Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2994688

Subject: "D’ANGELO’S ‘BROWN SUGAR’ AND THE BIRTH OF A BLACK MUSICAL MESSIA..." Previous topic | Next topic
mackmike
Member since Jan 27th 2005
499 posts
Fri Aug-25-17 10:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"D’ANGELO’S ‘BROWN SUGAR’ AND THE BIRTH OF A BLACK MUSICAL MESSIA..."

In July, 1995, 21-year-old singer/songwriter/producer D’Angelo released his debut album, Brown Sugar and changed the sound of soul music forever. As inspired by ’90s hip hop as he was by dusty R&B jams and gospel, the future Black Messiah born Michael Eugene Archer woodsheded for most of his teenage years, transforming his bedroom in Virginia into a home studio. Sonically merging his favorite genres to create what his manager would later dub “neo-soul,” D’Angelo’s sound influenced and inspired a generation of left-of-center artists to do their musical thing.

“It’s about doing something new with soul, not replicating old soul” D’Angelo told writer David Toop in 1995. “You have to use soul to create your own thing.” However, as Johns Hopkins University professor Lester Spence points out, “When you listen to D’Angelo you know it’s new music, but it’s grounded in that ’60s/’70s soul feel. There are times when he sounds like Prince and other times when he’s taking it Teddy Pendergrass deep.”

https://massappeal.com/dangelo-brown-sugar-neo-soul

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
great article
Aug 25th 2017
Thanks 4 posting; same author that did the Wax Poetics article I think
Aug 25th 2017
RE: D’ANGELO’S ‘BROWN SUGAR’ AND THE BIRTH OF A BLACK MUSICAL ME...
Aug 26th 2017

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Fri Aug-25-17 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "great article"
In response to Reply # 0

yes

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Fri Aug-25-17 01:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Thanks 4 posting; same author that did the Wax Poetics article I think"
In response to Reply # 0

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

BlakStaar
Member since May 29th 2002
1261 posts
Sat Aug-26-17 09:37 AM

3. "RE: D’ANGELO’S ‘BROWN SUGAR’ AND THE BIRTH OF A BLACK MUSICAL ME..."
In response to Reply # 0

The reissue dropped yesterday.

Anyone cop it?

I'm debating whether I want the physical product. What them liner notes lookin' like?

--
"Music is not to be possessed; it's to be shared.” - James Mtume

"Just stay loose, keep it raw, and bang ya drums out sometimes." - Madlib

Lobby The Lesson topic #2994688 Previous topic | Next topic