is Living Colour at the height of their creative powers, still experimenting as though they were upstarts instead of seasoned veterans. While the blues served as the foundation for the collection, one shouldn't expect to hear the 'down-home' style that was once the soundtrack of sharecroppers and southern juke joints before the music rode the rails north during the Great Migration. Living Colour's blues incorporate a myriad of influences, while speaking to the politically-charged climate of the times. 'What better way to talk to the world than through the blues?' vocalist Corey Glover asks. 'We recorded 'Preachin' Blues' several times to jump start the project and that got everybody fired up. After that, we were ready. 'Shade,' in its final outcome, is more of a deconstruction of the blues than an interpretation. It was the idiom that gave us our voice.' Produced by Andre Betts who first worked with Living Colour on their album 'Stain' in 1993 he would spend five years in the studio with the band perfecting the project. Initially introduced to Living Colour by their bassist Doug Wimbish, Betts was more than ready to face the challenge of working with such perfectionists. 'Making records is an art and a process, and sometimes it can be easier to herd cats,' Wimbish laughs. 'But, when it connects and we come together, it's a beautiful thing. 'Shade' is a testimony to who Living Colour is, to our chameleon quality.' Without a doubt, that quality comes across clearly on the 13-track effort. 'Shade' is a sonic journey that careens from the furor of 'Blak Out,' an old school thrasher that struts with a gangster boogie to 'Program,' a searing, socially-spiked cocktail that nods to the band's iconic hit 'Cult of Personality.' Stand-out tracks such as the acid funk balladry of 'Two Sides' (complete with a guest appearance by George Clinton) and the afro-punk fireworks of 'Glass Teeth,' prove Corey Glover's vocals to be stronger than ever, while Vernon Reid, long acknowledged as one of the most creative guitarists in modern rock, lives up to his reputation on album opener 'Freedom Of Expression (F.O.X.)' and the soul blues of 'Who's That?' Drummer Will Calhoun points to 'Invisible,' which pays homage the late Buddy Miles, among his favorites on the album.

it’s available in MP3, CD and VINYL.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
sounds good
Sep 07th 2017
Rolling Stone interview
Sep 08th 2017
fyi for the vinyl folks
Sep 08th 2017
Much much much better than the prior two albums.
Sep 14th 2017
live on Seth Meyers
Sep 15th 2017

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13953 posts
Thu Sep-07-17 04:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "sounds good"
In response to Reply # 0

I was thinking a more "earthy" thing from Living Colour might be what I want to hear.

I really want to hear them now more than ever before, now that music technology is so advanced.

c71
13953 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 12:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Rolling Stone interview"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/living-colour-on-blues-influenced-shade-notorious-big-w500839

Living Colour Talk Reconnecting With the Blues on First Album in Eight Years

Veteran rockers on how their new 'Shade' traces a line from Robert Johnson to the Notorious B.I.G.

By Bill Murphy

3 hours ago

According to founding guitarist Vernon Reid, Living Colour's new album was officially born onstage at the Apollo Theater one night back in early 2012. Reid and his bandmates – vocalist Corey Glover, bassist Doug Wimbish and drummer Will Calhoun – had been invited to take part in a show celebrating the life and legacy of blues giant Robert Johnson, and they responded with a roof-raising performance of "Preachin' Blues," a brooding dark horse in Johnson's famously sparse catalog.

"It wasn't an over-rehearsed thing," Reid recalls. "We just hit it, and right then and there I felt we connected very strongly to a part of that blues flow, in our own way. And just in that spontaneous moment, that's when I thought, 'Man, this feeling, or these stories, or this sense of things is a thread we can work with.' But we didn't set out to do a blues omnibus or a blues travelogue. I mean, we're urban people. But I think the blues is overlooked in its complexity. We see it so much that we don't even see it anymore, because the familiarity breeds a kind of conceptual contempt, you know? You stop hearing 'hellhound on my trail ...,' and what that means. So we really wanted to try to reconnect with the existential aspect of what the blues is talking about."

Shade, a fraught five years in the making and finally out today, is as much a deconstruction of the blues as it is a wide-ranging exploration of the form. The album also serves as a reminder that Living Colour have never been a band to shy away from layers of meaning, especially when the topic is sociopolitical. "Preachin' Blues" captures the chilling portent of the Johnson original, and updates it with a marauding, heavy-rock tread that seems to channel the uneasy malaise of the Trump era, even though the song was tracked when Obama was still in the White House. A similar sense of fear and anxiety permeates their version of the late Notorious B.I.G.'s "Who Shot Ya?" which the band released as a single last year, along with a provocative video that pays tribute to young black victims of police and vigilante shootings, while calling attention, with statistics, to the distinctly American phenomenon of rampant gun violence.

"I would do that song at soundchecks," says Glover, who sings Biggie's rhymes in a razor-sharp staccato, "but I would also talk about it every time somebody in the world got shot by somebody else, whether it was a cop or their best friend or their worst enemy, and how prescient the song was. The only thing that ruins a good time, in his estimation, and in my estimation, is when the guns come out. That was haunting to me – beyond the fact that he got shot and killed in L.A. His imagery about the idea of anyone pulling a gun on somebody else, looking at it from a distance, it's about bravado, but it's not. It's really the fear. It was personal. He knew it from both sides, and I just thought that was brilliant."

For all its charged-up moments – the stun grenade funk of "Come On," the relentless, riff-heavy "Program" (a scathing, and again eerily prescient, indictment of reality TV), the uncorked abandon of "Glass Teeth," or the rock-calibrated take on Marvin Gaye's classic "Inner City Blues" (featuring the rap poetics of Umar Bin Hassan) – Shade flows deliberately, even meditatively, like a concept album. It's testament not only to the guiding hand of producer Andre Betts (known for his work with Madonna, Lenny Kravitz, Joi and more), but also to the band's resiliency as a unit. Nearly every song went through numerous revisions, discussions and debates, which at one time or another tested everyone's commitment. The process stands in stark contrast to Living Colour's early career, when their breakthrough 1988 debut Vivid spurred the rapid succession of Time's Up and Stain before the band went on hiatus in 1995. But it's a way of working that nowadays, with each member past 50 and raising families, works for them.

"The reality of it is, we're brothers," Doug Wimbish asserts. "We've been together such a long time; we know how to make each other smile, and we can easily get under each other's skin, no problem. But we really love each other, no matter what's going on. We keep each other challenged and honest, and that comes out in our music."

Will Calhoun concurs, and then elaborates. "The essence of what keeps us together is our honesty about our existence – as artists, as black men, as fathers, as international citizens," the drummer says. "All those things keep us going. With the incidents that are happening today, we have a responsibility to express ourselves and combat those issues. But I'm not only talking about race and gender. I mean, we're also finding ways to survive and keep our art out there. What's next? I still think, as always, it's up to us."

"There was never a disconnection, for me, of blackness with rock music." –Vernon Reid

Coming full circle, Reid waxes philosophical (an easygoing quirk to which he's almost preternaturally prone) when asked about the relevance today of the mission behind the Black Rock Coalition, the organization he helped found in 1985 to address false narratives and stereotypes in rock history and the music industry. Unsurprisingly, he finds there's still plenty to be done.
"You know, there was never a disconnection, for me, of blackness with rock music," he says. "I look at a band like Unlocking the Truth, or TV on the Radio, or Gary Clark Jr. and a host of other artists that are up-and-coming, or I look at what happens at the Afropunk Festival every year in Brooklyn – I mean, it's evolutionary. We're all part of an ongoing conversation about what blackness is, and what it ain't. And it's not just that. I appreciate artists that have walked their own path and done their own thing in life. That's what I love about the band Soundgarden, and that's why the passing of Chris Cornell was such a personal blow, because I love that band so much. All these bands have pushed the boundaries and made us think about who we are as Americans, and it's very troubling because we'll never get over it."

He continues, alluding to how the conversation started by Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf and so many other blues legends – artists who sang about misfortune as a way to transcend it – might continue into the present. "We need a whole lot more compassion; men need to show a lot more compassion to each other with regard to depression. I don't mean to make that gendered, but we don't talk about our feelings at all, right? And the very fact that we're unable to connect to our feelings leads to every other bad thing that happens. They're all pieces of the same puzzle."

Numba_33
Charter member
19321 posts
Fri Sep-08-17 02:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "fyi for the vinyl folks"
In response to Reply # 0

There's a picture disc and colored version of the vinyl for this record available as well.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Numba_33
Charter member
19321 posts
Thu Sep-14-17 01:33 PM

4. "Much much much better than the prior two albums."
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't listening too deeply as the album was playing in the background while I was doing something else. The only track that sounded off to me was Glass Teeth, but I'll have to sit with the album again to be fair to that track. The album overall flowed very nicely together. Good to see the band return back to top form since I really didn't like their prior release that much.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

c71
13953 posts
Fri Sep-15-17 07:12 PM

5. "live on Seth Meyers"
In response to Reply # 0

Come on

https://youtu.be/94AfKIl1o5Q

Wall (from the "Stain" album)

https://youtu.be/IoJpaaX5wHs

Lobby The Lesson topic #2995199 Previous topic | Next topic